Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Router Help

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need more ram

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=N82E16833320075

An alternative to trouble coverage areas is Ethernet over power adapters. Uses household electric and the adapter plugs into wall socket.

I have the monoprice version and works great.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum Online offers this "speed boost" internet for an extra $15 bucks a month. I first heard it "sucked" and was a "waste of money" but yesterday I hear it's "the best 15 bucks ever spent".

Anyone have any familiarity with the speed boosted, upgraded internet Cablevision/Optimum offer for the 15 a month?

Thanks

PS I am convinced now it is a provider thing more than a router issue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Optimum Online offers this "speed boost" internet for an extra $15 bucks a month. I first heard it "sucked" and was a "waste of money" but yesterday I hear it's "the best 15 bucks ever spent".

Anyone have any familiarity with the speed boosted, upgraded internet Cablevision/Optimum offer for the 15 a month?

Thanks

you may want to connect directly up to the cable modem and see what speed you have.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried flashing the firmware?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

First things first....every provider has different plan levels that give you X amount of speed for X amount of money.

What are you paying for? Which plan are you in? What's the upload speed that you are getting from Cablevision?

From there, we can tell you that if you put an ethernet cable from your router into your computer you are getting X upload speed on SpeedTest but are supposed to get X upload speed from your provider therefore you have a technical issue and they need to make a house call.

-or-

We can tell you that your wired speed is what they told you you'd get and then the issue is either a) your wi-fi router slowing you down or b) the fact that you have very slow internet from your provider (highly likely).

I looked for a chart like this (above) which is for FiOS for your provider and couldn't find it. For reference, I have the 150mbps FiOS quantum plan and it blows away their basic service, only costs me another $15 a month. With the wife and kids and XBOX and Apple TV and iPads we've got anywhere from 4-15 devices on at once, need all that bandwidth. You can see on the chart what each speed means in terms of downloads and such.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Oh, my. I found it. I almost don't want to tell you this but....

You are in the base package getting 15mbps and this "speed boost" for a ridiculous $15 more maxes out at 50mbps.

What most people don't realize is that those speeds are quoted for hard-wired connections (via ethernet cable) and not wireless connections (via wi-fi router). The connections via wi-fi often fall off by as much as 50% from the wired speed due to many factors (router quality, other devices in your airspace, etc.).

So I'm on a $39.99 FiOS plan at 150mbps which degrades to 75mbps on my router and you're on a $49.99 OptimumOnline plan at 15mbps which degrades to 8mbps on your router. I'm roughly 10x faster than you for $10 less a month.

You need to switch to FiOS. The TV picture quality and DVR will blow you away too.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    let's not forget the fine print that allows all ISP throttle down the bandwith of heavy users.

--------------------------

One major advantage of Optimum is they offer "FREE" downloads of newsgroup binaries files.

Another advantage with the Optimum "Boost" package is "FREE" website hosting with unlimited bandwidth from the website and "Free" domain" registration and renewals.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is a 150 dollar router really necessary? What about like a 50-100 dollar one?
    you want one that supports 802n and the latest WPA2 security. my verizon router was $79 AND supports gig ethernet on CAT5a

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    you want one that supports 802n and the latest WPA2 security. my verizon router was $79 AND supports gig ethernet on CAT5a

If he switches providers (he really should) and goes with FiOS (if it's available in his area) the cable modem is also the wi-fi router, no purchase required.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So this is how it is, Southtown?

We spend time helping you and you abandon the thread, no conclusion.

SAR I