Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jets in top 5 to land vick next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlucas4137 View Post
    Other than Vick and Campbell, who are the other Free Agent QBs available this offseason? Are we really gonna try and draft another QB and wait on him when we have a team that could realistically make a quick turnaround?

Are there any QBs in this upcoming draft that could have a serious impact? (this is a serious question, not a CFB buff).

Flacco isn't going anywhere and it seems like slim pickens elsehwere. I'm a huge dog lover (bulldog), but at this point I feel like I'd sell my soul for a championship. Vick is better than Sanchez and that's the bottom line.

I mean Jason Taylor was on this team. If that's not rock bottom, I'm not sure what is.
    The bigger issue is do you really want to spend 7-12 mil on a retread that gets you nothing. That is pretty much what Vick is IMO. There will be a few good vet min options we can explore. I'd draft a 1st then offer Leftwich, Batch, or Rex vet min as our #3. Most are retread BUs that will cost around 3-5 mil to sign. DA, Campbell, Edwards, and TJ. None are worth the money.
    Or do you look in someone elses trash hoping for gold like Daniel or Hoyer?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vick is done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason Campbell and Alex Smith will be the two best guys to bring in if your looking for a starter, with Matt Moore a distant 3rd. Either Campbell or Smith will require assurances that a Qb will not be drafted early, and that the job is theirs to lose. i think either one will take a low 1st year cap hit, with guarantees on the 2nd year, so that Sanchez $$$$ are not an issue.

Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer are there if you think Mckelroy is not the answer as a back up/Comp for Sanchez.

Campbell and Smith to me is what jet fans thought that they had in Sanchez. Guys that won't prevent you from winning a game.
    Last edited by patman; 12-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay...more grasping at straws

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Jason Campbell and Alex Smith will be the two best guys to bring in if your looking for a starter, with Matt Moore a distant 3rd. Either Campbell or Smith will require assurances that a Qb will not be drafted early, and that the job is theirs to lose. i think either one will take a low 1st year cap hit, with guarantees on the 2nd year, so that Sanchez $$$$ are not an issue.

Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer are there if you think Mckelroy is not the answer as a back up/Comp for Sanchez.

Campbell and Smith to me is what jet fans thought that they had in Sanchez. Guys that won't prevent you from winning a game.
    nice post.

it's a sad day when I'm looking forward to the possibility of Campbell or Smith as the Jets starting QB. With the QB draft class apparently weak this year, I don't see the Jets spending an early pick.. especially with all of the other holes they need to fill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--di...184931194.html

Lets examine this list.
    1. the Bills - Not a chance in hell they go after Vick. The owner is on his death bed and everyone is just waiting until they can sell the team to the highest bidder. Adding an aging QB that sparks protests among the few fans you have is not going to help them. They are already paying Fitz good money who is already an average QB. No way they spend more in FA then they have too. Chan has also had issues with mobile QBs that don't run his O in the past. Why would he put his job on the line like that?

2. Cleveland - Yeah that 1st round pick they just spent on a 27 year old QB their just going to sit after one year! lol Never mind they still have 0 WRs and a fan base that would hate Vick to no end.

3. Jets - OK possible. Dire need of a QB and it is in their MO to go with aging QBs instead of drafting one in a good QB class like this.

4. Zona - OMFG Not to call the racist card but I am pretty sure when Zona starts loosing with Vick he would be found dead in a field somewhere. Vick would be nuts to take any offer this team gives. Worst fit for any player IMO.

5 Philly - I get it but I doubt it. The fan base has never really liked him even when winning. They will go younger and move on IMO. Very low chance they even offer Vick a new deal.
    Actually they got one hell of a rookie receiver in Josh Gordon who is on pace for something around 800 yards and is a legit deep threat. Greg Little and Jordan Norwood are decent young guys aswell.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt very much Vick will be a Jet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    nice post.

it's a sad day when I'm looking forward to the possibility of Campbell or Smith as the Jets starting QB. With the QB draft class apparently weak this year, I don't see the Jets spending an early pick.. especially with all of the other holes they need to fill.
    This draft class isn't weak at all. It isn't overly strong either but is better then most. If your looking for a QB this is not a bad one to break down the prospects. You can find a starter in there just no ready made super starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Below are the top FA QBs for 2013. I would rather the Jets try for Moore, Stanton or Campbell rather then Vick.

All 3 of those QBs will provide quality competition for Sanchez and none will break the bank to sign.

Top Quarterbacks

Joe Flacco (BAL) - Into the final year of his rookie contract, the Ravens still don't know what type of quarterback they have under center. They do know that no quarterback in history has won more games in their first four seasons than Joe Flacco, which is encouraging. At the very least, if the sides are too far apart-which seems unlikely based on talks in early August-the Ravens will use their franchise tag to retain him for another year for about $15 million.

Jason Campbell (CHI) - As a starter for Oakland in 2010, Campbell was becoming a fairly efficient quarterback. Similar to Alex Smith whose career has seen a revival of sorts, Campbell could benefit from strong coaching and continuity. In Chicago, he's as strong a back-up as the league has to offer and at his age, it's unlikely that many teams will offer him more than that.

Tarvaris Jackson (BUF) - After having been beat out by a 10 million dollar man (Matt Flynn) and a 3rd round pick (Russell Wilson), Jackson was traded to the Bills. As a starting quarterback a year ago, Jackson began to show some progress as a quarterback. After chances in Minnesota and Seattle, it's unreasonable to believe he'll ever go into camp as a starter for a playoff contender. With mobility and enough playmaking ability, he is a strong back-uphis current role in Buffalo.

Matt Moore (MIA) - It didn't take long for Ryan Tannehill to beat out Moore as the Dolphins' starter. As a leftover from the previous regime, it seems unlikely that he'll remain in Miami through the next offseason. Matt Moore is a fairly reliable game manager with the capability of making just enough plays to scrape out a win or two here and there. After Jason Campbell, Moore may be a top option for teams looking for #2's on their roster.

Drew Stanton (IND) - In limited playing time, Stanton displayed leadership and enough playmaking skills to warrant serious looks as a back-up. With mobility and the arm talent to make NFL-level throws, he can lead an offense to points. There is definite interest in Stanton around the league after initially signing with the Jets and being traded to the Colts only after their move for Tim Tebow.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Vick, the guy is done. Can't stay on the field. The novelty wore off.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too sure why people think Vick is done

Give him a solid OLine, and he'll be the Vick of old

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vick's agent probably wrote that article... Let's see, list 5 plus teams that need and QB and then claim they all want my guy. Vick is done plus he is an *******. No way Woody brings a guy like that to the team.

It is going to be the same eventually with Griffin. Running QBs have a shelf life of about 4 years in the league. The human body just cannot take all those hits and continue. Griffin will last longer if he can eventually become a terrific reader of the D and quality pocket passer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Harbaugh coming with Smith? Because pre-Harbaugh Smith was similar to Sanchez....Campbell is terrible. He has no idea what to do with the ball...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    according to yahoo sports.

3. New York Jets The Jets are nothing if not daring and desperate, particularly after watching Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow spend the season flopping around like fish on the deck of a boat. Vick would serve a couple of purposes. First, he would be a serious upgrade in terms of talent. Second, and perhaps more importantly, he would boost ticket sales which have been stagnant for the past two years and are likely to decline after this season's fiasco.
    Lol.

No.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

And what has this 'Vick of old' done, except make everyone dream for a while, then wake up to the realization that you're not winning the SB with a guy that misses this many games, and makes your offense one-dimensional when he's there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take Vick if it ends the Sanchez era.
    Ala Favre/Pennington

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason Campbell and Alex Smith will be the two best to bring in if your looking for a starter, with Matt Moore a distant 3rd.
    Uh ... no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

Solid? Our O-line is just struggling to be average.

Vick will be a backup somewhere but not here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way I'd be okay with Vick on the Jets is if Tebow, Rex, Woody, and Tannenbaum are all gone- otherwise, it's a recipe for disaster. I'm in the minority but I'd much rather go after Alex Smith than Vick or Rivers.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    Keep that dog killer off my team.
    Would be the first year of my life I didn't cheer for the Jets.