Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey premiered last night

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,464

    COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey premiered last night

    Anyone catch it? I thought Neil did a great job. I like how they made this show look.

  2. #2
    Watched a bit, Christians aren't depicted too well

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    Watched a bit, Christians aren't depicted too well
    Here we go

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Here we go

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Just look at them..


  5. #5
    It would have been nice if they weren't talking about evolution as if it were a proven fact.

    They put way too much opinion in there when it's not needed. Makes them look like douchebags.

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,533
    Good science mixed in with too much anti-church crap. And I'm not a huge supporter of any church. Ironically the example they use to really bash the church was the guy Bruno -- who was a religious dude, not a scientist at all. Tyson trashes the church for taking an anti-science stance, using their persecution of Bruno as the evidence. But Bruno's ideas weren't based on any science or scientific examination at all -- they came from his dreams. Epic fail for Tyson/COSMOS on that front.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    It would have been nice if they weren't talking about evolution as if it were a proven fact.
    Well.....it's a show about science. And science says we have evolved.. I don't get what you want to see.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Good science mixed in with too much anti-church crap. And I'm not a huge supporter of any church. Ironically the example they use to really bash the church was the guy Bruno -- who was a religious dude, not a scientist at all. Tyson trashes the church for taking an anti-science stance, using their persecution of Bruno as the evidence. But Bruno's ideas weren't based on any science or scientific examination at all -- they came from his dreams. Epic fail for Tyson/COSMOS on that front.
    To be fair, he admited that.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,464
    Also, Druyan/Soter wrote the series..

    There is no doubt that the church didn't want anything to do with scientific fact.

  10. #10
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    It would have been nice if they weren't talking about evolution as if it were a proven fact.

    They put way too much opinion in there when it's not needed. Makes them look like douchebags.
    Did they state the truth as the broad scientific community sees it today? TELL MEE


    Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is both ambitious and quaint. It attempts to convey humanity’s most expansive ideas in the space of a weekly 44-minute TV series. That’s ambitious. The show is also unabashed in its commitment to truth—it matter-of-factly presents what we know about the universe, what we’re pretty sure about, and what we don’t know yet. Cosmos doesn’t hedge: You won’t hear the narrator, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, neuter any of his statements with a gratuitous “some people believe…” counterpoint. He states the truth as a broad scientific consensus understands it today. In a media environment where truth has to compete with a “balance” designed to prevent hurt feelings, Cosmos’ straightforward tack is quaint—laudably so.

    http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/cosmos-...cience--201981

  11. #11
    The Religious angry about science.

    Thats a new one.

  12. #12
    Sorry, if the best they can come up with is humans turned from a crawling fish into a monkey when it decided to "look up" and then into a human... Yeah. LoLz. OKAY

    And don't try to pass it off as fact. It's a thought and a ridiculous one at that. There are still monkeys but whatever.

    And also, the Catholic Church is one of the most evil organizations on the planet. So there ya go.

    Stop pretending evolution is fact. You may as well be angrily stating, very loudly I might add, that the earth is flat.

  13. #13
    I can already tell that this is going to turn into a steaming pile of shyt that belongs in the politics forum with the other cesspool shyt.
    I wonder who will get band

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    10,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Sorry, if the best they can come up with is humans turned from a crawling fish into a monkey when it decided to "look up" and then into a human... Yeah. LoLz. OKAY

    And don't try to pass it off as fact. It's a thought and a ridiculous one at that. There are still monkeys but whatever.

    And also, the Catholic Church is one of the most evil organizations on the planet. So there ya go.

    Stop pretending evolution is fact. You may as well be angrily stating, very loudly I might add, that the earth is flat.
    Darwinism is a RELIGION. Some of the most passionate followers I've ever seen.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Sorry, if the best they can come up with is humans turned from a crawling fish into a monkey when it decided to "look up" and then into a human... Yeah. LoLz. OKAY

    And don't try to pass it off as fact. It's a thought and a ridiculous one at that. There are still monkeys but whatever.

    And also, the Catholic Church is one of the most evil organizations on the planet. So there ya go.

    Stop pretending evolution is fact. You may as well be angrily stating, very loudly I might add, that the earth is flat.


    Ignorance is bliss, or so I hear.

    Maybe if you didn't want the thread to become ****, you could have refrained from injecting religious dogma into a show about science, eh?
    Last edited by Warfish; 03-10-2014 at 09:24 PM.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I can already tell that this is going to turn into a steaming pile of shyt that belongs in the politics forum with the other cesspool shyt.
    I wonder who will get band
    Banned*

    And can we just talk about the show. Religion causes nothing but war.

    I can't even handle how stupid you sound.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Ignorance is bliss, or so I hear.

    Maybe if you didn't want the thread to become ****, you could have refrained from injecting religious dogma into a show about science, eh?
    WTF you talking about? I wasn't the one who injected anything.
    If anything it was the creators who are ruining a perfectly good space show with idiotic superstitions and theories proclaiming them as fact.
    Oh well, you can't escape it anyways.

    It's like the moron who insists Barraco Balmer can do no wrong. :

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,464
    Please get out of the thread.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Please get out of the thread.
    I see I must have struck a nerve, and rather easily. I guess "tolerance" is not a strong suit of yours, eh?
    Forgive me for doubting a silly theory that I used to be a fish. When am I gonna get my set of wings for economical travel?!

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I see I must have struck a nerve, and rather easily. I guess "tolerance" is not a strong suit of yours, eh?
    Forgive me for doubting a silly theory that I used to be a fish. When am I gonna get my set of wings for economical travel?!
    Some guy just made us right? And before him? So you're saying it's much easier to believe some always present person created EVERYTHING right? A book told you so. I guess you should relive everything written inside.

    Religious loons are great. Don't you realize all wars, and all outrageous acts have religion behind them? I'll stay away from that, I'll hang out on Science's side.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us