Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Downhill Ski And New York State Ski Mountains List!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Admittedly, there was a jean ski phase from age 17-20.

Now admit you are an mouth-breathing cawk-gobbler and we're even.

-

We'll never be even because I've never skied in jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    A less mature person might make a joke about you wearing out your knees and hammys from hosting Barney Frank-ian marathon cock slurpings and being overzealous at the naked twister station at the NAMBLA picnic.
    A less mature person, yes.

I grew up with weekends on Bellaire mountain, but it sounds like you all need to get away from the ice-packed moguls of the northeast and get out to Colorado for beautiful, soft, knee-deep powder in the back bowls of Vail and Beaver Creek...no comparison b/w skiing on the east coast and going out west.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    We'll never be even because I've never skied in jeans.
    I'm still skiing. YOur knees hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Slopes is an absolute ****show.
    It was when I went there. Met my bride there. My buddy goes "This is my sistah". I go hello. She goes "howya doin" and keeps walking.

The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Not sure if you're talking about Timmy.

lol

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    True. the extra time it takes to drive to NH is made up on shorter lift lines. We prefer going to Bretton Woods and staying at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Bretton often gets snow when other areas get rain or nothing.
    My uncle retired NYPD became head security at Mt Wash hotel many years ago. that place is great all year round. When the kids were young, we would go there all year round.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm still skiing in skinny jeans. YOur knees hurt.
    -
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    My uncle retired NYPD became head security at Mt Wash hotel many years ago. that place is great all year round. When the kids were young, we would go there all year round.
    very cool. that place is beautiful.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I've never gone skiiing in my life. I think that's a little weird. Ah well.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I've never gone skiiing in my life. I think that's a little weird. Ah well.
    It a lot of fun, you should definitely try it. Shaped skis revolutionized the sport 17 years ago, rent a set for a weekend, take a few lessons, you'll love it.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    True. the extra time it takes to drive to NH is made up on shorter lift lines. We prefer going to Bretton Woods and staying at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Bretton often gets snow when other areas get rain or nothing.
    Love skiing. Used to do the whole Hunter Mt. House thing when I was in my 20's.

Got a house now in Pa. on a small Ski mountain so we all ski throughout the season including my 6 year old who is now in her third year of skiing.

Def. have to plan a trip or two to the places you guys posted about in the N/E. For some reason Ive never been to Maine, Vt. or NH, and want to bang out some winter/summer vacations up that way for once.

-
    We lived in Manhattan when we first got married and did the weekends up at Hunter and Windham too, had a great time.

Moved up to NH and had kids and skiing became the weekend activity, had season passes to a small family hill called Pats Peak which had a vertical drop of 710 feet, was great to teach the kids and such.

Eventually they got better and we started going regularly to Loon and Windham which have 2100 feet of vertical, a much better experience.

Relocated to NYC and we found Mountain Creek in Vernon NJ which is only 45 minutes from our home and while not perfect its a pleasant surprise for weekend trips here and there to keep our skills up. At 1040 vertical feet, it's longer than Pats Peak and close to home. Gondola to the top too, just crowded on weekends.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    had season passes to a small family hill called Pats Peak
    you really are broke

I didn't go skiing at all last season because there was no snow and it was generally warm in the Northeast.

So far this year, whilst not technically winter yet, same thing - no snow and above average air temperatures.

I have Atomic Nomad Smoke 178 skis, Atomic XTO 10 bindings, and Rossignol Alias 100 Sensor boots - all pretty generic equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWNYAyaB5f4

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    you really are broke
    At the time, my kids were 3, 6, and 8.

And it was 30 minutes from my house, can't beat that.

SAR I

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/us...lihood.html?hp

Climate Change Threatens Ski Industry, Leaving Slopes Bare

By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE
    December 12, 2012

NEWBURY, N.H. — Helena Williams had a great day of skiing here at Mount Sunapee shortly after the resort opened at the end of November, but when she came back the next day, the temperatures had warmed and turned patches of the trails from white to brown.

“It’s worrisome for the start of the season,” said Ms. Williams, 18, a member of the ski team at nearby Colby-Sawyer College. “The winter is obviously having issues deciding whether it wants to be cold or warm.”

Her angst is well founded. Memories linger of last winter, when meager snowfall and unseasonably warm temperatures kept many skiers off the slopes. It was the fourth-warmest winter on record since 1896, forcing half the nation’s ski areas to open late and almost half to close early.

Whether this particular winter turns out to be warm or cold, scientists say that climate change means the long-term outlook for skiers everywhere is bleak. The threat of global warming hangs over almost every resort, from Sugarloaf in Maine to Squaw Valley in California. As temperatures rise, analysts predict that scores of the nation’s ski centers, especially those at lower elevations and latitudes, will eventually vanish.

Under certain warming scenarios, more than half of the 103 ski resorts in the Northeast will not be able to maintain a season length of 100 days by 2039, according to a study to be published next year by Daniel Scott, director of the Interdisciplinary Center on Climate Change at the University of Waterloo in Ontario.

By then, no ski area in Connecticut or Massachusetts is likely to be economically viable, Mr. Scott said. Only 7 of 18 resorts in New Hampshire and 8 of 14 in Maine will be. New York’s 36 ski areas, most of them in the western part of the state, will have shrunk to nine.

In the Rockies, where early conditions have also been spotty, average winter temperatures are expected to rise as much as 7 degrees by the end of the century. Park City, Utah, could lose all of its snowpack by then. In Aspen, Colo., the snowpack could be confined to the top quarter of the mountain. So far this season, several ski resorts in Colorado have been forced to push back their opening dates.

Between 2000 and 2010 the $10.7 billion ski and snowboarding industry, with centers in 38 states and which employs 187,000 people directly or indirectly, lost $1.07 billion in revenue when comparing each state’s best snowfall years with its worst snowfall years.

Even in the Rockies, it is difficult to find enough water to make snow. After last year’s dry winter and a parched, sweltering summer, reservoirs are depleted, streams are low, and snowpack levels stand at 41 percent of their historical average.

At Sunlight in Colorado, the creek that supplies the pond that, in turn, provides water for snow guns has slowed to a near-trickle.

No there isn't. One of the best ski days of my life was in the back bowls of Louise. Challenging slopes and stunning views. Can't wait to go back someday.
    Yes, Likewise. Just a great place, normally oodles of snow and very beautiful. Sunshine village, not far away from Lake Louise gets an undogldy amount of snow but I always seemed to get grey low light days while skiing there.

Major snow storm headed to upstate New York and New England for Wednesday/Thursday.

Get your skis, everyone!

And Merry Christmas to all my fellow NEW YORK JETS fans!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Skii'd today in Pa. Couple of man made trails open at my local place, so I got in a few hours of icy goodness. About 4 inches of snow fell since, so tomorrow should be better.

Dranking the booze now.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Stratton Mountain VT

January 6

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Break a leg!

Or maybe both.

That means good luck, right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Awesome skiing this morning, 100% better than yesterday. Northern Pa. got about 6", so there was a perfect coating. Got to try out my new toy....my new left hip.

-

The Catskill mountain ski resorts got up to 15" of snow this week. Vermont and western Mass. got up to 21".