Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Downhill Ski And New York State Ski Mountains List!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

How To Downhill Ski And New York State Ski Mountains List!

Downhill skiing is a blast. It's easy once you learn how to control your speed and learn how to stop. There's tons of Youtube videos to show you the basics even before you get to the slopes. I've never snowboarded, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqlKakgQIx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wPr3xC6TU

Here's a link to a web site with most of the ski sites in New York State.

http://www.ski-guide.com/statemap.cfm/ny.htm

Belleayre Mountain
    Brantling Ski Slopes
    Bristol Mountain Ski Resort
    Catamount Ski Area
    Cortina Mountain Resort
    Dry Hill Ski Area
    Four Seasons Ski Center
    Gore Mountain
    Greek Peak Mountain Resort
    Holiday Mountain
    Holiday Valley Resort
    HoliMont Ski Area
    Hunter Mountain
    Kissing Bridge
    Labrador Mountain
    McCauley Mountain
    Mt. Peter Ski Area
    Mt. Pisgah Ski Area
    Oak Mountain Ski Center
    Peek'n Peak Resort and Spa
    Plattekill Mountain
    Royal Mountain Ski Area
    Sawkill Family Ski Center
    Snow Ridge Ski Resort
    Song Mountain
    Swain Resort
    Titus Mountain
    Toggenburg Mountain
    Tuxedo Ridge Ski Center at Sterling Forest
    West Mountain Ski Area
    Whiteface Mountain
    Willard Mountain Ski Area
    Windham Mountain Resort
    Woods Valley Ski Area

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hunter Mountain fan right here. I am biased though. Many are not too fond for a variety of reasons but I was introduced to this mountain later in life through a personal friend who happens to be connected up there and I enjoy it.

Watch out for the wackos, hackers and gapers though because the place can get wild on a Saturday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Hunter Mountain fan right here. I am biased though. Many are not too fond for a variety of reasons but I was introduced to this mountain later in life through a personal friend who happens to be connected up there and I enjoy it.

Watch out for the wackos, hackers and gapers though because the place can get wild on a Saturday.
    I've never been to a Catskill Mountain area slope because I'm scared to death of the wackos, hackers and gapers.

Over the NY-Mass border Jiminy Peak same thing. They actually have skiers crash into each other and die there.

www.jiminypeak.com/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    I've never been to a Catskill Mountain area slope because I'm scared to death of the wackos, hackers and gapers.

Over the NY-Mass border Jiminy Peak same thing. They actually have skiers crash into each other and die there.

www.jiminypeak.com/

Yeah. Word. I grew up skiing in New England myself (did Outer Limits in Killington in 6th grade) and Stowe is my favorite mountain up that way. However, let's just say my long time "significant other" happens to be "related" to the folks who "may or may not own" Hunter Mountain. I'd say it more directly but she hates when I tell people blah blah blah...so, when you ski for free, you really can't complain...especially with lift ticket prices these days.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that beginners don't realize, especially if the hill seems steep to them is that like riding a bike you need a certain amount of speed to be able to manuever properly.

Unfortunately I gave my skis and gear away as my knees were too wonky a few years back. As for hills/moutains, nothing like Lake Louise out there in Alberta.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One thing that beginners don't realize, especially if the hill seems steep to them is that like riding a bike you need a certain amount of speed to be able to manuever properly.

Unfortunately I gave my skis and gear away as my knees were too wonky a few years back. As for hills/moutains, nothing like Lake Louise out there in Alberta.
    Bf...I'm stealing the term "wonky" from you and calling it my own....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. Used to ski from age 4 to about 25. Don't have the knees (or hamstrings) anymore.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    O
    As for hills/moutains, nothing like Lake Louise out there in Alberta.
    No there isn't. One of the best ski days of my life was in the back bowls of Louise. Challenging slopes and stunning views. Can't wait to go back someday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post

www.jiminypeak.com/

when i was a kid they had a cable snap on the chairlift

they also had the lifts with the plastic bubble you could pull over the chairs and smoke weed.

i used to ski down the road at Brodie Mountain

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Live in NYS but outside of Whiteface Mtn there isnt one of those dumps on that list than even comes close to Stowe
    , Killington, Stratton, Mt Snow, Okemo or Jay in Vermont

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I'm with you. Used to ski from age 4 to about 25. Don't have the knees (or hamstrings) anymore.
    When I first met my wife, we decided that we were beach, not ski people. I'm still nostalgic for your basic ski vacation but that's mostly on account of the whole après ski thing. But if there's one thing I'm good at, it's finding a reason to start drinking so I'm ok missing out in that one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Avid skier here, go 10x a year with the whole family.

Try NH skiing, no lines. Loon Mountain and Waterville Valley are terrific alternatives to NY and Vermont.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    True. the extra time it takes to drive to NH is made up on shorter lift lines. We prefer going to Bretton Woods and staying at the Mt. Washington Hotel. Bretton often gets snow when other areas get rain or nothing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Love skiing. Used to do the whole Hunter Mt. House thing when I was in my 20's. Was a great time to be single; Race up there after work every Fri; Bang out SLopes, HVI or Tanners, grab some SMileys chicken then off to the slopes in the AM, saturday.

When I got married and started having kids, we would hit Shawnee mountain and stay at the Inn every year, but even that place got crowded.

Got a house now in Pa. on a small Ski mountain so we all ski throughout the season including my 6 year old who is now in her third year of skiing.

Def. have to plan a trip or two to the places you guys posted about in the N/E. For some reason Ive never been to Maine, Vt. or NH, and want to bang out some winter/summer vacations up that way for once.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Love skiing. Used to do the whole Hunter Mt. House thing when I was in my 20's. Was a great time to be single; Race up there after work every Fri; Bang out SLopes, HVI or Tanners, grab some SMileys chicken then off to the slopes in the AM, saturday.

When I got married and started having kids, we would hit Shawnee mountain and stay at the Inn every year, but even that place got crowded.

Got a house now in Pa. on a small Ski mountain so we all ski throughout the season including my 6 year old who is now in her third year of skiing.

Def. have to plan a trip or two to the places you guys posted about in the N/E. For some reason Ive never been to Maine, Vt. or NH, and want to bang out some winter/summer vacations up that way for once.

-
    You seem the type that skiis in Scotch-Guarded jeans.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    You seem the type that skiis in Scotch-Guarded jeans.
    Admittedly, there was a jean ski phase from age 17-20.

Now admit you are an mouth-breathing cawk-gobbler and we're even.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Avid skier here, go 10x a year with the whole family.

Try NH skiing, no lines. Loon Mountain and Waterville Valley are terrific alternatives to NY and Vermont.

SAR I
    Skiied Loon in the spring back in 07, decent mountain.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    Slopes is an absolute ****show. I prefer the "locals only" dive across the street, The Spinning Room. You can see some real **** up there in the winter man.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A less mature person might make a joke about you wearing out your knees and hammys from hosting Barney Frank-ian marathon cock slurpings and being overzealous at the naked twister station at the NAMBLA picnic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Slopes is an absolute ****show. I prefer the "locals only" dive across the street, The Spinning Room. You can see some real **** up there in the winter man.
    Not sure if you're talking about Timmy.