Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Downhill Ski And New York State Ski Mountains List!

JetsInsider.com Legend

Mountain Creek opened today, limited trails, but great conditions and very short lines. 2-5" of fresh powder falling as we speak atop really great groomed manmade stuff. For NYC area skiing, not a bad mountain at all.

Had a great time with the family, just got home, great to be up on the slopes again after a year.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-29-2012 at 03:26 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-XwY-fUXk

This is funny. Good parenting.

SAR I

Hunter Mountain is awesome. I highly recommend the Hunter Mountain B&B the guys who run that joint are Army Vets who supply good food and its right there in front of the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Hunter Mountain is awesome. I highly recommend the Hunter Mountain B&B the guys who run that joint are Army Vets who supply good food and its right there in front of the resort.
    Have you been to Hunter yet this season?

The Catskills got something like 20" of new snow in the past week. Air temperatures in the 20's - perfect for skiing.

I did not, I repeat: I did NOT make it to the slopes again this season. Reason: Not enough snow on the mountains. Better than last season but still not good.

Anyone else make it out?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post

I did not, I repeat: I did NOT make it to the slopes again this season. Reason: Not enough snow on the mountains. Better than last season but still not good.

Anyone else make it out?
    We've got season passes and a locker at Mountain Creek, we wound up going 7 times, broke down like this:

First 2 times, all man-made, they shut down the triple, the gondola sucks (you have to stand the whole way up)

Next 4 times, great conditions, couldn't be happier, fresh stuff + man-made, all chair lifts open, no more gondola mess.

Last 1 time, last weekend, horrible conditions, mashed potatoes, did one run, unpacked the locker, gave in for the season.

$300 pass ÷ 6 decent visits = $50 per day vs. regular rate of $65 per day. We didn't do night skiing, didn't double-up on a weekend, would have gotten a few more days in if we planned it better.

Outside of 1 weekend for baseball tryouts and 1 weekend for Florida Keys vacation, we went up the rest of the weeks. Mountain Creek isn't the best, but it's 50 minutes and has seasonal locker rentals so you never have to drag your equipment. Nice for where we live and what our schedule looks like.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Anyone else make it out?

Not enough snow? To go out once?

Got about 20 days in all together, including yesterday... which sucked.

The snowfall helped this week, but when it got warmer, it clumped up in many places causing the skiis to catch in bad spots. The sno-boarders seemed to have an easier time of it, but they also seemed to add to the clumping problem.

My mantra is to get there when the mountain opens because the sno-boarders seem to be late risers and once they arrive, raise havoc. I'm done by 1230 and having a beer while the boarder maniacs sit four abroad across trails discussing their latest falls.

All in all, a so so year, wish I could have made it to Vermont, but the small place I go to did a pretty good job of keeping their trails up and running.

-

A major snow storm for tonight/tomorrow is expected to drop TONS of snow in the Catskills, Adirondacks, western MA, and VT.

Additionally, the air temperatures all week are expected to be only in the low 30's - likely lower at the mountains.

Good skiing weather.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We've got season passes and a locker at Mountain Creek, we wound up going 7 times, broke down like this:

First 2 times, all man-made, they shut down the triple, the gondola sucks (you have to stand the whole way up)

Next 4 times, great conditions, couldn't be happier, fresh stuff + man-made, all chair lifts open, no more gondola mess.

Last 1 time, last weekend, horrible conditions, mashed potatoes, did one run, unpacked the locker, gave in for the season.

$300 pass ÷ 6 decent visits = $50 per day vs. regular rate of $65 per day. We didn't do night skiing, didn't double-up on a weekend, would have gotten a few more days in if we planned it better.

Outside of 1 weekend for baseball tryouts and 1 weekend for Florida Keys vacation, we went up the rest of the weeks. Mountain Creek isn't the best, but it's 50 minutes and has seasonal locker rentals so you never have to drag your equipment. Nice for where we live and what our schedule looks like.

SAR I
    I had a blast at Mountain creek this year with my 7 year old son. We flew up from Florida to Long island to stay with my mom on a Thursday. That Friday was the huge snowstorm that hit. Drove there early friday was there by 10:00am. Skied all day with fresh powder falling and nobody was on the mountain. Visability was great too for the amount of snow falling.

I think the lodge there is nice as well. Food was pretty good.

Upstate NY/New England expected to get first major snow storm of the 2013-2014 season Sat/Sun. Should be good skiing starting on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One thing that beginners don't realize, especially if the hill seems steep to them is that like riding a bike you need a certain amount of speed to be able to manuever properly.

Unfortunately I gave my skis and gear away as my knees were too wonky a few years back. As for hills/moutains, nothing like Lake Louise out there in Alberta.
    for scenery Lake Louise and Banff are second to none but greatest resort for me is Whistler.Just a great place for everything and Vancouver is such a beautiful city.

but for the proper skiing experience you guys need to get a passport and head to Europe.Done 2 trips to St Anton and 1 to Ischgl and I have to say there is nowhere like Austria....the après has to be seen to be believed.Spent nealy €1200 with 8 friends on beers and Jagerbombs in just under 3 hours at the legendary Mooserwirt in St Anton...best bit is you have ski the rest of the way down after they chuck you out.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It a lot of fun, you should definitely try it. Shaped skis revolutionized the sport 17 years ago, rent a set for a weekend, take a few lessons, you'll love it.

SAR I
    man I dunno how I ever managed to stand up on those old style planks....carvers changed everything but you still occasionally see some hardcore old boy in a luminous all-in-one bombing it down the mountain on those things

Jets Insider VIP
    I live within 15 minutes of Mountain Creek, Hidden Valley, and Mnt Peter . I love to ski and stopped recently when my wife hurt her hip. I was doing jumps and dared her to do it, and she landed on ice and hurt the hip.

Anyway, I loved going to Hunter Mnt when I was single and after skiing picking up chicks at the bars. Those were the good old days for sure.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    man I dunno how I ever managed to stand up on those old style planks....carvers changed everything but you still occasionally see some hardcore old boy in a luminous all-in-one bombing it down the mountain on those things
    LOL!! you dont see 210's anymore!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    LOL!! you dont see 210's anymore!!!!!!!!!!!
    ha ha,no you don't....you'd have to be Manute Bol to get anywhere close!

Come and get it, JETS fans!

The 2013-2014 downhill ski season has begun. The Catskills, Adirondacks, New England - everyone got a lot of snow last night and it's still snowing!

Powder snow. Cold temperatures. Perfect skiing conditions!

All League
    Ski Report app for droid or i-phone. You can enter favorite, or home ski areas, and they tell you base and any fresh. Also has a powder report of who had biggest overnight totals. Winner last night Stratton, 15".

Winter Storm Hercules 2014!

12" to 18" of snow predicted for all of upstate New York and most of New England starting tonight and ending tomorrow morning.

Air temperatures expected to be cold, too.

Perfect skiing conditions to end the week going into the weekend.

Metro-NYC area is expected to receive 5" to 8" of snow.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Winter Storm Hercules 2014!

12" to 18" of snow predicted for all of upstate New York and most of New England starting tonight and ending tomorrow morning.

Air temperatures expected to be cold, too.

Perfect skiing conditions to end the week going into the weekend.

Metro-NYC area is expected to receive 5" to 8" of snow.

Got about an inch or so last night in Pa., which was just about enough to cover the ice created by the weeks rain.

Was out early, and basically ski'd by myself for 3 hours before the old bones started yelping and the kids woke up.

Man I love it.

those are all p#ssy slopes.

Camelback baby