Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside looking in on the Jet's offseason

Outside looking in on the Jet's offseason

Assuming Rex stays on probation from a new GM, with an eye towards a hybrid defense flexing from a 3-4 to 4-3 on the nickle.
    All my cap numbers are from Jason. http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

This is based on a 122mill cap, a 4 mill rollover from 2012

Present 2013 cap allocation 141 mill to 39 players on the 2013 roster.This leaves the jets needing to cut 15 mill for the start of the league year.

Cuts,
    Pace, Scott, Jason Smith, Eric Smith, Pouha ---this saves 34 mill

Restructures,
    Extend Cro 2 years at 9 mill per year, this allows the jets to convert 2.3 mill of roster bonus and 5 mill of salary to a SB-------- This saves 5.5 mill
    Convert Mangolds 3.6 of roster bonus to a SB------This saves 2.4 mill
    convert 6mill of Dbrick salary to a SB-------------- This saves 4mill

Savings:
    from restructures 12 mill
    2012 cap leftover 4 mil
    Cuts 34 mill
    total 50 mill in credits

Allocated spending 141 mill
    savings 50 mill
    remainder 91 mill
    Est cap 122 mill

This leaves the jets with 31 mill for FA and rookies (league will require 6mill for rookies) Since the cuts, the jets now only have 33 players on the 2013 roster add the 7 draft picks that brings it up to 40. so the jets now have 25 mill to fill out the roster with 13 free agents.

jets FA

Sign Landry 4 years 20 mill-8 mill sb First year hit 3.0 mill
    sign Bell 1 year 1.5 mill
    Tender Austin Howard 1.8 mill
    sign Nick Folk 3 years 6 mll 2mill SB 1.5
    Sign Cumberland 1.25
    Sign Slauson 2 years 5 mill 2.5
    Sign Malone .75
    Total approx 13 mill

signed from other teams

Jason Campbell 3 yrs 10 mill 4mill SB 1st yr hit 3 mill
    Visanthe Shiancoe 1.5
    Antuan Barnes 3 years 8 mill 2.5
    Erin Henderson 3 years 10 mil 3 mill
    2 UDFA 1 mil
    total 11 + 13 for your own FA leaves about 2 mill for your practice squad

You are now younger and much faster at LB and have a QB to challenge Mark and who will be around if a draft pick is ever used for a QB.

This leaves you very weak on the dline - Ma'ake Kemoeatu may come in for vet min. But positions you well for the draft
    Last edited by patman; 12-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.

All Pro
    Nice work you put in!

I like a lot of the moves, lot of continuity in important areas (OLine, secondary, kicking game) and good cuts...

I'm not in favor of the defensive switch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Nice work you put in!

I like a lot of the moves, lot of continuity in important areas (OLine, secondary, kicking game) and good cuts...

I'm not in favor of the defensive switch though.
    I'm not really switching anything. Henderson and Barnes both played in 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I'm not really switching anything. Henderson and Barnes both played in 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.
    Sorry I misread your first sentence.

I don't really like the free agent signings but everything else looks good to me. Bottom line is Jets need a franchise quarterback and rebuild the team through the draft, like elite franchises do (Steelers, Pats, Baltimore, Houston etc.)

Bell is a JAG and will be 1yr older, I don't think he will be back.

Obviously the LB corps will be revamped, pace and Scott are certainly gone, Thomas may be back as depth. I don't know much about henderson and barnes so I can't comment on them, specifically But I agree with the principles in your post.

I'd consider Moore or Campbell, would like to draft a qb with potential to groom for the future.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I don't really like the free agent signings but everything else looks good to me. Bottom line is Jets need a franchise quarterback and rebuild the team through the draft, like elite franchises do (Steelers, Pats, Baltimore, Houston etc.)
    Houston didn't draft Schaub, they aquired him from Atlanta... just saying...

I think Shiancoe is a decent signing as Cumberland could learn from him and he should have something left in the tank. Just a solid veteran TE.

Barnes would be an underrated signing but he would be a perfect pass rusher off the bench. Undersized but already had a season with 11 sacks. Rex knows him from Baltimore, too.

Agree on Campbell and Henderson. Campbell is done and while I really like Henderson as a player, Demario Davis will be starting next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

All we need is an average QB and we win next years Superbowl /JI

Or even better, start McElroy, him and Tom Brady are a lot alike

Veteran
    Really good job Patman! Here is my take:

Laundry would be a good signing but not for that long. He deserves a new contract but I would say 3 years at $5m a year with $7m as a SB. I would not re-sign Bell. He's getting up there in age. We need youth at that spot, either draft or FA. Austin Howard at $1.8 a year is a good signing, but I would definitely pursue a veteran FA to back him up. Cumberland I am on the fence in resigning but it's unrealistic to think we will sign all new TE's so I guess he's a decent signing. But I'm not resigning Keller and I would go for a TE in the 3rd or 4th round in the draft. Slauson I would not sign for anything but backup money. His shoulders need surgery and he doesn't get push from the line.

One of the best things that have come out from this season is the play out of Folk and Malone. I definitely agree with both signings and wouldn't mind signing Malone to a 2 year deal.

Jason Campbell is a solid signing, but I don't think he comes here. Chicago will probably re-sign him. I would sign another backup QB at the same rate, if he's available then sign him. Shiancoe isn't a duel threat he doesn't block well. We have had to bring in other OL in certain packags because our TE's can't block well. I want that to stop so our offense can be more dynamic. I like Antwan Barnes to take over the vacancy of Pace. Erin Henderson would be a great addition to our team and would improve our overall speed on defense.

We would need to sign or draft 2 OG's to take over for Moore and Slauson. I have said multiple times that Warmack should be our first round pick this year. He has the ability to start and dominate year 1. He would also give us push for whomever is running behind him.

A lot of what we do depends on who our new GM will be. God willing we have a new one.

I like the restructures you had... Good value added from a Pat fan. Kudos...

Why Jason Campbell?

I saw nothing from him in that game with SF

Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    I saw nothing from him in that game with SF
    What would you expect to see from a qb that has not taken snaps with the 1st string all year playing against one of the best defenses in the NFL? Your signing Campbell, not Manning or Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Houston didn't draft Schaub, they aquired him from Atlanta... just saying...

I think Shiancoe is a decent signing as Cumberland could learn from him and he should have something left in the tank. Just a solid veteran TE.

Barnes would be an underrated signing but he would be a perfect pass rusher off the bench. Undersized but already had a season with 11 sacks. Rex knows him from Baltimore, too.

Agree on Campbell and Henderson. Campbell is done and while I really like Henderson as a player, Demario Davis will be starting next year.
    The rest come from the draft, with the exception of Shaub and Jonathan Joseph. Pretty key players in the, both and I'm hoping one day Jets can grab a free agent or trade with impact of both these players.

Don't want Slauson or Cumby back both are trash IMO. Slauson will also want more years then that and likely more money. I'll pass Also way overpaid for Folk IMO. He is replaceable easy.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 12-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Good work and some agreeable moves however I have to say I friggin hate the hybrid defense. All it means is that half the time you have guys playing positions they are not best suited for. (See Coples playing DE in a 3-4) OLB's and DE's have such totally different skill set needs in a 3-4 vs 4-3 that they get exposed when playing a position that does not suit them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    All we need is an average QB and we win next years Superbowl /JI

Or even better, start McElroy, him and Tom Brady are a lot alike
    the more you post the more I like the cut of your jizz...

Forget Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What would you expect to see from a qb that has not taken snaps with the 1st string all year playing against one of the best defenses in the NFL? Your signing Campbell, not Manning or Brady.
    No elite QBs in the FA market. We will need a QB that will produce more than Sanchez. I saw more from Sam Batch against a top defense like the Ravens than from Campbell and he is 38 years old.

Correction

Make that Charlie Batch

Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    No elite QBs in the FA market. We will need a QB that will produce more than Sanchez. I saw more from Sam Batch against a top defense like the Ravens than from Campbell and he is 38 years old.
    Top defense-Ravens? I am not a stats guy to be sure. The ravens give up 7 more points per game than the 49ers. 1/2 the games this year the ravens gave up more than 20 points. This years ravens team is not the same without Webb, Lewis and Suggs, plus the loss of Redding and Johnson from last years starting Defense, To give you even a more telling stat, the other team has the ball for 6 min more a game. and have out rushed and out passed the Ravens.

Batch has been in the Pitt offense for what 8 years? Campbell had one practice in pads before facing the 49ers. Remember nfl teams now can only practice one day per week in gear. And you know during that practice Campbell is running the Scout teams offense, not his own. The last time he ran the Chicago offense in pads was in training camp. Leftwich runs the scout team in Pitt, Batch at least get snaps in his own offense.

If you think Alex Smith development was held back by playing for 4 Different OC, Campbell has now qb for 6 different OC in 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Good work and some agreeable moves however I have to say I friggin hate the hybrid defense. All it means is that half the time you have guys playing positions they are not best suited for. (See Coples playing DE in a 3-4) OLB's and DE's have such totally different skill set needs in a 3-4 vs 4-3 that they get exposed when playing a position that does not suit them.
    Henderson has played inside and outside, and is a very good coverage backer.
    Barnes has played olb in a 4-3 and in Rex's 3-4. All you are pretty much doing
    is replacing a ILB Harris with a DE. Rex pretty much already does it when he has pace put his hand in the ground. It is just the the exisitng Jet LBs are too slow to be effective.