Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside looking in on the Jet's offseason

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Don't want Slauson or Cumby back both are trash IMO. Slauson will also want more years then that and likely more money. I'll pass Also way overpaid for Folk IMO. He is replaceable easy.
    Slauson may want and may get more. But I looked over the FA lists for next year and I can't find any one better that will play for less than 3mill a year.
    Maybe Donald Thomas from the pats is better.

Folk 3 years at 2mill with the first year at 1.5 mill is too much? he is a 7 year vet, the min for him has to be close to 1mill by now. ok you can save 500,000 and now have to find another kicker for a team in the NE.

If you think there is another te that you can get for 1.25 mill please let me know. This is not an offseason that is going to change the Jets into a SB contending team. This offseason is designed to bring in some cheap players
    that can start now and rotate to B/U role as young talent is brought in with
    2014 cap space for FA and in the 2013 and 2014 drafts. My offseason plan was to stop the bleeding.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Top defense-Ravens? I am not a stats guy to be sure. The ravens give up 7 more points per game than the 49ers. 1/2 the games this year the ravens gave up more than 20 points. This years ravens team is not the same without Webb, Lewis and Suggs, plus the loss of Redding and Johnson from last years starting Defense, To give you even a more telling stat, the other team has the ball for 6 min more a game. and have out rushed and out passed the Ravens.

Batch has been in the Pitt offense for what 8 years? Campbell had one practice in pads before facing the 49ers. Remember nfl teams now can only practice one day per week in gear. And you know during that practice Campbell is running the Scout teams offense, not his own. The last time he ran the Chicago offense in pads was in training camp. Leftwich runs the scout team in Pitt, Batch at least get snaps in his own offense.

If you think Alex Smith development was held back by playing for 4 Different OC, Campbell has now qb for 6 different OC in 8 years.
    Sorry but if I wanted excuses for failure on the field then I would stick with Buttchese

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    No elite QBs in the FA market. We will need a QB that will produce more than Sanchez. I saw more from Sam Batch against a top defense like the Ravens than from Campbell and he is 38 years old.
    1. The Ravens Defense isn't in the same galaxy as the 49ers defense in 2012

49ers 14.2 Points allowed (1st in NFL)
    Ravens 20.2 Points Allowed per game ( 9th in NFL)

49ers 189 Passing Yards allowed per game (2nd in NFL)
    Ravens 246.5 Passing Yards Allowed per Game (23rd in NFL)

2. The Chicago offensive line is abysmal. For all the **** that Cutler gets, the Bears QBs are getting destroyed this season. Against the 49ers he had no change.

ALso, I think Campbell is just a standin for 'veteran QB who can start' but this isn't like last season when Orton, Moore, and others were out there. All I can see with any value is Batch (38 years old), Campbell, and Joe Flacco (probably will get a somewhat big deal from Baltimore)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    Sorry but if I wanted excuses for failure on the field then I would stick with Buttchese
    Excuses? You don't think being a back up qb, and having one padded practice is a valid reason for a subpar performance in an away game against the #1 defense in the NFL?

But you are impressed with a guy who has been in the same system for 8 years won a rivalry game against the team in the bottom 25% of the NFL in pass defense.
    Last edited by patman; 12-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming Rex stays on probation from a new GM, with an eye towards a hybrid defense flexing from a 3-4 to 4-3 on the nickle.
    All my cap numbers are from Jason. http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

This is based on a 122mill cap, a 4 mill rollover from 2012

Present 2013 cap allocation 141 mill to 39 players on the 2013 roster.This leaves the jets needing to cut 15 mill for the start of the league year.

Cuts,
    Pace, Scott, Jason Smith, Eric Smith, Pouha ---this saves 34 mill

Restructures,
    Extend Cro 2 years at 9 mill per year, this allows the jets to convert 2.3 mill of roster bonus and 5 mill of salary to a SB-------- This saves 5.5 mill
    Convert Mangolds 3.6 of roster bonus to a SB------This saves 2.4 mill
    convert 6mill of Dbrick salary to a SB-------------- This saves 4mill

Savings:
    from restructures 12 mill
    2012 cap leftover 4 mil
    Cuts 34 mill
    total 50 mill in credits

Allocated spending 141 mill
    savings 50 mill
    remainder 91 mill
    Est cap 122 mill

This leaves the jets with 31 mill for FA and rookies (league will require 6mill for rookies) Since the cuts, the jets now only have 33 players on the 2013 roster add the 7 draft picks that brings it up to 40. so the jets now have 25 mill to fill out the roster with 13 free agents.

jets FA

Sign Landry 4 years 20 mill-8 mill sb First year hit 3.0 mill
    sign Bell 1 year 1.5 mill
    Tender Austin Howard 1.8 mill
    sign Nick Folk 3 years 6 mll 2mill SB 1.5
    Sign Cumberland 1.25
    Sign Slauson 2 years 5 mill 2.5
    Sign Malone .75
    Total approx 13 mill

signed from other teams

Jason Campbell 3 yrs 10 mill 4mill SB 1st yr hit 3 mill
    Visanthe Shiancoe 1.5
    Antuan Barnes 3 years 8 mill 2.5
    Erin Henderson 3 years 10 mil 3 mill
    2 UDFA 1 mil
    total 11 + 13 for your own FA leaves about 2 mill for your practice squad

You are now younger and much faster at LB and have a QB to challenge Mark and who will be around if a draft pick is ever used for a QB.

This leaves you very weak on the dline - Ma'ake Kemoeatu may come in for vet min. But positions you well for the draft
    Nice job!.The only ones I really disagree with are the signings of Campbell,and I don't think they are gonna resign Bell or Slauson.I think they will resign Keller

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slauson may want and may get more. But I looked over the FA lists for next year and I can't find any one better that will play for less than 3mill a year.
    Maybe Donald Thomas from the pats is better.

Folk 3 years at 2mill with the first year at 1.5 mill is too much? he is a 7 year vet, the min for him has to be close to 1mill by now. ok you can save 500,000 and now have to find another kicker for a team in the NE.

If you think there is another te that you can get for 1.25 mill please let me know. This is not an offseason that is going to change the Jets into a SB contending team. This offseason is designed to bring in some cheap players
    that can start now and rotate to B/U role as young talent is brought in with
    2014 cap space for FA and in the 2013 and 2014 drafts. My offseason plan was to stop the bleeding.
    Your talking a below average NFL K that pretty much no one would want. Seriously other then Miami and Carolina there aren't many teams that he would be an upgrade for.

I'll take any TE over Cumby he is horrid. Can't block or run routes rights. Why is he even still on this team? For 1.25 mil you can keep him. Draft a 5th 6th rounder and move on from crappy TE transplants already. Hell sign Pope or Heller would be an upgrade at the BU TE spot.