Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: The Official "The Jets Just Won But I Feel Still Feel Crappy..." Thread...

  1. #21
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. Because the Jets picked a few busts, draft position means nothing. Brilliant logic. Tell it to Indy.
    It makes perfect sense. It's not WHERE you pick, it's WHO you pick.

    Picking 12th instead of 8th or picking 17th instead of 14th will not make or break the future of the New York Jets.

    And what exactly should I be "telling to Indy"? Is there a Luck in the draft coming that I'm unaware of? Is there some formula where, before today, we lose out and get the #1 pick? Is there some magic wand we can wave and eliminate Sanchez AND his cap hit.

    Lets see, no, no and no. So I guess there in't much to say to Indy afterall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Or, if we are clearly a bad team with fools running the show - and an owner with a history of holding no one accountable - we may as well be 0-16 because that is probably the only way he will do the right thing and blow it up.
    I disagree with your premise. We are not, IMO, a "clearly bad team".

    We're a team that lost it's two best players and playmakers, and has a truly bad player at it's most vital position (QB).

    We're a little slow at LB, and admittedly weak in the pass rush.

    Thats it. And thats not a "clearly bad team". Jacksonville is a clearly bad team. We're a clearly average team, when playing without our best players all year, and with Sanchez at the helm.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post


    I disagree with your premise. We are not, IMO, a "clearly bad team".

    We're a team that lost it's two best players and playmakers, and has a truly bad player at it's most vital position (QB).

    We're a little slow at LB, and admittedly weak in the pass rush.

    Thats it. And thats not a "clearly bad team". Jacksonville is a clearly bad team. We're a clearly average team, when playing without our best players all year, and with Sanchez at the helm.

    A little slow at LB and admittedly weak in the pass rush.... you do realize it's been that way for 7 seasons (psst: that's the length of Mike Tannenbum's tenure of GM). So you think suddenly he will become smart if given one more chance.

    PS - We had Revis and Holmes all of last year and finished 8-8. You are no different than this front office in completely overrating the talent on this team.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Toooooooon is not a SOJF

    Toooooooon is not a Jet fan at all

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

    Toooon has been a Jet fan for 32 years. Obviously longer than you because I've been through this cycle before - multiple times. Keep repeating mistakes of the past and... well, you know (or should).

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    A little slow at LB and admittedly weak in the pass rush.... you do realize it's been that way for 7 seasons (psst: that's the length of Mike Tannenbum's tenure of GM). So you think suddenly he will become smart if given one more chance.
    I do, and it's an absolutely legitimate criticism of this regime.

    With that said, we're not bad enough at LB or pass rush for that to be why we're 8-8'ish this year.

    We're 8-8'ish because of one player, Mark Sanchez.

    PS - We had Revis and Holmes all of last year and finished 8-8. You are no different than this front office in completely overrating the talent on this team.
    And you're following the same old Jet Fan hysteria and unrealism. Fire everyone, cut everyone, all new players, wargarbl.

    The NFL isn't Madden 2013. If you blow it all up, you're STILL stuck one more year with the worst QB in the NFL with Sanchez. You can only turn over so much talent in one offseason. And you're stuck with year one of a whole new system and new regime that may or may not suck 100% more then Rex and Co. has.

    Change is not a sure route to success. You tell me to ask Indy, I tell you to ask the Steelers.

    If you ran the Steelers, you'd have fired Bill Cowher as a bust before he won his Title. You know it, and I know it.

    But I bet you're in the crowd who now thinks hiring that very same Bill Cowher (100% unrealistic idea that that is) is a sure fire whay to a title, despite the horrific record of former title-winning coaches trying again elsewhere.

    Relax Toon. It is what it is. Rex and Co. will all be back next year, like it or not.

    May as well come to terms with it.

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I do, and it's an absolutely legitimate criticism of this regime.

    With that said, we're not bad enough at LB or pass rush for that to be why we're 8-8'ish this year.

    We're 8-8'ish because of one player, Mark Sanchez.


    I'm sorry, who was the one who TRADED UP to get Mark Sanchez in '09? One year after sacrificing a full season to bring in Brett Favre to a team that wasn't a QB away from a championship. And that was one year after he mishandled Pete Kendall, getting Pennington hurt again and destroying an entire season. This is a guy who traded away so many draft picks that we picked half the players the Patriots did over a 4 year span, in a league where every successful team builds through the draft. Why has this man earned yet another season? Should I remind you that Terry Bradway was never really fired but just "reassigned" to quiet the media and fans, meanwhile he still has a major voice in personnel. These guys have been here a decade. When does it end?
    Last edited by Toooon; 12-09-2012 at 07:59 PM.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing's wrong with you. You care about the long term success of the team. Those who want to get in at 9-7 by beating a bunch of nobodies only to get EMBARRASSED in the Wild Card round are clueless. This organization then will sit on their hands because "Revis and Holmes were out" and will make ZERO changes, will bring in no real competition for Sanchez and we'll be dancing around .500 once again, if we're lucky, in 2013. Schedule only gets harder next year with the AFC North and NFC South on tap.

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I'm sorry, who was the one who TRADED UP to get Mark Sanchez in '09?
    Tanny and Rex.

    A move supported almost universally by Jets Fans and talent evaluators at the time. I should know, I questioned it here and was roundly crushed for it.

    It was logical. The team at the time had no QB, and needed one, and he was the best on offer in our range. I don't fault them for the choice.

    One year after sacrificing a full season to bring in Brett Favre to a team that wasn't a QB away from a championship.
    Such revisionism.

    If Favre doesn't get hurt, that team that year was absolutely a legitimate contender. Only his injury stopped a deep run. How quickly folks forget the details.

    And that was one year after he mishandled Pete Kendall, getting Pennington hurt again and destroying an entire season.
    More revionism. Kendall was close to done (remind you of anyone?) and cost far more than he was worth, and did bupkis in the league once he was gone.

    Pennington got hurt because Pennington was an fragile china egg. He was what he was.

    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Fans lynch Tanny when he dumps an expensive past-his-prime lineman, and lynch him if he keeps a past-his-prime lineman.

    Fans, comfortable in their 20/20 hindsight, always knew best....they just didn't say so til afterwards.

    This is a guy who traded away so many draft picks that we picked half the players the Patriots did over a 4 year span, in a league where every successful team builds through the draft.
    Please, get the Pats penis envy out of here, it's not becoming.

    The Pats win because of two things. Brady. And Bellichek. The rest is details, and not even great details at that. They got a few great choices (same as us) and many, many, mnay clunkers (far more than us). For every brilliant Pats pick, we have one as well....which doesn't speak much to the Pats 100 draft picks a year tactic.

    Difference is, they have Brady throwing to these guys and scoring 35 a game.

    We have....Sanchez.

    These guys have been here a decade. When does it end?
    Probably the first year we have a losing record under Rex.

    Which won't be 2012.

    I'd say next season is the make-or-break in Woody's mind. Better than 8-8 AND a playoff birth, or Rex, Tanny and Bradway are gone and a new regime in.

    So....I guess we can count you in rooting against us again next year too?
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Nothing's wrong with you. You care about the long term success of the team. Those who want to get in at 9-7 by beating a bunch of nobodies only to get EMBARRASSED in the Wild Card round are clueless. This organization then will sit on their hands because "Revis and Holmes were out" and will make ZERO changes, will bring in no real competition for Sanchez and we'll be dancing around .500 once again, if we're lucky, in 2013. Schedule only gets harder next year with the AFC North and NFC South on tap.
    The homers don't get it. They just don't understand football. We have no QB. There is nothing to be excited about until we have one. A playoff appearance? LOL I mean come on.

  9. #29
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I don't need to argue against it. Facts do it for me.

    In a year where we lost our best and lynchpin Defensive Player (and Best CB in the league), our biggest Offensive playmaker (Holmes), and have a QB who is 32nd in the league and #1 in turnovers......we're still very possible to go 8-8.

    Alot of teams suffer those three things, they win 2 games. We have 6, with three to play.

    Ask the 2 win Jacksonville Jaguars if they prefer a 2 win season no one feels like talking about.

    We're the "laughing stock" because of, in order:

    1. Tebow, poorly handled.
    2. New York Media
    3. New York Fans SOJF, Gotta-be-like-the-Yankees-and-always-dominate hysteria

    I assure you, no one in D.C. is talking about the Jets as the "laughing stock". Rex gets lols cause he's Rex, no more than when we went to back to back AFCCG's tbqh. Same jokes, same sillyness.



    We don't need to rebuild because we're simply not as bad or as talentless as SOJF thinks, and the New York Media would like you to believe.

    We are, at most, three or four players from being as good as anyone. Sadly, one of those positions in QB, and that is what it is. Other than that, we're absolutely respectable as-is, and can re-tool this offseason. No rebuild required.
    Nice post WF. We suck because in a QB driven league our QB is very poor

  10. #30
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Think about how well Coples and Wilkerson played and think about how those two will anchor our DLine for the upcoming decade...
    I'm down with that.

    If Ellis can stay healthy, our DL is set for the next 4-5 years.

    After that, one (if not more) of these guys will command an outrageous contract.

    But I'm cool.

    If there's one area where Rex and Tanny have shown some competence, it's the DL.

  11. #31
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Why is it even after this team wins, it feels like a loss. And since when did the Jets win 3 out of the last 4? WTF is going on here?
    you read too much JI and Daily News.

    Everything is focused on one disastrous loss rather than having perspective.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Tanny and Rex.

    A move supported almost universally by Jets Fans and talent evaluators at the time. I should know, I questioned it here and was roundly crushed for it.

    It was logical. The team at the time had no QB, and needed one, and he was the best on offer in our range. I don't fault them for the choice.



    Such revisionism.

    If Favre doesn't get hurt, that team that year was absolutely a legitimate contender. Only his injury stopped a deep run. How quickly folks forget the details.



    More revionism. Kendall was close to done (remind you of anyone?) and cost far more than he was worth, and did bupkis in the league once he was gone.

    Pennington got hurt because Pennington was an fragile china egg. He was what he was.

    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Fans lynch Tanny when he dumps an expensive past-his-prime lineman, and lynch him if he keeps a past-his-prime lineman.

    Fans, comfortable in their 20/20 hindsight, always knew best....they just didn't say so til afterwards.



    Please, get the Pats penis envy out of here, it's not becoming.

    The Pats win because of two things. Brady. And Bellichek. The rest is details, and not even great details at that. They got a few great choices (same as us) and many, many, mnay clunkers (far more than us). For every brilliant Pats pick, we have one as well....which doesn't speak much to the Pats 100 draft picks a year tactic.

    Difference is, they have Brady throwing to these guys and scoring 35 a game.

    We have....Sanchez.



    Probably the first year we have a losing record under Rex.

    Which won't be 2012.

    I'd say next season is the make-or-break in Woody's mind. Better than 8-8 AND a playoff birth, or Rex, Tanny and Bradway are gone and a new regime in.

    So....I guess we can count you in rooting against us again next year too?

    Don't say revisionist to me. Go look back at my posts at the time those things happened. I said the same things at the time. Say what you want about Kendall, he was a starter and there was no capable backup behind him. Tanny made that move with no plan B and it killed an entire season. Absolutely 100% disagree about Favre being the missing piece on that team. Please. That was an average team and he was near the end. The next year he went to a team with far more talent and almost got to the SB. As for Sanchez, I hated the pick at the time. He played one season in college and proved nothing. There were tons of scouts who questioned it. Did we need a franchise QB? Absolutely. But there were far too many questions about Sanchez to reach for him at that time. If Favre never happened (as it shouldn't have) we may have addressed QB in '08. As for the Pats, you can argue whether they've made the most of their picks, but you can't argue which strategy is more sustainable long term. Give me twice as many picks over 4 years as you, and there is an overwhelming chance I'll do better. It's simple math.

    Add those tragic Tanny moves to the fact that we haven't improved the pass rush since he took the job in 2006. His answers? Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston, plus free agent gambles like Maybin. I actually liked the Gholston pick at the time because we were so desperate for a pass rusher. And 4 years later, we still are. But yeah, let's keep giving the Tanny/Brandway regime more chances. They are clearly so competent...

  13. #33
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon
    Say what you want about Kendall, he was a starter and there was no capable backup behind him. Tanny made that move with no plan B and it killed an entire season.
    First, Tanny didn't make a decision, Kendall did. Second, Kendall wasn't worth a long-term deal at that point (as his post-Jets career clearly shows) or the big money he wanted. Third, the loss of Kendall hurt, yes, but was not the cause of downfall that season. I'm sorry, but blaming the entire season on Kendall is absolutely an incorrect evaluation of history.

    Absolutely 100% disagree about Favre being the missing piece on that team. Please. That was an average team and he was near the end.
    And you're simply wrong IMO. Look at the Jets record was before Favre's injury caught up with him, and look at Favre's record after he left us. No injury, we're a Super Bowl Contender that year, and thats based on the facts, the record and the quality of wins prior to the injury, and how Favre played the that year till hurt, and the following year elsewhere. he was close to done, he wasn't done.

    The next year he went to a team with far more talent and almost got to the SB.
    Lol, "more talent". The only difference is he didn't get hurt in Minny.

    As for Sanchez, I hated the pick at the time. He played one season in college and proved nothing. There were tons of scouts who questioned it. Did we need a franchise QB? Absolutely. But there were far too many questions about Sanchez to reach for him at that time.
    Then we agreed back then, good for us. It remains that the team's biggest need was a QB, and that was the ebst available, and the deal we made to aquire him was as cheap as any move-up deal has ever been. The move was risky, but valid given the situation.

    If Favre never happened (as it shouldn't have) we may have addressed QB in '08.
    Possibly. Possibly not.

    As for the Pats, you can argue whether they've made the most of their picks, but you can't argue which strategy is more sustainable long term. Give me twice as many picks over 4 years as you, and there is an overwhelming chance I'll do better. It's simple math.
    Again, I don't have to argue, the facts speak for themselves. The Jets, with far fewer picks, have drafted as many playmakers and hits over the past bunch of years as the Pats have. The Pats have missed on a TON of players, same as us, and most of their late depth picks are just as **** as our non-drafetd depth players.

    Math? Maths says a team that gets say, 5 hits and 10 busts is draftting better than a team that has 5 hits and 50 busts. More picks is indeed more opportunity, but the Pats havn't made much of that opportunity. Brady and Bellichek, THAT is where they win. Not their 58,981 7th round picks the last 10 years, 58,980 of whom are no longer int he NFL.

    Add those tragic Tanny moves to the fact that we haven't improved the pass rush since he took the job in 2006. His answers? Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston, plus free agent gambles like Maybin. I actually liked the Gholston pick at the time because we were so desperate for a pass rusher. And 4 years later, we still are. But yeah, let's keep giving the Tanny/Brandway regime more chances. They are clearly so competent...
    Agaian, we're in full agreement here, the inabillity to improve the pass rush is an absolute valid criticism. As is the pick of Sanchez (even if the risk made sense at the time) because he's clearly not worked out.

    Rex/Tanny are most certainly not without blame and criticism.

    But I'll say it again, despite what you or I may think, it's what the Owner thinsk that matters. Under Rex, we're four years in and not had a single losing season, and two deep playoff runs, and we're in the media every single day.

    Since Tanny took over in 2006 we've had, wait for it, exactly one losing season. We are:

    2006 10-6 Wild Card
    2007 4-12 (the one loser and a Chadwick Injury year if I recall)
    2008 9-7
    2009 9-7 AFCCG
    2010 11-5 AFCCG
    2011 8-8
    2012 6-7 thus far, probably 8-8 finish again

    With respect, I'll say it again, this is a record that no owner in the NFL is going to fire, no matter how much criticism fans lay down on it. It's a consistent record of competativeness and winning, 3 playoff seasons in 7 years, 4 winning, 2 .500, 1 losing season.

    We can nitpick the decisions, the players, and everything else till we're blue int he face. Woody will not see it how you see it. He'll see us as one of the middle-to-upper teams in the NFL for 7 years, always in the hunt for the postseason every year, always in the media, always selling tickets and being talked about and watched.

    Given that we're stuck with Sanchez one more year, I will bet we are going to have both Rex and Tanny back one more year as well. Which is fine, because the 2012 QB draft class is nothing spectacular anyway.

    We'll get Holmes back. We'll get Revis back. Sanchez (crap tho he is) will have a full year under Suckrano's system. We'll (hopefully) aquire another WR threat and maybe another RB.

    And we'll see what happens. If the team fails, and has a losing season under Tanny/Rex/Sanchez in 2013, all are gone for 2014 and the rebuild everyone wants so bad will happen, **** 2014 season onwards.

    If they win (i.e. do better than 8-8) AND make the playoffs, all will be extended.

    Thats how I see it playing out. Thats how I see Woody playing it out.

    We fans have no input. We can only watch, and vent our views, but Woody is the only voice that counts.

  14. #34
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    619
    Post Thanks / Like
    We beat a horrible team and in the 1st half our offense looked pathetic and outside of one pass late in the 4ht qtr., our 17 million QB, looked like garbage. We suck, we just don't suck as much as 5 or 6 other teams. That's why you felt like crap

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're the best worst team in football. It's that simple. Floating around mediocrity for years: 8-9 wins a season, sometimes a lot less, sometimes one or two more when the schedule allows it, but nothing special. No division titles. No championships. Nothing. A steaming pile of mediocre crap.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    We're the best worst team in football. It's that simple. Floating around mediocrity for years: 8-9 wins a season, sometimes a lot less, sometimes one or two more when the schedule allows it, but nothing special. No division titles. No championships. Nothing. A steaming pile of mediocre crap.
    dont sugar coat it...................

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    We're the best worst team in football. It's that simple. Floating around mediocrity for years: 8-9 wins a season, sometimes a lot less, sometimes one or two more when the schedule allows it, but nothing special. No division titles. No championships. Nothing. A steaming pile of mediocre crap.
    That about sums it all up...

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    you prolly feel that way because if they make the playoffs, they'll get killed AND lose better draft position.

  19. #39
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswinbaby! View Post
    Is it just me?
    Am I just a hopeless SOJF?
    Is it the gloomy weather?
    Am I coming down with the flu or something?

    The Jets just beat the Jags on the road, and still have an outside shot at the playoffs...

    And yet I'm sitting here after the game and I feel...

    "Meh..."

    What's the problem?
    Maybe it's the Butt Fumble or the fact Mark had his 19th Turnover of the season.
    I'm feeling the same way . However, I've had a pretty ****ty week.
    Plus, I have a bunch of knuckle head Giants fans preaching to me that Big Blue is the way to go

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    We're the best worst team in football. It's that simple. Floating around mediocrity for years: 8-9 wins a season, sometimes a lot less, sometimes one or two more when the schedule allows it, but nothing special. No division titles. No championships. Nothing. A steaming pile of mediocre crap.
    Edwards , Mangini , Coslett , Walton , Michaels , Holtz , and even Weeb has had seasons when we won 4 or less games. Kotite won 4 games in both his seasons COMBINED. This team may indeed be mediocre crap , but 10 years from now we will refer to this period as the " glory days "

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us