Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GM next year ?

New GM next year ?

From what I have read some sports people expect the Jets to keep Ryan and demote Tanny while bringing in a new GM. But how many good GM's are going to come in to an organization and not be allowed to make changes to coaching staff ? Most want to bring in their own people or people they have worked with before plus the current atmosphere around the Jets cannot be too enticing for GM candidates. I could also see, as the first order of business, that the Jets might want to redo Sanchez's contract again to make it more incentive based. Right now he is just not worth $8 million and he already has made a boatload of money.

Banned
    I wouldn't be shocked if they promote Scott Cohen, our Assistant GM. He is a legit football guy, coming from a good organization (the Eagles). We could do worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    From what I have read some sports people expect the Jets to keep Ryan and demote Tanny while bringing in a new GM. But how many good GM's are going to come in to an organization and not be allowed to make changes to coaching staff ? Most want to bring in their own people or people they have worked with before plus the current atmosphere around the Jets cannot be too enticing for GM candidates. I could also see, as the first order of business, that the Jets might want to redo Sanchez's contract again to make it more incentive based. Right now he is just not worth $8 million and he already has made a boatload of money.

Explain to me why Sanchez would allow his contract to be redone when he has $8 million dollar guarantee?

Unless the Jets want to increase his pay and spread it over 2 years then he might do it but otherwise he will get his $8 million next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if they promote Scott Cohen, our Assistant GM. He is a legit football guy, coming from a good organization (the Eagles). We could do worse.
    What makes him legit.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    What was wrong with the other threads on this overplayed topic?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    What was wrong with the other threads on this overplayed topic?
    You mean the ones that pretty much said the same things, word for word?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This is what I've been saying.

So basically, the new GM will be saddled with Rex as HC and therefore, saddled with Sanchez as the starting QB.

What an attractive job position.

LOL

If we do get a new gm would there be a chance we have to get rid of rex? I know the gm's liketheir own coaching staff.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This is what I've been saying.

So basically, the new GM will be saddled with Rex as HC and therefore, saddled with Sanchez as the starting QB.

What an attractive job position.

LOL
    Our only hope is that Cohen takes the job and treats it like he is going to be here a while and start building to the future. Leaving Tanny in charge this offseason may destroy any chance we have of compeating in 2014.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    What makes him legit.
    Look up his bio. He has a solid background as a scout, and worked in the pro personnel department with the Eagles.

Veteran
    I wonder how Tanny would take a demotion. He's under contract through 2014. I'm sure Johnson won't want to take such a heavy hit $$ wise. I think everyone wants a talent guy to take the helm it will be interesting to see what happens.

Marty Schottenheimer

Jets Insider VIP
    Look up his bio. He has a solid background as a scout, and worked in the pro personnel department with the Eagles.
    So the guy has been Asst GM since 2008 and is in no way shape or form responsible for the lack of talent we have?

He's only the asst but his name is on this too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    So the guy has been Asst GM since 2008 and is in no way shape or form responsible for the lack of talent we have?

He's only the asst but his name is on this too.
    Have you ever worked for a company that was poorly run? Did that mean everyone who worked under that person was equally incompetent?

I've worked in places where we had exceptionally talented people working in the lower tiers, but the company still did poorly because it had a lousy person making the decisions at the top.

Jets Insider VIP
    Have you ever worked for a company that was poorly run? Did that mean everyone who worked under that person was equally incompetent?

I've worked in places where we had exceptionally talented people working in the lower tiers, but the company still did poorly because it had a lousy person making the decisions at the top.
    Agreed, but I'd rather have a guy who's been in the position and has a track record. Tannenbaum being utterly clueless in terms of player evaluation, it skews the analysis for everyone under him.

I’m just saying it’s a bit hasty to say this guy’s the answer when we have no idea which role he played in some of the decisions we’ve made these past few years. For all we know, Tanny leaned on him for player evaluation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Agreed, but I'd rather have a guy who's been in the position and has a track record. Tannenbaum being utterly clueless in terms of player evaluation, it skews the analysis for everyone under him.

Im just saying its a bit hasty to say this guys the answer when we have no idea which role he played in some of the decisions weve made these past few years. For all we know, Tanny leaned on him for player evaluation.
    I think Tanny leaned heavily on his coaches for player evaluations.

Cohen isn't my top choice, but based on his background he wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I am starting to worry if we win 9 games or make the playoffs that Mike won't get demoted.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I think Tanny leaned heavily on his coaches for player evaluations.

Cohen isn't my top choice, but based on his background he wouldn't be a bad choice either.
    Cohen is the only legit choice from within. My issue is that it seems that the Jets have only been promoting within in the recent past and have a very stale FO. Tanny isn't so much an NFL guy as much as a Jets guy. It's telling that our GM will likely stay on with the team in a new position if/when he is fired. I would like to think that a real, competent GM would leave the team and go somewhere else to find the best possible job. But for the Jets FO, they'd rather be re-assigned than move on. Understandable from a family perspective (what lifelong NY family would want to move to KC?) but if you are truly an ambitious, top tier NFL mind, you'd think you would advance your career in any way you can. Doesn't seem like Bradway and Tanny have that mentality.

Tannenbaum is not going anywhere. Why dismiss a man widely acknowledged as a cap manager not a talent evaluator when the guys evaluating the talent are Bradway, the scouting staff and the coaching staff. I don't claim any knowledge of the inner workings of the Jet FO or the personnel dept however it it appears that Tanny and Woody rely heavily on their staff and I believe that Woody will be sitting with Tanny and evaluating the rest. The only thing that would shock me would be the retention of our so-called offensive coordinator and QB coach.