Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: laron landry

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/bga-ca...special-teams/

This vs the Cards: (and I think he had much the same sort of game vs the Jags)

"The other two corners, Kyle Wilson and Ellis Lankster, continue to hold their own in coverage. Wilson has been targeted 21 times since those two completions early in the Seahawks game and has given up 11 catches for less than four yards per target. He did have a penalty early on in this one and was beaten twice in the second half – once for a first down and once on an incompletion – but his open field tackling was excellent as he made four good tackles, one of which went for no gain and two of which forced the Cardinals to punt. Lankster didn’t put a foot wrong, breaking up one pass and getting into good position on two others. He also had two good open field tackles."

In fairness, you or I could go out there and be successful against the Cardinals

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    In fairness, you or I could go out there and be successful against the Cardinals
    That is not fair and no you could not.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Yes and he has been injury free--a miracle.
    I really think he's been a bright spot for us. We better sign him up for 3 years.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

Hopefully Aaron Berry gets healthy and keeps his nose clean so we can move away from that jackass.
    I like the way he tackles, Archie. He just gets lost in the slot.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    How is he average? He continually gets burned by receivers, gives too much cushion and still can't locate the football.

I suppose you think Sanchez is adequate, too?
    He stopped several plays short of a first down; good tackler at this point and he's a good athlete that can really defend on the outside. He's putting guys on the ground. Why bring him up? Because he behaves like a jerk after plays?

Anyway, Laron Landry is playing lights out. That's what's important!

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    He stopped several plays short of a first down; good tackler at this point and he's a good athlete that can really defend on the outside. He's putting guys on the ground. Why bring him up? Because he behaves like a jerk after plays?

Anyway, Laron Landry is playing lights out. That's what's important!
    Thank you. Pendawg is losing his marbles if he's really gonna criticize one of the only guys we can be glad to call a Jet this year. He's been fantastic and brings a brutal, hard-hitting attitude to the Defense. He may not be great when dropped back in coverage, but when you bring him up in the box he's an utter monster. The guy is basically a fast hard-hitting LB.

All Pro
    Wilson was TOASTED on several occasions against the Cardinals. Michael ****ing Floyd had his way with him.

Wilson may make a good dime back, but he's far from being average or a solid nickel. He's a massive bust as far as first-rounders go.
    Has he even given up a 100 yard receiver this season?? I think you overreact with Wilson the kid has held up. We have seen much worse play from the position before.. Is he elite? nope but he isn't close to being one of the worst out there..

Also I didn't know having 2 catches on 10 targets for 22 yards is considered having your way with somebody .
    Last edited by Scoop24; 12-10-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Our secondary is outstanding and that's without the best db in the game.

Yeremiah Bell too us been quietly excellent,underrated in coverage and very reliable tackler.

Apparently it's illegal to praise Tannenbaum or Ryan but remember how dire our safeties were last year?well for next to nothing we have totally revamped and even if Landry isn't re-upped I think Antonio Allen can play.

The Kyle Wilson hate is lolworthy,very solid corner who is still improving and there are more than a few teams would love a cb as 'bad' as him to be their no1 never mind no3.Wilson tackles as well as any cb not called Revis that I've seen.Seen him prevent a number of first downs by not only stopping his man stone dead on contact but actually knocking them backwards.

He'll even Cromartie has started putting in some hits.

Really hope we can keep Landry but even if not he's provided us with an excellent year for next to nothing when many felt this was a bad move that would only end badly.

Nobody ever thought that Landry was any less than a top 3-5 Safety in the NFL.

That does not change the fact that he has some serious Achilles' issues and if you need to understand what happens when you pay a guy like him what he's worth and the Achilles' pops (who the hell would insure him?) and what happens to your salary cap you don't understand why Landry should not be signed for longer than 3 years with next to no guaranteed money.

That doesn't change the fact that he will get a 5 year deal with a lot of guaranteed money elsewhere.

If this team dumps that much more cash into the secondary, then Tannenbaum has to be fired.

It's arguable that even Revis should be locked up.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    My favorite jet we need to resign that beast!
    ... +1 ...

Ljr

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Our secondary is outstanding and that's without the best db in the game.

Yeremiah Bell too us been quietly excellent,underrated in coverage and very reliable tackler.

Apparently it's illegal to praise Tannenbaum or Ryan but remember how dire our safeties were last year?well for next to nothing we have totally revamped and even if Landry isn't re-upped I think Antonio Allen can play.

The Kyle Wilson hate is lolworthy,very solid corner who is still improving and there are more than a few teams would love a cb as 'bad' as him to be their no1 never mind no3.Wilson tackles as well as any cb not called Revis that I've seen.Seen him prevent a number of first downs by not only stopping his man stone dead on contact but actually knocking them backwards.

He'll even Cromartie has started putting in some hits.

Really hope we can keep Landry but even if not he's provided us with an excellent year for next to nothing when many felt this was a bad move that would only end badly.

Yeah good job by tanny. It only took 4 years to address the safety position. And now its with 2 one year rentals.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

did you ever really watch mccourtey play? he was drafted right before and he's not exactly all world. wilson does have some faults but he's made some progress.

as for landry, he has certainly made some nice plays (clocking edelman was the only jet bright spot against the patsies) and he comes to play each game. the question is what happens if the jets lock him to a large contract? he's had injury problems and he could easily fall into a comfort zone like other highly paid jet players. i guess it all matter s on how much he asks for and what kind of incentives can be built in.

How is he average? He continually gets burned by receivers, gives too much cushion and still can't locate the football.

I suppose you think Sanchez is adequate, too?

in fairness bull**it.

Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahataman View Post
    knock on landry was never talent. it is injuries.

with our cap situation you would hate to sign him to guaranteed money and have murphy's law go into effect.

that being said he is one of my favorite Jets to watch this year and has played well enough to earn the multiyear deal i think he is going to want.

AND this is only his first year in this defense! I always assumed safety had the highest learning curve for a new player. Worth noting.
    Excellent synopsis.

+1

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Nobody ever thought that Landry was any less than a top 3-5 Safety in the NFL.

That does not change the fact that he has some serious Achilles' issues and if you need to understand what happens when you pay a guy like him what he's worth and the Achilles' pops (who the hell would insure him?) and what happens to your salary cap you don't understand why Landry should not be signed for longer than 3 years with next to no guaranteed money.

That doesn't change the fact that he will get a 5 year deal with a lot of guaranteed money elsewhere.

If this team dumps that much more cash into the secondary, then Tannenbaum has to be fired.

It's arguable that even Revis should be locked up.
    A mountain of other decisions by our GM should have already brought the owner to this conclusion.

All League
    Keep the guy in Green.

He, along with Mo Wilk and Cro, have been the lone bright spots on this season.

Yeremiah Bell also. The guy has had a very solid year and it needs to be recognized more than it is around here.

We cannot afford the money that landry will be given, and it is simply bad cap management to pay a player like him. He has been very good and injury free this year, but its not personal, there is a cap and the position is not one of value.

If he is willing to sign a 3 year contract for $3milllion per season, that would be an excellent signing for us, but given his high ceiling of talent, I would suspect he can potentially double that on the open market.

We have to deal with revis, potentially getting $15 million per season along with cro who is making $8million. We cannot afford to have a safety even making $5 million....it is simply bad allocation of cap space to pay that much for your defensive secondary.

If we are able to trade Cro, which again has NOTHING to do with his play, as he has been unbelievably good this year, then maybe we can afford to pay landry, but outside of that possibility, we have no choice but to let him go, and take the compensatory pick.

I would rather pay Landry 6 mil a season than pay Revis 16 million. The only player that should be getting that kind of money should be the Jets starting QB if they had a decent one. This team has too many needs and spending 16 million on a cornerback would cripple the rest of the team. I love Revis but I don't think he's gonna get Hugh money from the Jets on his next contract.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    we need to lock him up hes a gamer week after week he comes to play.
    I 100% agree. What a difference a real safety makes.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I would rather pay Landry 6 mil a season than pay Revis 16 million. The only player that should be getting that kind of money should be the Jets starting QB if they had a decent one. This team has too many needs and spending 16 million on a cornerback would cripple the rest of the team. I love Revis but I don't think he's gonna get Hugh money from the Jets on his next contract.
    Landry will be one of the top payed Safeties in the league next year.

Then he'll blow out his Achilles and his uninsured contract will destroy cap space for years to come.

Landry is awesome. But he's playing on two ticking time bombs that surgery can't even guarantee correction of.