Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Available Wide Receives

Available Wide Receives

It looks like Hill is going to have a significant injury which leaves us with Chaz Schillens, Kerley, gilyard, clyde gates and jordan white.

The above is an awful group of wide receivers to try to compete with going forward, no matter how bad our schedule is.

Before we discuss who is available, watching jordan shipley yesterday just reinforces how bad the FO is at filling holes. We needed a WR with good hands who could return punts. This kid had 50 catches as a rookie and was cut after coming off an injury, but also because the bengals drafted sanu and hit a home run with andrew hawkins as a slot guy. We skipped over shipley to sign gates who doesnt return punts or have any skill as a route runner. An absolutely HUGE miss by Tannenbaum.

Anyway, I have no idea what braylon has left in the tank at this point, and his "Tweet" couldnt have come at a worse time as its tough to be able to set aside your pride after you were publicly called an idiot and then sign that player.

That being said, braylon has shown a LOT of talent in this league and IF he is healthy could step in and really contribute. I know he hasnt done a THING since we let him walk, but at this point, if mardy gilyard is playing significant snaps for our team, we have no shot to compete.

Any other potential WRs out there that could be signed?

How about instead of signing someone who's not on an NFL roster come Week 15 we actually just play our young talent? Kerley, Schilens, Gilliyard and Jordan White. White steps up if Hill is out for the final three games, which I'm sure he will be. Not to mention Clyde Gates will probably be able to return by next week. Just play the youth and see who you want to bring back in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    How about instead of signing someone who's not on an NFL roster come Week 15 we actually just play our young talent? Kerley, Schilens, Gilliyard and Jordan White. White steps up if Hill is out for the final three games, which I'm sure he will be. Not to mention Clyde Gates will probably be able to return by next week. Just play the youth and see who you want to bring back in 2013.
    I wish we were playing mcelroy at QB, Demario at LB, and our young DBs as much as possible.

The problem is, that as INSANE as this statement is, we are actually only 1 game out of the playoffs. Gates has proven to be a very bad route runner and if jordan white was capable of contributing more then 2 slot catches, im sure he would have shown that by now.

My point with braylon is, that rarely in week 15 can you find a player that has a rapport with the QB and is only 2 years removed from a good season. His upside compared to jordan white is significantly higher

really? the worst wr group in the nfl. arent we trying to win out for a wildcard spot? wow

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I wish we were playing mcelroy at QB, Demario at LB, and our young DBs as much as possible.
    Two or three times yesterday on passing downs I saw FBs or TEs run away from Calvin Pace and Bart Scott and wished Demario was on the field...dont understand why he isnt getting more of a chance...

All Pro
    Play the kids. We aren't going to the playoffs and, even if by some miracle we did, we would be humiliated against good teams.

Elevate Royce Pollard from the PS and let's see if he, or White, or Gilyard or Gates, have a future with the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

SBIII thinks they're all future hall of famers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Play the kids. We aren't going to the playoffs and, even if by some miracle we did, we would be humiliated against good teams.

Elevate Royce Pollard from the PS and let's see if he, or White, or Gilyard or Gates, have a future with the team.
    I agree with that, but the coaches, players and FO will not.

Just having the week 16 game vs SD at home be menaingful is a big deal financially to the organization.

Royce Pollard isnt the answer and neither is white, they are just too young to make a difference at this juncture of the season.

All Pro
    Don't worry fellas there gonna sign Jason Hill again he knows the playbook.. Smh

All Pro

The problem is, that as INSANE as this statement is, we are actually only 1 game out of the playoffs. Gates has proven to be a very bad route runner and if jordan white was capable of contributing more then 2 slot catches, im sure he would have shown that by now.

My point with braylon is, that rarely in week 15 can you find a player that has a rapport with the QB and is only 2 years removed from a good season. His upside compared to jordan white is significantly higher
    My problem with BE is it will give Rex another excuse to stay with Sanchez. We will hear all about the rapport they had with each other, even though that rapport didn't mean jack for the past 2 years when we could have brought him back.

It is bad enough that with the ability to run the clock out yesterday on 3rd and 8th with less than 2 minutes left, they chose running a RB up the middle over letting Sanchez throw. And yet, according to Rex, this is the guy that gives us the best chance to win. And yet, 2 TD drives yesterday, not one pass attempted. You can't make this sh!t up and all this stupid crap only seems to happen to this team.

Any available coaches or QB's?

Jets Insider VIP
    Wheres chancey stuckey?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Don't worry fellas there gonna sign Jason Hill again he knows the playbook.. Smh
    just might.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I agree with this.

Kelrey has proved his worth and Schillens has been alright as of late too.

I don't know anything at all about Gilyard - other then I have heard his name once or twice before...but Jordan White is the wild card here in my opinion.

I would like to see White get alot of reps and see if his college production can actually translate to the NFL.....

All that being said I would like to see McElroy start next week, I am just sick and tired of watching Suckhez's ineptness and lack of pocket presence, it doesn't seem like this kid can go one game without throwing a pick or fumbling the ball and giving it away to the other team.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-10-2012 at 09:24 AM.

It looks like Hill is going to have a significant injury which leaves us with Chaz Schillens, Kerley, gilyard, clyde gates and jordan white.

The above is an awful group of wide receivers to try to compete with going forward, no matter how bad our schedule is.

Before we discuss who is available, watching jordan shipley yesterday just reinforces how bad the FO is at filling holes. We needed a WR with good hands who could return punts. This kid had 50 catches as a rookie and was cut after coming off an injury, but also because the bengals drafted sanu and hit a home run with andrew hawkins as a slot guy. We skipped over shipley to sign gates who doesnt return punts or have any skill as a route runner. An absolutely HUGE miss by Tannenbaum.

Anyway, I have no idea what braylon has left in the tank at this point, and his "Tweet" couldnt have come at a worse time as its tough to be able to set aside your pride after you were publicly called an idiot and then sign that player.

That being said, braylon has shown a LOT of talent in this league and IF he is healthy could step in and really contribute. I know he hasnt done a THING since we let him walk, but at this point, if mardy gilyard is playing significant snaps for our team, we have no shot to compete.

Any other potential WRs out there that could be signed?

I actually wanted the Jets to draft Shipley, he's a great possession reciever and great with yards after catch. When he was let go by Cincy I thought it was the perfect time for the Jets to pick him up, but they never did. Opportunity lost.

Of course Cromartie at WR here and there is a possibility too.

Greg Camarrilo is a guy that is on the street that can catch a ball. Gaffney is another guy.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    I actually wanted the Jets to draft Shipley, he's a great possession reciever and great with yards after catch. When he was let go by Cincy I thought it was the perfect time for the Jets to pick him up, but they never did. Opportunity lost.
    Jets r trying to help mark by picking up guy with speed in order to get sum type of separation for mark but so far this theory hasn't worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebe1 View Post
    Jets r trying to help mark by picking up guy with speed in order to get sum type of separation for mark but so far this theory hasn't worked very well.
    We have absolutely zero imagination in our playcalling and play design.

With all the problems we have at WR, and the fact that we need to have 2 TEs in the game, the fact that we arent running misdirections and screens is ridiculous.

With powell as the RB and mcknight as the slot, we could easily start to use play fakes, misdirection, etc to get these guys the balls in space and see if it can open other things up. At this point, with sanchez's limitation and the lack of any downfield threat at all, we need to be getting innovative on offense and simply arent doing it at all.

Hall Of Fame
    We have absolutely zero imagination in our playcalling and play design.

With all the problems we have at WR, and the fact that we need to have 2 TEs in the game, the fact that we arent running misdirections and screens is ridiculous.

With powell as the RB and mcknight as the slot, we could easily start to use play fakes, misdirection, etc to get these guys the balls in space and see if it can open other things up. At this point, with sanchez's limitation and the lack of any downfield threat at all, we need to be getting innovative on offense and simply arent doing it at all.
    I have been calling for the Jets to develop their screen game all season. Powell and McKnight could be very effective in that role. I am just amazed that Sparano has not tried to use this. A good screen game also slows down a pass rush and may give the opportunity to take a few shots down field.