Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Here's the rift between the Jets and their Fans

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    You make fun of the Jets beating the same Arizona team that went to NE and beat them....
    So, a broken clock is right twice a day. Because the Cards with their #1 qb beat the pats by one point and the jets won by one point means something ???

Going through this forum I see a reoccuring trend, and that is the fact that Jets fans have given up on the season and hope for change, whether it's at QB, GM, the Coach or all of em. It seems most fans would rather we lose our remaining games and get a higher draft pick. As fans, whose real life and day-to-day activities remain unchanged by a W or L by the Jets on Sunday, its understandable that we want change by getting that higher draft pick or new GM or QB.

BUT that's the problem, we're only fans. Rex, Tanny, Sanchez, and the rest of Jets organization are effected by the W or L and right now, with a shot to get into the playoffs, most fans are throwing their hands up and saying they're done for this year, but the players and staff are working their tails off to get into the playoffs because they're competitors. That to me says a lot about Rex and the coach staff, that even though theres a long shot of the Jets making it, Rex has his players working and playing hard. These guys aren't rolling over like a lot of teams would do after an underwhelming season where you lost your 2 best players.

So while most fans are washing their hands of this season, Rex is putting in Sanchez because he has the most playoff experience and "gives them the best chance to win". Rex and the Jets aren't giving up on the season, and that speaks volumes to me.
    I've always wanted Rex Ryan to return as HC for the reasons you have stated along with many others.

I just know if they do make the playoffs they won't be able to beat anybody or even make some noise. They're just not good enough. Making the playoffs is not the goal, the goal is winning the SB. That's not happening this season.

So I'm not hoping they lose all of their games, I hope they win and I hope they make the playoffs.

I just want some drastic change during the offseason. This team is becoming pretty much devoid of talent and that must change quickly. I say give Tanny one more season, but one more season with someone else looking over his shoulder.

The team needs a big FA period and a great draft to become competitiors again. They need a new QB most of all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This is interesting. I like your posts in this thread.

Here's some misconceptions here:

Any new GM can't even begin to be analyzed in performance until he gets to bring in his coach. Any good owner knows this.

As such, you fully need to realize that Woody Johnson most likely does not.

How bad is Woody Johnson and what is my proof aside from my own opinion?

It lies with the following timeline:

1999: Jets go up for sale.

Late 1999: Parcells "retired" Due to the purchase being in 1/2000 it is relatively easy to surmise that Parcells had been introduced to the new owner.........Parcells replacement is Bill Belichick

A day later: Belichick resigns

1/18/2000: Woody buys Jets

In any event, I recall much speculation in the stands during the 2000 season that the new owner was a douche and that's why the guys who had revived the Jets had left.

I tend to believe that.

I also tend to believe that until he hires a true football guy and completely backs away from the team much in the same way Bob Kraft has, we are utterly without hope.

Because this all starts at the top. We can blame X, Y, or Z, but it is akin to blaming a WR for a drop on yet another Sanchez pass that he had to dive to catch (despite being behind the line of scrimmage,) the issue is reflected perfectly by Tebow and by Sanchez's continuing as a starter.
    Parcells said he would coach for 3 years and did.. BB resigned to get away from the Tuna who was still GM for another year.. You can believe what you want but its not the truth.. Tuna later went to work for Jerry Jones who is a bigger dirtbag then Woody could ever be..

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    You are aware of how well-respected Rex Ryan is in this league amongst his peers, don't you?
    As a HC or a DC?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    To save their job, Rex needs to win and win with Sanchez at the helm. He is in it for the best interest of himself and his cronies.
    That's illogical.

Rex needs to win, but it does not matter who the QB is.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Parcells said he would coach for 3 years and did.. BB resigned to get away from the Tuna who was still GM for another year.. You can believe what you want but its not the truth.. Tuna later went to work for Jerry Jones who is a bigger dirtbag then Woody could ever be..
    This is true - Bellichick "quit" once he found out Parcells would still have his hands in everything ... not saying it was right or wrong, but that's the reason he left for NE. Weird to think how things might've turned out had he stayed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Based on you seeing McElroy play in 15 snaps? I think I'll take an NFL coaches opinion on a player he's seen in practice over the past year than your opinion as a professional couch potato.
    Even if that HC is biased as WRECKS is? Isn't he the same yoyo that deemed WOODHEAD unworthy of playing for the JEST? and what about that HC's hatred of Kerry Rhodes? And he is the guy giving Ducasses snaps over Slauson when Slauson is clearly the much better player at this point! Yeah, your post makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Even if that HC is biased as WRECKS is? Isn't he the same yoyo that deemed WOODHEAD unworthy of playing for the JEST? and what about that HC's hatred of Kerry Rhodes? And he is the guy giving Ducasses snaps over Slauson when Slauson is clearly the much better player at this point! Yeah, your post makes sense!
    Right, I forgot everyone on here is an expert from watching 3 hours of football on Sunday and playing Madden in their spare time.

My bad, My bad

As a fan, I do not see systematic improvements in the overall team
    Glaring personal mistakes = Hunter, Smith, Vlad, Tebow, etc...
    Undeveloped talent = Wilson, Sanchez, Holmes, Keller, etc...
    Bottom of league in the number of drafted players still on the team = half of last years draft are gone (no depth)
    Add five blowouts and embarrassing losses (butt fumble) with impact to real life fans day-to-day activities and you have a rift

On the positive side, the team does well with seasoned vets and free agents (Landry, Cro) and motivating players when Rex is directly involved

Contributions of Wilkerson and Coples will go a long way to reducing the rift

A first round blow out loss to another playoff team will not help

Practice Squad
    I personally cannot route for my team to win even if it means the number one draft pick. I do not trust this organization to pick the right talent even at number one and waste a whole season to do so! This front office wouldn't know talent if it tackled them! Just look at their track record! We have fell off the talent pool since Rex came in. I blame Tannumbaum for this and I think at the end of the season he should be sent back to the accounting room and get a talent evaluator in who knows football! If you don't want to down grade Mike-T then still go get a football guy and let him make the choices for talent and let Mike-T do the paperwork!
    But any real fan cannot sit here and say lets blow a whole season so we can get a better pick. Even if you pick the right person how do you know it will work out? You willing to bet a whole season on that? I am not you play for the present and use what you got to the best of your ability! Then at the end of the year you look at where to improve based on your season and fix it!
    Pace, Scott, Thomas all need to go after this season regardless what we do. Tebow needs to be traded and we need to then start rebuilding those positions! Since Mark is here to stay we need to get him some talent around him and get competition to try and beat him out. O-line needs some work

Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    This is true - Bellichick "quit" once he found out Parcells would still have his hands in everything ... not saying it was right or wrong, but that's the reason he left for NE. Weird to think how things might've turned out had he stayed.
    This appears to be media spin.

Because Parcells picked up Belichick off a scrap heap after flailing in Cleveland for 4 years.

I think Woody got to the media first.

And the real food for thought is this:

What if this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNzd9Xd0who

Never happened.

Mo Lewis may be the only player in Patriots history who eclipses Brady. Because there's no Brady if there's no Mo.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    This is exactly my point. Most fans don't want us to make the playoffs so we can have a higher pick. The players don't see it that way.

Was Brady QBing for NE that day?
    -Not this one, the draft is a crap shoot. I'd rather limp into the playoffs.
    -Most fans of the <insert losing team here> want their team to tank at the end of better draft position. Jets fans aren't the only ones.

And I don't think just b/c someone wants them to lose now to be better in the long run isn't a fan. They just show their fandom in a different way.

Now, if they show up with the opposing teams jersey on, and get vocal, then we have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Mo Lewis may be the only player in Patriots history who eclipses Brady. Because there's no Brady if there's no Mo.
    I heard the Pats are inducting Mo Lewis into their ring of honor next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I've always wanted Rex Ryan to return as HC for the reasons you have stated along with many others.

I just know if they do make the playoffs they won't be able to beat anybody or even make some noise. They're just not good enough. Making the playoffs is not the goal, the goal is winning the SB. That's not happening this season.

So I'm not hoping they lose all of their games, I hope they win and I hope they make the playoffs.

I just want some drastic change during the offseason. This team is becoming pretty much devoid of talent and that must change quickly. I say give Tanny one more season, but one more season with someone else looking over his shoulder.

The team needs a big FA period and a great draft to become competitiors again. They need a new QB most of all.
    I don't think the Jets need a drastic overhaul. I think what has been mostly overlooked is depth, and I think Tanny is realizing that. Really the only drastic overhaul needed for the Jets is at the QB position.

If we break it down the Jets D isn't missing much besides an OLB which are hard to come by. We have 2 very young DL in Coples and Wilk who are showing great potential for the next decade. If Ellis can stay healthy, watch out. We have 2 all world corners. What team can say they lost the best CB, but still have the best CB in the league. Wilson is solid in the slot. If we resign Landry thats great and we can develop a young safety. Davis will step in at LB, and this is the corps that needs the most retooling, but you can't fill each and every hole on a team.

On offense, our OL is solid, and someone posted an article from PFF how the jets O-line is one of the better ones in football. We have a young wr corps with Kerley and Hill and we still have Tone who can ball. Greene is serviceable, and I hope they resign him and give Powell more touches next year. Kind of what the giants did with Bradshaw and Jacobs a few years back.

When it's broken down, the biggest need for the Jets is QB and we're a pretty talented team all around, especially on defense. Rex is a good coach, and players love him, which is evident by players not rolling over and just quitting. We really dont need a drastic overhaul, a few pieces here and there and a QB (yes its easier said than done).

I don't think the Jets need a drastic overhaul. I think what has been mostly overlooked is depth, and I think Tanny is realizing that. Really the only drastic overhaul needed for the Jets is at the QB position.

If we break it down the Jets D isn't missing much besides an OLB which are hard to come by. We have 2 very young DL in Coples and Wilk who are showing great potential for the next decade. If Ellis can stay healthy, watch out. We have 2 all world corners. What team can say they lost the best CB, but still have the best CB in the league. Wilson is solid in the slot. If we resign Landry thats great and we can develop a young safety. Davis will step in at LB, and this is the corps that needs the most retooling, but you can't fill each and every hole on a team.

On offense, our OL is solid, and someone posted an article from PFF how the jets O-line is one of the better ones in football. We have a young wr corps with Kerley and Hill and we still have Tone who can ball. Greene is serviceable, and I hope they resign him and give Powell more touches next year. Kind of what the giants did with Bradshaw and Jacobs a few years back.

When it's broken down, the biggest need for the Jets is QB and we're a pretty talented team all around, especially on defense. Rex is a good coach, and players love him, which is evident by players not rolling over and just quitting. We really dont need a drastic overhaul, a few pieces here and there and a QB (yes its easier said than done).
    I think your disagreement with others is illusory. You take umbrage with people wanting to fire Rex and Tanny as a desire to start from scratch. I can not speak for others, but I want the Jets to simply change course, not start from scratch.

The course change requires that Tanny be fired. He has them on a course destined for a mediocre or worse football team. They get less talented year by year, draft poorly, and spend their money on the wrong players. The trend is unmistakable and he has shown no sign of growing into the job.

Getting a new GM entails allowing that GM to pick his coach, so Rex would likely be gone too. This change does not cause the Jets to throw away what they have. No, it should cause them to capitalize on what they have, do a better job of plugging the holes, finding a QB, and building the team through the draft.