Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else realize we've got a Top 10 (8th) Defense this year?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If I am dumb for wanting to keep a 4-year Head Coach who has yet to have a losing season, so be it.

There is only one head I want on a pike this comign offseason, and I know I'm not getting it, so

Rabble-rabble on, Sanchez is innocent, it's all that Fat Rex fellow over there!
    1. Name 10 things Rex Ryan does well as a head coach.

2. Name 3 areas of improvement Rex Ryan has demonstrated as a head coach since he was a rookie.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1. Name 10 things Rex Ryan does well as a head coach.

2. Name 3 areas of improvement Rex Ryan has demonstrated as a head coach since he was a rookie.

SAR I
    I'll be happy to do so......as soon as you post 10 things Mark Sanchez does well as a QB, and 3 areas of improvement Sanchez has demonstrated at QB since he was a rookie.

1. Rex keeps his teams playing and playing hard. No Rex team has tossed it in despite massive dissapointment the last two seasons. They've sucked at times, but tehy've always played hard even late in down years.
    2. Rex coaches a good Defense, period. Taken a step back this year, no question, but we're still a Top 10 Defense, fan doubts and selective stats nonwithstanding.
    3. Rex manages the clock just fine. Of course, I'm baised, Herm and mangini were both horrific cloack managers, so it doesn;t take much to impress.
    4. He fired Shotty.
    5. He stays with his ideals, like it or not. Defense and the ground game. I like and support that.
    6. He puleld Sanchez. I never thought he would tbqh.
    7. He has been picking and developing Defensive talent rather well in his time here, with Tanny.
    8. He makes himself the laughing stock with his big mouth, and I'm convinced he does so to take the spotlight off his players and onto himself
    9. He challenges well, and appropriately, in general.
    10. He has yet to lead a losing season in four years in the NFL. Thats not nearly as easy as it sounds.
    11. I think he's quite good at using the talent he has and getting the most out of most of them.
    12. I think most of whats good about our Defenseive Schemes is Rex's input and philosophy, predominantly.
    13. He's willing to cut even his most beloved "Rex's Guy", i.e. Terminator, when they fail.
    14. He's passionate and gives a **** over every play and every loss.

As for improvement:

There hasn't been as much as I'd like. He hasn't grown much as a Coach, still does alot of the things he used to, and still clings to "Rex's Guys" too long, Sanchez included. His football ideals of Defense and running is clearly ourdated and unpopular, so I can see where some would be critical of not being another Beffalo or Miami and trying to emulate the Pats, Colts and Denver. Rex is stubborn to a fault at times, and if anything has too much faith in his team and his talent to rise to the occasion. He talks too much IMO, still, despite it blwoing up on him a few times. He's not as involved in the O, or seems to care about the O, as much as I'd want him too. He doesn;t hold his O-Co's and QB to enough of a standard or else.

His worst fault, he's stuck with a clearly ineffective Mark Sanchez, and he either supporter or allowed Tim Tobow on the team.

Will I cry if Rex is fired? No.

But firing Rex before we fire Sanchez is just lol. Rex, with a decent QB, is a perenial playoff contender. Rex with Sanchez is 2010 and 2011 over and over again.

May as well wait, play out Sanchez's string in 2013, and if they fail, dump the whole lot for 2014 and start the rebuilding effort then, fresh, GM, Coach and QB.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-10-2012 at 03:16 PM.

If I am dumb for wanting to keep a 4-year Head Coach who has yet to have a losing season and puts up consistent top 10 Defenses and runnign games, so be it.

There is only one head I want on a pike this coming offseason, and I know I'm not getting it, so

Rabble-rabble on, Sanchez is innocent, it's all that Fat Rex fellow over there!
    To be fair, Rex's schtick has gotten tired and very old. His constantly opened mouth has really gotten a spotlight put on us in his tenure here. Not to mention, his evaluation of talent seems to be pretty bad. Can't blame someone for wanting him gone, honestly.

I'll be happy to do so......as soon as you post 10 things Mark Sanchez does well as a QB, and 3 areas of improvement Sanchez has demonstrated at QB since he was a rookie.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Time out. I'm not saying Mark Sanchez is a good quarterback nor am I saying he's deserving to stick around for another 3 years. I wanted McElroy to start yesterday.

I'm merely saying that he's been ruined by lack of support and we would be smart to give him an upgraded offense and see if he's got the goods. He's 26 years old and has no control over what receivers and linemen he's provided.

Rex Ryan hasn't been ruined by anyone but himself. He's got complete control over the entire team down to the towel boy and we aren't any good. He's 50 years old and has full control over what players are on what side of the ball.

The two are not connected. Mark deserves another look-see because he's still very young and has played well when given decent targets. Rex doesn't deserve another look because he's the cook in this kitchen and the food stinks.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    To be fair, Rex's schtick has gotten tired and very old. His constantly opened mouth has really gotten a spotlight put on us in his tenure here. Not to mention, his evaluation of talent seems to be pretty bad. Can't blame someone for wanting him gone, honestly.

I've got the perfect place for him to go, already looks good in the losers uniform.

SAR I

He never will do that, because every argument sar has made on this site if completely wrong.

3 weeks ago an entire thread consisted of him arguing that our defense let us down, the line stunk, we had no running game and no skill position talent.

Since then....

The Oline has been ranked in the top 10 in the league.

The defense has ranked in the top 10 in the league

Powell/greene have started to run the ball very well

And yet here we stand, sar not stepping up to the plate to defend how wrong he is.

Lets fire rex, and give sanchez the 2013 season to fumble away yet another year.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He never will do that, because every argument sar has made on this site if completely wrong.

3 weeks ago an entire thread consisted of him arguing that our defense let us down, the line stunk, we had no running game and no skill position talent.

Since then....

The Oline has been ranked in the top 10 in the league.

The defense has ranked in the top 10 in the league

Powell/greene have started to run the ball very well

And yet here we stand, sar not stepping up to the plate to defend how wrong he is.

Lets fire rex, and give sanchez the 2013 season to fumble away yet another year.
    "Since then" the Jets have played two of the worst teams in the NFL.

LOL. You guys are hysterical.

Let's pray that Woody Johnson isn't this pathetic or gullible. Let's hope he remembers that we're 1-11 against teams that end the season with a winning record since 2010 and that it takes more than eked out "wins" against the likes of the Cardinals and Jaguars to make a difference in the NFL.

You literally threw stats at me that I'd expect Rex Ryan to whip out at one of his bogus press conferences. Good lord. "They all said we were bad at Thanksgiving, well, look at us now!" LOLZA.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-10-2012 at 03:15 PM.

All League
    just imagine if we had an offense that could move the ball and didnt turn it over 3 times a game, it would be easily a top 5 D

Let's pray that Woody Johnson isn't this pathetic or gullible. Let's hope he remembers that we're 1-11 against teams that end the season with a winning record since 2010 and that it takes more than eked out "wins" against the likes of the Cardinals and Jaguars to make a difference in the NFL.

You literally threw stats at me that I'd expect Rex Ryan to whip out at one of his bogus press conferences. Good lord. "They all said we were bad at Thanksgiving, well, look at us now!" LOLZA.

SAR I
    Actually i didnt reference either jacksonville (another sanchez fumble) or arizona (3 more picks).

Both the offensive line ranking and the defensive ranking are cumulative analysis of the whole season, so they incorporate the games agaisnt the good teams as well as the last 2.

Great calll though

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    As mentioned above, not top-10 in points, and our stats have been padded from the past two weeks against AZ and Jax.
    Other teams play bad teams aswell. It all evens out over the course of the year.

I have to agree though that this D left something desired this year. I would rank them somewhere between 5-10 this year which is ok but not good enough for the way we want to win and for Rex Ryan.

SAR I
    It's sad, but he is our last hope. Remember when he had that meeting with Tanny and Rex seeking an explanation and solution for the team's problems? If Tanny sounded like he did on Fatso's show and Rex answered questions with the same circular logic on display at every press conference, I''ve got to believe Woody arrived at the conclusion that they are both clueless and will be replaced at the end of the season. Heck, if he has any doubts he need only tune in to the post game show on SNY to confirm his belief. IF Woody thinks they both deserve another year, I fear we will be damned to re-living the Hess years.

Time out. I'm not saying Mark Sanchez is a good quarterback nor am I saying he's deserving to stick around for another 3 years. I wanted McElroy to start yesterday.

I'm merely saying that he's been ruined by lack of support and we would be smart to give him an upgraded offense and see if he's got the goods. He's 26 years old and has no control over what receivers and linemen he's provided.

Rex Ryan hasn't been ruined by anyone but himself. He's got complete control over the entire team down to the towel boy and we aren't any good. He's 50 years old and has full control over what players are on what side of the ball.

The two are not connected. Mark deserves another look-see because he's still very young and has played well when given decent targets. Rex doesn't deserve another look because he's the cook in this kitchen and the food stinks.

SAR I
    Please see the requested list in my post above.

TLDR, agree to disagree. Rex has been ruined by Sanchez and an utterly unrpoductive O for for four years, by Shotty/Sparano, and his own lack of experience and forcefulness on O, and his stubborn support for his guy Mark, who he clearly likes and supports, even when not warranted.

It is my ongoing belief that Rex as is, with a moderate QB of moderate skill and abillity and production, along with a decent O-Co, will/can provide a Top 5 Defense every year, and consistent 9+ win seasons of regular post-season competativeness. I see very little difference (apart from personality and verbiosity) between Rex and the coach de jour, Bill Cowher.

I beleive Rex, if we finish better than 7-9 deserves one more year, same as Sanchez, and if they all fail, they all go. At that point, sticking with Sanchez with his wn job is on the line says all that needs said.

It is my firm position that the Jets have no chance under any coach until Sanchez either greatly improves, which I don;t see coming, or is replaced with better.

I'll enjoy reading your sanchez List, should it ever appear my friend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    just imagine if we had an offense that could move the ball and didnt turn it over 3 times a game, it would be easily a top 5 D
    The Jets defense is old, slow and soft.

Can't get a crucial 3-and-out or a turnover if their lives depended on it.

All Pro

1. Rex keeps his teams playing and playing hard. No Rex team has tossed it in despite massive dissapointment the last two seasons. They've sucked at times, but tehy've always played hard even late in down years.
    2. Rex coaches a good Defense, period. Taken a step back this year, no question, but we're still a Top 10 Defense, fan doubts and selective stats nonwithstanding.
    3. Rex manages the clock just fine. Of course, I'm baised, Herm and mangini were both horrific cloack managers, so it doesn;t take much to impress.
    4. He fired Shotty.
    5. He stays with his ideals, like it or not. Defense and the ground game. I like and support that.
    6. He puleld Sanchez. I never thought he would tbqh.
    7. He has been picking and developing Defensive talent rather well in his time here, with Tanny.
    8. He makes himself the laughing stock with his big mouth, and I'm convinced he does so to take the spotlight off his players and onto himself
    9. He challenges well, and appropriately, in general.
    10. He has yet to lead a losing season in four years in the NFL. Thats not nearly as easy as it sounds.
    11. I think he's quite good at using the talent he has and getting the most out of most of them.
    12. I think most of whats good about our Defenseive Schemes is Rex's input and philosophy, predominantly.
    13. He's willing to cut even his most beloved "Rex's Guy", i.e. Terminator, when they fail.
    14. He's passionate and gives a **** over every play and every loss.

As for improvement:

There hasn't been as much as I'd like. He hasn't grown much as a Coach, still does alot of the things he used to, and still clings to "Rex's Guys" too long, Sanchez included. His football ideals of Defense and running is clearly ourdated and unpopular, so I can see where some would be critical of not being another Beffalo or Miami and trying to emulate the Pats, Colts and Denver. Rex is stubborn to a fault at times, and if anything has too much faith in his team and his talent to rise to the occasion. He talks too much IMO, still, despite it blwoing up on him a few times. He's not as involved in the O, or seems to care about the O, as much as I'd want him too. He doesn;t hold his O-Co's and QB to enough of a standard or else.

His worst fault, he's stuck with a clearly ineffective Mark Sanchez, and he either supporter or allowed Tim Tobow on the team.

Will I cry if Rex is fired? No.

But firing Rex before we fire Sanchez is just lol. Rex, with a decent QB, is a perenial playoff contender. Rex with Sanchez is 2010 and 2011 over and over again.

May as well wait, play out Sanchez's string in 2013, and if they fail, dump the whole lot for 2014 and start the rebuilding effort then, fresh, GM, Coach and QB.
    Way to go, great words there. If we just get solid to above average QB we will always be fine under Rex with his run game and defense. I think if Sanchez wouldn't have been a bottom 5 QB this year but let's say a middle of the pack QB then we would propably be off much better and looking at the playoffs this year once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Way to go, great words there. If we just get solid to above average QB we will always be fine under Rex with his run game and defense. I think if Sanchez wouldn't have been a bottom 5 QB this year but let's say a middle of the pack QB then we would propably be off much better and looking at the playoffs this year once again.
    the big irony is that rex almost has the type of team he wants, he just has the wrong qb playing. his D is playing better even w/o revis, and it will get better next year when they get faster players. the offense can run the ball, pretty well, actually, and powell is a nice complement to greene. they'll hopefully upgrade the wrs too. but sanchez turns the ball over too much for rex's approach. i don't like the ground and pound game, but strictly from rex's point of view, mcelroy would be a better fit. mcelroy has always been a game manager who protects the ball. he embraces the concept and structured his game around it.

Jets D would be top 5 if it wasn't for Sanchez fumbling in Jet territory every other play.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the big irony is that rex almost has the type of team he wants, he just has the wrong qb playing. his D is playing better even w/o revis, and it will get better next year when they get faster players. the offense can run the ball, pretty well, actually, and powell is a nice complement to greene. they'll hopefully upgrade the wrs too. but sanchez turns the ball over too much for rex's approach. i don't like the ground and pound game, but strictly from rex's point of view, mcelroy would be a better fit. mcelroy has always been a game manager who protects the ball. he embraces the concept and structured his game around it.
    +1

At this point, what I want to see:

1. Bench/dump Sanchez. Either promote McElroy if he is what all you starry-eyes fans think he is, or aquire some other moderate, 15th ranked talent, guy who is big on not turning it over.
    2. Improve the LB Speed
    3. Get Revis back and pray he stays healthy.
    4. Aquire a RB, best we can get. Keep Powell the #2, I think the kids got upside coming, more than Greene at this point. Get McKnight involved if he's every healthy, cut him if not.
    5. Make Hill go to pass handling camp all winter, spring and summer. Holmes (stuck with him), Hill (with hands), Kerley and one more guy is fine for this system.
    6. Resign Keller if we can, moderate length/money.

Call me stupid (many are these days), but I fully agree with the "team Rex wants" idea. Why blwo it up now, since we certainly lack the QB to emulate what everyone wants, the Colts, Broncos, Patriots big-armed passing-first offenses and point machines. Till we get that QB....the best option is running, cloack eating, and great defense. I trust Rex to build those things.

I don't trust Mark Sanchez to ever become Payton Manning, Eli Manning or even Dakota Fanning.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The Jets defense is old, slow and soft.

Can't get a crucial 3-and-out or a turnover if their lives depended on it.
    Take it from someone who is in fact old, slow and soft, people. Expert above.

Couldn't post an original thought if his life depended on it.

+1

At this point, what I want to see:

1. Bench/dump Sanchez. Either promote McElroy if he is what all you starry-eyes fans think he is, or aquire some other moderate, 15th ranked talent, guy who is big on not turning it over.
    2. Improve the LB Speed
    3. Get Revis back and pray he stays healthy.
    4. Aquire a RB, best we can get. Keep Powell the #2, I think the kids got upside coming, more than Greene at this point. Get McKnight involved if he's every healthy, cut him if not.
    5. Make Hill go to pass handling camp all winter, spring and summer. Holmes (stuck with him), Hill (with hands), Kerley and one more guy is fine for this system.
    6. Resign Keller if we can, moderate length/money.

Call me stupid (many are these days), but I fully agree with the "team Rex wants" idea. Why blwo it up now, since we certainly lack the QB to emulate what everyone wants, the Colts, Broncos, Patriots big-armed passing-first offenses and point machines. Till we get that QB....the best option is running, cloack eating, and great defense. I trust Rex to build those things.

I don't trust Mark Sanchez to ever become Payton Manning, Eli Manning or even Dakota Fanning.
    if you don't have a good qb or better, don't have your crappy qb in there to lose the game. better to have a game manager in there, not turn the ball over too much, and play a tighter game. sanchez doesn't make enough big plays, especially with the lack of talent around him, to compensate for all the mistakes. farve threw plenty of picks but scored more tds. sanchez doesn't compensate, and yes, it's not all his fault, but it's enough of his fault. the smarter thing for this team, right now, is to go with the careful game manager until someone better comes along.