Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84

Thread: Did anyone else realize we've got a Top 10 (8th) Defense this year?

  1. #61
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares.

    This team still blows.

  2. #62
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    356
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO this defense doesn't pass the eye test. They cant get off the field consistently on third down, vulnerable to big gainer plays (15+yards), or big penalties(PI). That said, why shouldn't they be rank at the top 10 if all the recent impact free agents and draft picks are on the defense (Rex you are in the wrong decade)!!
    From the top of my head..
    Landry
    Bell
    Davis
    Coples
    Wilkerson

    Offense,
    Schillens (if not for the Jets he would be out of football, Raiders don't want him nuff said)
    J Smith (avg OL, but HUGE upgrade)
    Hill (has played better recently but a little to late and should not be starting)
    Gates (Miami has the best WR's in the NFL so he was expendable)

    Before the season started I was hoping for a upgrade to RB position and the TE position. Keller is decent, Cumberland is a slug and surprises me that he gets open on occasion ( defense might be rolling coverage to someone else and away from him).
    I hope Rex learns his lesson and goes wild on the offensive upgrades next year.

  3. #63
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Team is 19th in points allowed though..
    Sorry, but this is possibly the most misleading stat for any defense. How many points is the offense responsible for? Special teams? I bet if you take off the pick 6's, fumble return touchdowns, and special team return points the Jets D is actually pretty close to the top in this category. At least top 8.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Sorry, but this is possibly the most misleading stat for any defense. How many points is the offense responsible for? Special teams? I bet if you take off the pick 6's, fumble return touchdowns, and special team return points the Jets D is actually pretty close to the top in this category. At least top 8.
    And I repeat thats why I said Team and not D..

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Sorry, but this is possibly the most misleading stat for any defense. How many points is the offense responsible for? Special teams? I bet if you take off the pick 6's, fumble return touchdowns, and special team return points the Jets D is actually pretty close to the top in this category. At least top 8.
    Our offense and special team mistakes have directly led to 37 points for other teams, in 13 games that makes almost a FG per game. That doesn't even take into account the turnovers that we had in our half of the field that then gave the opposing offense a short field. And we are one of the most turnover prone teams in the league I think.

    Now with that said, a true dominant defense doesn't care about either, they get stops even without the offense playing well. I think we are a very good defense but not dominant or menacing at all. We got a bunch of pieces in place though and the weaknesses are easily to notice (speed at LB, edge rusher). If those are addressed in the offseason, we will get back to being top 5 again. Not to mention we played without our best player almost the entire season.

  6. #66
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Our offense and special team mistakes have directly led to 37 points for other teams, in 13 games that makes almost a FG per game. That doesn't even take into account the turnovers that we had in our half of the field that then gave the opposing offense a short field. And we are one of the most turnover prone teams in the league I think.

    Now with that said, a true dominant defense doesn't care about either, they get stops even without the offense playing well. I think we are a very good defense but not dominant or menacing at all. We got a bunch of pieces in place though and the weaknesses are easily to notice (speed at LB, edge rusher). If those are addressed in the offseason, we will get back to being top 5 again. Not to mention we played without our best player almost the entire season.
    Not saying our D is dominant, or even great. I'm just saying they've played well enough to win if our offense was better and didn't have a complete jackoff running it. I was honestly surprised they were ranked that high, actually.

  7. #67
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Sorry, but this is possibly the most misleading stat for any defense. How many points is the offense responsible for? Special teams? I bet if you take off the pick 6's, fumble return touchdowns, and special team return points the Jets D is actually pretty close to the top in this category. At least top 8.
    According to http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/2012/opp.htm the Jets D has let up 30 TD's. 17 other D's have let up less than 30 TD's. The Jets D is 10th in FG's allowed with 20.

    I would not categorize the Jets D as top 10.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    According to http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/2012/opp.htm the Jets D has let up 30 TD's. 17 other D's have let up less than 30 TD's. The Jets D is 10th in FG's allowed with 20.

    I would not categorize the Jets D as top 10.
    Too bad they are.

  9. #69
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    According to http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/2012/opp.htm the Jets D has let up 30 TD's. 17 other D's have let up less than 30 TD's. The Jets D is 10th in FG's allowed with 20.

    I would not categorize the Jets D as top 10.
    Again, those stats dont tell the whole story. You could argue that the Jets D had a much tougher job due to their offense being so inept. Those numbers dont take into account average field position for the opponent, time of possession, turnovers by the offense, times when those TDs were given up (like there is a difference between a TD given up in a close game or the first quarter and a TD in garbage time or when the game is out of hand)... It is very very hard to judge a defense strictly by the numbers. Yards allowed per game (where the Jets are 8th in the league) doesn't tell the whole story either as numerous circumstances can impact that stat aswell (field position, score, time etc.)...

    Anyways, watching a lot of other teams I think you can make a case for the Jets being a top ten defense. Again, very good but not elite or dominant and most importantly, not as good as needed or envisioned before the year.

  10. #70
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Team is 19th in points allowed though..
    This......the only defensive stat that really matters.

  11. #71
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    It honestly isn't a bad idea.
    Nope it honestly isn't its a horrifying idea.

  12. #72
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Again, those stats dont tell the whole story. You could argue that the Jets D had a much tougher job due to their offense being so inept. Those numbers dont take into account average field position for the opponent, time of possession, turnovers by the offense, times when those TDs were given up (like there is a difference between a TD given up in a close game or the first quarter and a TD in garbage time or when the game is out of hand)... It is very very hard to judge a defense strictly by the numbers. Yards allowed per game (where the Jets are 8th in the league) doesn't tell the whole story either as numerous circumstances can impact that stat aswell (field position, score, time etc.)...

    Anyways, watching a lot of other teams I think you can make a case for the Jets being a top ten defense. Again, very good but not elite or dominant and most importantly, not as good as needed or envisioned before the year.

    I'm pretty confident that if you polled NFL coaches and players as to the best D's, the Jets would not be in the top 10 of anyone's list (except maybe Rex's).

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I was just looking at some team stats and rankings on ESPN and we're ranked 8th. 3rd in Passing D, 28th in Rushing D, and 8th in Total D.

    Da fuq? Seems so odd for some reason.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense

    Conversely, we're ranked 30th in Total Offense, 30th in Passing Offense, and 11th in Rushing Offense. We're only ahead of Arizona and Jacksonville in Total Offense.

    Damn, it's a good thing we have Murk Sanchurz to save us from our 8th ranked D and 11th ranked running game.
    Playing horrid offenses will always pad your statistics. Although the defense is getting better, I just think they are lacking in spots. Their linebackers are horrible and they cannot generate a consistent pass rush. They are also young and tend to be inconsistent against good offenses.

    I can see Wilkerson and Coples creating a pretty good pass rush in the future, but they still need a linebacker that can sack the QB also.

  14. #74
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,299
    Post Thanks / Like
    What was the Jets ranking before Ariz and Jax.

    And I know every team plays these bad teams, but good teams, blow these type of teams out, and they are coasting by the 4th quarter, and giving up yards for time, when they are up 3+ scores. Lots of garbage yards. Jets are in these tooth and nail fights with these teams, so they never get to that coast mode. Its good for yardage stats.

  15. #75
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine if we had a QB who didn't turn the ball over 19 times through 13 games.

    The possibilities are endless !

  16. #76
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post
    What was the Jets ranking before Ariz and Jax.

    And I know every team plays these bad teams, but good teams, blow these type of teams out, and they are coasting by the 4th quarter, and giving up yards for time, when they are up 3+ scores. Lots of garbage yards. Jets are in these tooth and nail fights with these teams, so they never get to that coast mode. Its good for yardage stats.
    Arizona beat New England, and I don't think the Texans were coasting passed the Jags a few weeks ago..

    The defense, although albeit against bad offensive teams, did what they were supposed to do.
    It's not just padding. Look at our defense vs the Colts or the Pats (1st game) for instance.

    It's crazy how critical Jets Fans are on the team for winning. If anyone has something to complain about, it's the inefficient QB play or lackluster special teams. NOT the defense or running game.

  17. #77
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Team is 19th in points allowed though..
    How many defensive scores, special teams scores, scores set up by offensive turnovers, score given up in the 4th quarter after being on the field too much due to Suckchez 3 and outs.

    Point allowed really means nothing when judging a defense, since it doesn't really tell how many points the defense actually allowed.

  18. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Too bad they are.
    No. They aren't.

  19. #79
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,990
    Post Thanks / Like
    8th in FO's defensive efficiency rankings as of last week, so they'll almost certainly go up after this week. They also have the 2nd hardest past schedule in the league by DVOA. They're playing really well.

    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

  20. #80
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    We lead the league in butt fumbles though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us