Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did anyone else realize we've got a Top 10 (8th) Defense this year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else realize we've got a Top 10 (8th) Defense this year?

I was just looking at some team stats and rankings on ESPN and we're ranked 8th. 3rd in Passing D, 28th in Rushing D, and 8th in Total D.

Da fuq? Seems so odd for some reason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/te...sition/defense

Conversely, we're ranked 30th in Total Offense, 30th in Passing Offense, and 11th in Rushing Offense. We're only ahead of Arizona and Jacksonville in Total Offense.

Damn, it's a good thing we have Murk Sanchurz to save us from our 8th ranked D and 11th ranked running game.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade Revis.

(someone was going to say it)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Trade Revis.

(someone was going to say it)
    It honestly isn't a bad idea.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I was just looking at some team stats and rankings on ESPN and we're ranked 8th. 3rd in Passing D, 28th in Rushing D, and 8th in Total D.

Da fuq? Seems so odd for some reason.

Conversely, we're ranked 30th in Total Offense, 30th in Passing Offense, and 11th in Rushing Offense. We're only ahead of Arizona and Jacksonville in Total Offense.

Damn, it's a good thing we have Murk Sanchurz to save us from our 8th ranked D and 11th ranked running game.
    Team is 19th in points allowed though..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not shocked about the passing numbers. Despite still having little pass rush, (and no Revis) we don't seem to really get picked apart too badly. A pass rusher would help with the 3rd down issues we have against good teams.

Lots of room for improvement against the run. Speaks mostly to how bad our linebackers are with Harris' recent regression.

All in all, pretty good, especially considering they're ALWAYS on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Offense is 24th in Firstdowns, Mark is 34th in QBR. While only throwing for 12 TDs, Mark has thrown 13 INTs and has lost 6 of 11 fumbles. That's 19 turnovers with 3 games left to play. His bad play combined with his turnovers cause our D to be on the field more and tire out. I'm not surprised they're 19th in points allowed with a QB that can't keep them on the sideline.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-10-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    It honestly isn't a bad idea.
    In a heartbeat. For the cap hell that we have approaching, has anyone really noticed him missing?

I'd rather two 1st's than 15 mil a year locked up in one guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    In a heartbeat. For the cap hell that we have approaching, has anyone really noticed him missing?

I'd rather two 1st's than 15 mil a year locked up in one guy.
    Not really. Cro is a pro-bowling CB now. It'd be nice to have Revis, but he's not needed.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point however I'm wondering how many of those points were pick sixes and special teams scores. Defense has been pretty good, secondary is solid even without Revis, young lineman seem to be improving. Need speed at LB and a pass rusher.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think points allowed isn't always 100% the best stat - if you look at teams with great defence and poor offence (like us). The defence is often left in bad positions by the offence, It seems our D has many times come on after a turnover to really bad field position, which can skew this stat a bit. It also doesn't consider, 3 and outs - if the offence is going 3 and out all afternoon our D is on the field all afternoon, which means no matter how good they are they can ware down and give up some points. I think this skews it a bit too... especially in our case.

Like last year in Denver our D took a lot of flack for giving up the game winning drive to tebow - but watching that game our offence was terrible - the D was on the field all night, couple that with the short week and the altitude, they were really worn down, if our offence had not had so many 3 and outs I really think we would have stopped tebow and won that game.

We have a very good defence, it just gets no help from or offence which is among if not the worst in the league.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can't stop the run so no one has to even bother passing the ball. Some of the blowouts early mean teams didn't exactly have to go all out passing the ball. Im sure some of these stats were definitely helped by the last 2 weeks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only D stats that really matter are points and turnovers.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand Cro has been playing at an All-Pro level this season but I don't agree with Trading Revis. I rather have a once in a lifetime talent and trade Cro. For all the BS us Jets fans deal with it's nice to have a Superstar player on our team

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The only D stats that really matter are points and turnovers.
    Yeah, but the defense gets charged with points they we're never even on the field to defend. The Jets have to rank near the top in turnovers for scores.

Lifes tough when you've got a Buttfumble.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eZiO10 View Post
    I understand Cro has been playing at an All-Pro level this season but I don't agree with Trading Revis. I rather have a once in a lifetime talent and trade Cro. For all the BS us Jets fans deal with it's nice to have a Superstar player on our team
    Get over the superstar mentality. Doesn't mean dick if the player is a CB.

I'll take Cro at a smaller paycheck than to be handcuffed to Revis and the gigantic paycheck he's going to want.

You don't win dick when you can't build up a team because a good portion of your cap space is invested in a god damn cornerback.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-10-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Yeah, but the defense gets charged with points they we're never even on the field to defend. The Jets have to rank near the top in turnovers for scores.

Lifes tough when you've got a Buttfumble.
    That's why I said team and not just D..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh good lord a top 10 defense. Top 10 sucky defense that:

never gets pressure on the opposing QB even when they blitz
    loses 34-0, 30-9, 49-19 at home
    has a 3 point lead in NE with 1 minute to go and can't get off of the field ultimately losing that game..

give me a break already with the BS

This team is 6-7 and flat out mediocre. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Oh good lord a top 10 defense. Top 10 sucky defense that:

never gets pressure on the opposing QB even when they blitz
    loses 34-0, 30-9, 49-19 at home
    has a 3 point lead in NE with 1 minute to go and can't get off of the field ultimately losing that game..

give me a break already with the BS

This team is 6-7 and flat out mediocre. Period.
    lol @ trying to use the thanksgiving game as a negative for the D. ST, Intchez and the offense were why we lost that ****.

Maybe if our Failchez and the offense was worth a dick then our D wouldn't constantly be on the field and tired. When they're constantly on the field, the Offense is going to score.
    Last edited by McGinley; 12-10-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned above, not top-10 in points, and our stats have been padded from the past two weeks against AZ and Jax.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another year of having a good defense and another year of having a bottom 5 QB. Shockingly enough, it's another year with the same QB too.