Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 year old Car Jacker

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Any child that doesn't have the common sense to respect authority (or life) in acting in such a wanton way with a firearm. I admitted that it was a cynical view. If you feel otherwise, please feel free to share.
    My view is that an 11 year old mind is a work in progress. There's plenty on time for him to mature, evolve as a person, and look back on this in horror in his 20s-30s. I don't think there's any reason to believe there are inherent issues with his mind. Respect for authority isn't innate, it's taught. He has some respect for life.. there was nothing stopping him from shooting the woman he attempted to carjack. Also, he had a reasonable (stupid, and morally deficient but reasonable) motive. He didn't torture a cat to watch it die, or set a a building on fire to watch it burn, he tried to rob someone because he wanted their stuff.

Is he more likely to commit crime in the future than your average 11 year old kid? Absolutely. Is he some sort of abomination beyond all help? no.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    My view is that an 11 year old mind is a work in progress. There's plenty on time for him to mature, evolve as a person, and look back on this in horror in his 20s-30s. I don't think there's any reason to believe there are inherent issues with his mind. Respect for authority isn't innate, it's taught. He has some respect for life.. there was nothing stopping him from shooting the woman he attempted to carjack. Also, he had a reasonable (stupid, and morally deficient but reasonable) motive. He didn't torture a cat to watch it die, or set a a building on fire to watch it burn, he tried to rob someone because he wanted their stuff.

Is he more likely to commit crime in the future than your average 11 year old kid? Absolutely. Is he some sort of abomination beyond all help? no.
    We could tilt at windmills all day on that part alone. There are quite a bit of philosophies that would say that respect for life is not necessarily innate. Others would say it is a priori. I happen to be of the mindset that there are people (children included) that are, through either lack of nurture or nature, are beyond reclamation. That isn't to say that applies in this instance, but I am inclined to believe that it may be.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 12-13-2012 at 06:24 PM.

We could tilt at windmills all day on that part alone. There are quite a bit of philosophies that would say that respect for life is not necessarily innate. Others would say it is a priori. I happen to be of the mindset that there are people (children included) that are, through either lack of nurture or nature, are beyond reclamation. That isn't to say that applies in this instance, but I am inclined to believe that it may be.
    I believe we agree here. I think there are people, children included, who do not have any aversion whatsoever to killing other people. I do believe some sort of aversion to taking human life is innate to normal human beings. My point was the fact that he didn't actually shoot anyone indicates he is not devoid of all respect for life. I believe if he were a sociopath he would've shot the woman whose car he tried to take.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I believe we agree here. I think there are people, children included, who do not have any aversion whatsoever to killing other people. I do believe some sort of aversion to taking human life is innate to normal human beings. My point was the fact that he didn't actually shoot anyone indicates he is not devoid of all respect for life. I believe if he were a sociopath he would've shot the woman whose car he tried to take.
    Or perhaps his value for his own life made him make the decision that he did?

Or perhaps his value for his own life made him make the decision that he did?

How would shooting the woman he was carjacking have endangered his own life? She was unarmed. Not pulling his weapon on the cop may have been an act of self-preservation. Not shooting a woman after you've gone through the trouble of showing her a loaded gun suggests some semblance of conscience.

The modern idea of "respect for life" is very modern.

Human history quite clearly shows that we, as a specias, have very little respect for life of any kind, especially our fellow man.