Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lattimore to declare for 2013 Draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Lattimore to declare for 2013 Draft

Impressive guy in college with a history of injuries similar to McGhee when he was coming out. Now he has two different knee injuries over a 2 year span so he has some baggage but if he gets healthy for a value pick 3rd or 4th round I would snap him up with a quickness. This is a guy who is a duel threat in the Matt Forte mold. Speed, Vision and the ability to pluck the ball on pass plays. Yummy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...l-draft-source

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very smart move....probably will find someone to take a chance on him in the late 2nd early 3rd round.

Playing out another college year doesnt help him anyway....plus macghee has had a great and i believe injury free career since that

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we have enough injury prone RB's

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kid will be a steal anywhere later than the first round imo.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Very smart move....probably will find someone to take a chance on him in the late 2nd early 3rd round.

Playing out another college year doesnt help him anyway....plus macghee has had a great and i believe injury free career since that
    I dont think he goes before the 4th round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    we have enough injury prone RB's
    Shonn Greene doesn't get injured enough

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see the Jets take a gamble on him. This day and age people are coming back from major injuries pretty fast.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he had just had one injury, then I would say "Go get'em". But two major knee injuries make me stop and think.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    we ended up cutting all of our 6 and 7th round picks this past draft so I'd def use a 6th on him for sure, maybe even a 5th. We have too many other to spend a higher pick than that though IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    we ended up cutting all of our 6 and 7th round picks this past draft so I'd def use a 6th on him for sure, maybe even a 5th. We have too many other to spend a higher pick than that though IMO.
    If he is there in the 3rd it would be crazy not to take him....we could use the temporary IR or PUP list, go with powell/mcknight/grimes or bell for the first half of the year, and then hopefully have a very talented player coming in for the 2nd half of the year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No we didn't. Antonio Allen and Jordan White are still on the roster.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 4th or 5th rounder for a franchise type of RB? He has that rare ability and was mentioned as a top 15 pick before the injury. He certainly would have been the first RB off the board. So are you saying if he was injury free a 1st round pick is too much for his talents? Or are you saying if we trade for say McFadden with a 2nd round pick and he tears his ACL in the 3rd game we spent too much for him? Injuries are a part of the game, especially for RB's. The key is too have someone to back him up who has potential and ability. Much like the Giants have with Bradshaw, Wilson and Brown.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN Draft notes on Lattimore:

South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore is expected to announce later this week his intention to enter the 2013 NFL draft, and it's the right decision despite the gruesome knee injury he suffered in late October that resulted in extensive damage to the anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his right knee.

It makes sense for Lattimore to get paid to rehabilitate his knee and do so under the care of NFL doctors. The injury he suffered against Tennessee is severe and the time frame for a full recovery is up in the air, but he seems unlikely to play until 2014 so Lattimore might as well take advantage of the resources an NFL team has to offer in the meantime.

As for his draft stock, Lattimore began the season with a first-round grade and was the top-rated running back on our board. This injury is likely to cost him a couple of rounds, but when healthy he shows good patience, instincts, vision and balance, and brings versatility in the passing game. Lattimore has a good feel for routes out of the backfield, natural hands to secure the ball and the ability to quickly transition upfield.

[+] Enlarge

Jeremy Brevard/Icon SMI
    Marcus Lattimore's skill set is impressive, but major knee injuries make his draft stock uncertain.
    He also showed good stamina despite his physical style, was able to make defenders miss in space and also pushed the pile when necessary. Lattimore didn't grade out as an elite prospect on the level of Adrian Peterson or Trent Richardson, but there is plenty to like about his game when he's fully healthy.

However, we saw him live three times in 2012, and he was clearly affected early in the season by the injury to his left knee. Lattimore did not accelerate as quickly as before the injury, his lateral agility/quickness were a step behind and he seemed hesitant to make sudden cuts early on.

He did improve as the season progressed and his lateral movements got better, but his suddenness and explosiveness out of cuts remained a concern even as he continued to get closer to 100 percent. Lattimore was more explosive in that Tennessee game than at any previous time during the season, though, especially on his 28-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

Still, there are too many unknowns about his rehab and recovery to make a definitive statement about his stock at this point. Doctors will play a big role on where Lattimore is eventually slotted, and some teams will take him off their boards entirely.

Players like Peterson, Jamaal Charles and Willis McGahee have shown that backs can thrive in the NFL after serious knee injuries, but Lattimore took time to heal fully after his first injury and we have no way of knowing when or if he will get back to full strength this time around.

He proved his intense work ethic by coming back so quickly from his previous knee injury and that carries weight as teams make their risk assessments. However, this is his second major knee injury, running backs have short NFL shelf lives to begin with and the position is simply not as valuable to most teams as it once was.

Based on what we know right now the third round seems to be the best-case scenario for Lattimore, and he could very well end up falling into Day 3 depending on the medical reports. We still think he's making the right decision, but Lattimore has a lot of hard work ahead to maximize his standing before draft weekend rolls around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If healthy, this guy has top 10 talent legitimately. The knee injuries scare you, but I'm reminded of Frank Gore who had a terrible injury history in college and has stayed pretty healthy in the pros and been a really productive player. The Jets have to consider this guy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will go fairly early still, I think. Maybe 3rd round? They should probably get a QB instead.

I would skip him and take Chris Thompson from FSU in the late rounds. He's also coming off a knee injury and is very similar to Leon Washington.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    He will go fairly early still, I think. Maybe 3rd round? They should probably get a QB instead.

I would skip him and take Chris Thompson from FSU in the late rounds. He's also coming off a knee injury and is very similar to Leon Washington.
    I am not familiar with Thompson, but why go for another guy with a knee injury who isn't as talented as Lattimore?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I am not familiar with Thompson, but why go for another guy with a knee injury who isn't as talented as Lattimore?
    Because you can get him 3 or 4 rounds later than lattimore. And I don't think Thompsons injury is as severe. He has a torn acl, not a McGhee

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Shonn Greene doesn't get injured enough
    what a ridiculous thing to say! The guy is a Jet. Lets leave it at that!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Because you can get him 3 or 4 rounds later than lattimore. And I don't think Thompsons injury is as severe. He has a torn acl, not a McGhee
    Ok I follow.

But still if Lattimore can be had for a 3rd round pick, would you instead draft someone else at another position who isn't as talented if healthy a round or two later? I can see a GM saying he can't contribute for a year, but the upside is substantial.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Ok I follow.

But still if Lattimore can be had for a 3rd round pick, would you instead draft someone else at another position who isn't as talented if healthy a round or two later? I can see a GM saying he can't contribute for a year, but the upside is substantial.
    There are a couple of things to think about.

1. How long is the recovery time
    2. Will he ever be the same player he was before the injury

The upside depends on his ability to get back to 100%

Also you have to consider the fact that there are lots of talented players available in the 2-3 round range.