Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Why Jets fans shouldn't root against the Jets.

  1. #21
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    307
    Its unfortunate that most threads derail into hateful bashing of a player or each other. I understand frustration but I doubt some of the more ignorant people on here hold themselves to the standard they hold these 20-30 year olds.

    Maybe that is just what happens to you after so many years watching this team.

  2. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    W. Germany
    Posts
    1,185
    Too much talk here that reminds me of /sp/.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    We're hated everywhere because we live in one of the most hated douchebag filled areas in the country and we're not even THE team everyone roots for. We're considered the team of nobodies that takes up spots in the playoffs from other teams and waste it away for 40+ years, not because we want people fired or because we root against our team
    This is nonsense. No one hates us on the scale that you imagine. The constant "everyone is laughing at us" schtick couldn't be further from the truth. You think Bucs fans care about the Jets? How about Bears fans?

    You know what teams are hated? Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants.

    What's the common theme there? They win Superbowls.

    I wish we were hated for that reason. But we're not. We're irrelevant to most NFL fans. The last thing we should be doing is caring how our team is perceived by the rest of the country based on our own misguided perceptions of the rest of the country.

  4. #24
    Why Jets fans need to stop being happy with mediocrity.
    Here's what you should've written about.

    Dump.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    This is nonsense. No one hates us on the scale that you imagine. The constant "everyone is laughing at us" schtick couldn't be further from the truth. You think Bucs fans care about the Jets? How about Bears fans?

    You know what teams are hated? Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants.

    What's the common theme there? They win Superbowls.

    I wish we were hated for that reason. But we're not. We're irrelevant to most NFL fans. The last thing we should be doing is caring how our team is perceived by the rest of the country based on our own misguided perceptions of the rest of the country.
    You hit it out of the park. Fans of there teams don't hate the jets. However the jet organization is not the most media savvy group to be sure. The willingness to make "outrageous" statements and invite media to have inside access does not serve them well.

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,840
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You hit it out of the park. Fans of there teams don't hate the jets. However the jet organization is not the most media savvy group to be sure. The willingness to make "outrageous" statements and invite media to have inside access does not serve them well.
    People (non-Jet fans) generally don't like the Jets because they have a boring as hell offense. That's just a fact.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You hit it out of the park. Fans of there teams don't hate the jets. However the jet organization is not the most media savvy group to be sure. The willingness to make "outrageous" statements and invite media to have inside access does not serve them well.
    Media savvy?

    The Jets have no control of the obsession that the local and national coverage have of the team, as well as the daily agenda they spew.

    The Jets have the WORST, and I mean WORST local media coverage, most of them are *******s, they are entitled elitist a-holes, bread most probably due to the competition of working in the industry in the New York market.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    This seems to be the way of thinking around here, but here are several reasons why it shouldn't be done.

    1. It is not fair to the players that are out there working their ass off and risking injuries. I know that to some, the salary could make up for it, but it is just not fair to players like Wilkerson, Kerley, Mangold and others who work their butts off to play a game in front of fans.

    2. Assumption part I: We are assuming that if the Jets go 6-10 or 7-9 that a house cleaning is on the way. Reports have already come out saying that Rex and Mark are staying with the Jets and Tanny will be moved if these events occur. But it is not definite. So essentially, fans are rooting for an unknown happenstance.

    3. Assumption part II: So if Woody cleans house, how do we know that the next staff is going to be better? Pete Carroll was fired after one losing season and we got Kotite'd. San Diego fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2 and have not done anything since under Norv Turner. Just because we clean house doesn't guarantee success in the next version.

    4. Draft status: We are so far in the middle that losing 3 games might not get us a quality draft pick. If we were 3-10 at the moment, that would be a different story.

    5. Common sense: Does the New York media think people are stupid in saying that just because the Jets club could get into the playoffs that this team is fixed? Woody Johnson fired Eric Mangini after a 9-7 season. I think Woody can look between the lines.
    1. Cry me a river.

    2. It may not bring about immediate changes but it gets the ball rolling.

    3. There are no guarantees that the next staff will be better. However, I don't see Rex the HC as having done much. The team needs a coach not a mouth piece. I don't see Rex the HC as a person the team can not afford to lose or could not be replaced. You do not make staff changes based on fear. If you stay with Rex you do so because you have faith in him as the HC. But, to accept mediocrity because you're scared of failure is bush league. He does not seem to have grown as a HC during his time here now year 4.

    4. Every win hurts the draft pick when a lot of teams are bunched together towards .500.

    5. Common sense and New York Jets.... Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht, and Gholston say hello. Never use the words common sense and New York Jets together if implying that the jets possess some. It just shows your lack of experience with the team.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 12-10-2012 at 06:29 PM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Media savvy?

    The Jets have no control of the obsession that the local and national coverage have of the team, as well as the daily agenda they spew.

    The Jets have the WORST, and I mean WORST local media coverage, most of them are *******s, they are entitled elitist a-holes, bread most probably due to the competition of working in the industry in the New York market.
    No Ray- you are dead wrong

    1. Hard knocks
    2. Coach making SB predictions- No other coach does this, I can not remember a NFL coach ever saying such a thing.
    3. A Press conference to announce the signing of a B/U QB flying in on the owners private jet.
    4. Inviting ESPN to camp out and then complain that they make a big deal out of scuffles
    5. The coach encouraging the players to be as brash as he is.

    When you wallow with pigs you get dirty. The jets sought media attention, they can not choose what they now want to report.

    I know you hat patriot references, but at least mangini knew that the media is the enemy of a team, and not somebody to partner with.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Same can be said of the Lions, Browns and Bills. What's your point.

    Douchebag might be the key.
    Yeah, and their fans do not fill the stadium every week like Jets fans do.

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    If you are a Jets fan you never root against your team.

    i don't get the stupidity of some people.
    If ur tired of having a ****ty suckchez sissy qb....and are officially eliminated from the playoffs.....u most certainly can root to lose for either improved draft pick or the clean out the garbage. That's what I do and I am smart.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    If ur tired of having a ****ty suckchez sissy qb....and are officially eliminated from the playoffs.....u most certainly can root to lose for either improved draft pick or the clean out the garbage. That's what I do and I am smart.
    I don't believe they are mathematically eliminated, but I get your drift. Personally, I can't root against the team (thought I pray to God Sanchez gets benched). That said, I find that my emotion is all but gone now during the game.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    If ur tired of having a ****ty suckchez sissy qb....and are officially eliminated from the playoffs.....u most certainly can root to lose for either improved draft pick or the clean out the garbage. That's what I do and I am smart.
    If they are officially eliminated, sure.

    But there a whole bunch of morons here who are already (and have been) rooting for the team to lose.

  14. #34
    I think the performances of the guys we already have on the roster are more important than worrying about the draft pick when we're obviously nowhere near the Chiefs, Eagles, etc. Last two "great draft picks" we got, we spent on Gholston and Sanchez.

    9-7, no playoffs, Wilkinson, Kerley and Coples continue to look like quality NFL players? I'll take that.

  15. #35
    If nothing else, I want Tim Tebow gone- I never wanted him in the first place and it will be such a relief when his legions are out of our fanbase.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    This is nonsense. No one hates us on the scale that you imagine. The constant "everyone is laughing at us" schtick couldn't be further from the truth. You think Bucs fans care about the Jets? How about Bears fans?

    You know what teams are hated? Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Giants.

    What's the common theme there? They win Superbowls.

    I wish we were hated for that reason. But we're not. We're irrelevant to most NFL fans. The last thing we should be doing is caring how our team is perceived by the rest of the country based on our own misguided perceptions of the rest of the country.
    This is so true. All my friends around the country who root for NFL teams actually feel bad for us. They keep asking me what is going on with our team. They want us to go back to the old Jets from a couple years ago. They don't hate us at all. But, they do hate the Giants.

  17. #37
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,341
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    If nothing else, I want Tim Tebow gone- I never wanted him in the first place and it will be such a relief when his legions are out of our fanbase.
    This Tebow mess was the owners doing; no way Mikey T extends Sanchez and THEN turns to Tebow. The new contract made Sanchez unbenchable; no way Tanny swings at Tebow in that case unless pressured by the owner that wanted that mojo.

    A pretty crappy stain on the franchise. Woody to blame.


  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    We're hated everywhere because we live in one of the most hated douchebag filled areas in the country and we're not even THE team everyone roots for. We're considered the team of nobodies that takes up spots in the playoffs from other teams and waste it away for 40+ years, not because we want people fired or because we root against our team
    +1

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No Ray- you are dead wrong

    1. Hard knocks
    2. Coach making SB predictions- No other coach does this, I can not remember a NFL coach ever saying such a thing.
    3. A Press conference to announce the signing of a B/U QB flying in on the owners private jet.
    4. Inviting ESPN to camp out and then complain that they make a big deal out of scuffles
    5. The coach encouraging the players to be as brash as he is.

    When you wallow with pigs you get dirty. The jets sought media attention, they can not choose what they now want to report.

    I know you hat patriot references, but at least mangini knew that the media is the enemy of a team, and not somebody to partner with.
    Complete crap.

    Rex coaches with emotion, that's his style, to be fair, he'll need to learn to balance it out, and he's doing that.

    Hard Knocks? Complete BS.

    A coach encouraging his players to play with emotion, that is what the game is about.

    The Jets didn't invite ESPN, they requested it, the Jets didn't care. The ONLY reason ESPN did it, was to kick off the Tebow nonsense, the Jets probably didn't see it coming. And spare me the media rhetoric and Woody's PSL's, and Woody wanted backpages, it's pure media CRAP!

    Tebow did not fly in on Woody's private plane, and the media requested the press conference, not the other way around.

    If you're going to spew garbage, get your facts right.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I think the performances of the guys we already have on the roster are more important than worrying about the draft pick when we're obviously nowhere near the Chiefs, Eagles, etc. Last two "great draft picks" we got, we spent on Gholston and Sanchez.

    9-7, no playoffs, Wilkinson, Kerley and Coples continue to look like quality NFL players? I'll take that.
    What guys? the 17 that are FA or the ones that may be here next year. And just because you picked two bad guys does not mean the team would not benefit from a top ten pick. Some fans are taking a more long range view than just this immediate season. What if the team goes 9-7 and picks 21 instead of 6-10 and picking #8 . Coples and Demario Davis get more playing time to develop this year, Eric Smith is being cut and Moore and Slauson are FA so why not play Ducasse even more and let Bush get reps. Let McIntyre and Sapp get some snaps, You have to see what you got on the roster before you go to FA and the draft. Sanchez is going to be on the roster next year and playing him when he is struggling is doing him no favors while JMac sits and does not develop.


    Before last weeks game the odds were 1 in 20 that the jets make the playoffs. That is make the playoffs and play a road game most likely in Denver. If you think that carrot is good enough not to develop players at the expense of giveing playing time to guys who are not going to be here when the team reloads, fine. But don't put down fans who rather go with a long term look than the short range one.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us