Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Why Jets fans shouldn't root against the Jets.

  1. #1

    Why Jets fans shouldn't root against the Jets.

    This seems to be the way of thinking around here, but here are several reasons why it shouldn't be done.

    1. It is not fair to the players that are out there working their ass off and risking injuries. I know that to some, the salary could make up for it, but it is just not fair to players like Wilkerson, Kerley, Mangold and others who work their butts off to play a game in front of fans.

    2. Assumption part I: We are assuming that if the Jets go 6-10 or 7-9 that a house cleaning is on the way. Reports have already come out saying that Rex and Mark are staying with the Jets and Tanny will be moved if these events occur. But it is not definite. So essentially, fans are rooting for an unknown happenstance.

    3. Assumption part II: So if Woody cleans house, how do we know that the next staff is going to be better? Pete Carroll was fired after one losing season and we got Kotite'd. San Diego fired Marty Schottenheimer after going 14-2 and have not done anything since under Norv Turner. Just because we clean house doesn't guarantee success in the next version.

    4. Draft status: We are so far in the middle that losing 3 games might not get us a quality draft pick. If we were 3-10 at the moment, that would be a different story.

    5. Common sense: Does the New York media think people are stupid in saying that just because the Jets club could get into the playoffs that this team is fixed? Woody Johnson fired Eric Mangini after a 9-7 season. I think Woody can look between the lines.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Exhibit A: on why Jets fans are hated everywhere.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Exhibit A: on why Jets fans are hated everywhere.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Exhibit A: on why Jets fans are hated everywhere.
    We're hated everywhere because we live in one of the most hated douchebag filled areas in the country and we're not even THE team everyone roots for. We're considered the team of nobodies that takes up spots in the playoffs from other teams and waste it away for 40+ years, not because we want people fired or because we root against our team

  6. #6
    Unless you have an excellent QB, it's crazy to assume that the team should be in the playoffs every year...

    Dunno why people are set on that mentality. It's not baseball where certain teams have much higher payrolls and can just about guarantee it because of that.

    Sanchez sucks, I think the coaches and everyone have realized that finally, and next year we'll see another QB in the mix. We can't release Sanchez but he won't be starting which is fine.

    Unfortunately there's next to nothing in this draft so perhaps Flynn is the best option.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    We're hated everywhere because we live in one of the most hated douchebag filled areas in the country and we're not even THE team everyone roots for. We're considered the team of nobodies that takes up spots in the playoffs from other teams and waste it away for 40+ years, not because we want people fired or because we root against our team
    Same can be said of the Lions, Browns and Bills. What's your point.

    Douchebag might be the key.

  8. #8
    While I agree about the players supposedly busting their asses, it sure did not look like it during 34-0, 30-9, 49-19 at home, the Seattle game, and the Pittsburgh game.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Same can be said of the Lions, Browns and Bills. What's your point.

    Douchebag might be the key.
    Same can't be said about the Lions or the Browns or even the Bills to an extent. After a period of time of being basement dwellers, people don't associate you with hate as much as they just feel sorry for you. The Jets for the passed 15-20 years haven't been that

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    While I agree about the players supposedly busting their asses, it sure did not look like it during 34-0, 30-9, 49-19 at home, the Seattle game, and the Pittsburgh game.
    The only game where you may have a point is the Dolphins game. All the other games featured the Jets going up against better teams and in the case of the last two, in tough environments.

  11. #11
    If you are a Jets fan you never root against your team.

    i don't get the stupidity of some people.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    If you are a Jets fan you never root against your team.

    i don't get the stupidity of some people.
    Don't you get it? Rex is teh worstest coach evah! Mike Francesa and the rest of the boring uptight media told me.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Same can't be said about the Lions or the Browns or even the Bills to an extent. After a period of time of being basement dwellers, people don't associate you with hate as much as they just feel sorry for you. The Jets for the passed 15-20 years haven't been that
    Fine. Let's put the Chargers and Vikings in the list. They have been quality teams.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Exhibit A: on why Jets fans are hated everywhere.
    +1

    he is just an attention seeker trying to be funny.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,791
    A series of things have given the Jets their current reputation. I don't think we can shake it until:

    a) We stop getting blown out when we do lose games (a sign of poor coaching, honestly)
    b) We harness some offensive firepower
    c) We stop doing things like signing Tim Tebow

    "a" can be addressed by Rex surrounding himself with some better coaches. I like Dunbar and Pettinne...it will be tough to replace Westhoff. I don't like Sparano and I REALLY don't like Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh couldn't tell that Flacco was better than Palko when he coached at Pitt...and we wonder why Sanchez hasn't developed? My hope is that we get a proven OC who's worn out his welcome as a HC (Norv?)

    "b" requires Rex to stop pushing for defensive players. He's generally hit on his defensive picks, I can't fault him for falling in love with these guys like Wilkerson, Coples, Demario Davis...but we need the organization to realize the importance of investing in offense. We need to go into next season with Holmes, Hill, [Round 1/2 Draft pick], Kerley, [Reliable FA WR Vet]

    "c" requires the PURGING of Tim Tebow and for the owner to simply STFU. I honestly think Rex Ryan has done a better job of interacting with the media this season.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,193
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    We're hated everywhere because we live in one of the most hated douchebag filled areas in the country and we're not even THE team everyone roots for. We're considered the team of nobodies that takes up spots in the playoffs from other teams and waste it away for 40+ years, not because we want people fired or because we root against our team
    Usually teams that stink do not get as much hatred as the Jets get. You would think we would have become "lovable losers" where everyone roots for us to win b.c they realize it has been 40+ years. Instead we are hated,

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    +1

    he is just an attention seeker trying to be funny.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Usually teams that stink do not get as much hatred as the Jets get. You would think we would have become "lovable losers" where everyone roots for us to win b.c they realize it has been 40+ years. Instead we are hated and the main reason for that is the HC.
    That's where the douchebag factor comes in, as pointed out by my earlier statement about McGinley. And even though the presence of Rex may have magnified it, it has always been there pre Rex.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,861
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Usually teams that stink do not get as much hatred as the Jets get. You would think we would have become "lovable losers" where everyone roots for us to win b.c they realize it has been 40+ years. Instead we are hated,
    We are hated because of the media. Some of it self inflicted, and some not.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That's where the douchebag factor comes in, as pointed out by my earlier statement about McGinley. And even though the presence of Rex may have magnified it, it has always been there pre Rex.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us