Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking back on JI Pre-season Predictions

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Choon, did I make a prediction? I would search myself but I'm on tapatalk.

Edit - Just checked and I didn't make a prediction in that thread. But I think I did predict between 7 and 9 wins.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I was just looking back on the Pre-season prediction thread and got some interesting results. There were 77 concrete predictions given. The results I got were 632 wins and 620 losses. This obviously says that over those 77 predictions the average record people on JI thought the Jets would have is 8-8. These predictions were given prior to Revis and Holmes going down for the year. I can comfortably say that if we were going into the season without those 2 that on average people would have predicted 2 less wins which would constitute to a 6-10 record. I think people forget that we weren't highly regarded going into the season but a lot were optimistic b/c we had what appeared to be an easy schedule and that one reason is why most of the people who had us above 8-8 sighted for having that prediction. Well as it turns out through 13 games we have had the toughest schedule in the NFL and that's without our best offensive and defensive player. 6-7 suddenly doesn't seem like such a disappointment when you look back at what expectations were prior to the season. And now 9-7 doesn't seem out of reach and 8-8 definitely attainable. I won't call anyone out on here but go back to the pre-season thread and look b/c the same people who are driving the "fire Rex" mantra are some of the same people who predicted us to have less or an equal amount of wins as we do now and that was with Revis and Holmes healthy. So the Jets exceeded your expectations yet you're still whining and carrying on like children? Utter FAIL!
    It is kind of interesting how we perceive things. I can't remember if I posted in that thread but I have a spreadsheet where I've been tracking some stuff with my tickets and I went game by game twice right before the season started and in both cases had them at 8-8. And in my second set I had them at 6-7 now and winning 2 of their next 3.

So yeah, basically it's going as I thought it would, and you're right that I probably would have predicted worse without Revis and Holmes.

But despite this, I was ready to throw myself over a sword a few weeks ago.

I do think that there is a little more to this, like the way they got to where they are. The whole butt fumble thing, having to listen to a ton of Tebow talk, Sanchez with his mistakes, the crazy NE Thanksgiving game with 3 TDs in 50 seconds or whatever, etc. But overall I do think you have a good point that we're really getting what we expected

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Choon, did I make a prediction? I would search myself but I'm on tapatalk.
    No, not that I saw

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    It is kind of interesting how we perceive things. I can't remember if I posted in that thread but I have a spreadsheet where I've been tracking some stuff with my tickets and I went game by game twice right before the season started and in both cases had them at 8-8. And in my second set I had them at 6-7 now and winning 2 of their next 3.

So yeah, basically it's going as I thought it would, and you're right that I probably would have predicted worse without Revis and Holmes.

But despite this, I was ready to throw myself over a sword a few weeks ago.

I do think that there is a little more to this, like the way they got to where they are. The whole butt fumble thing, having to listen to a ton of Tebow talk, Sanchez with his mistakes, the crazy NE Thanksgiving game with 3 TDs in 50 seconds or whatever, etc. But overall I do think you have a good point that we're really getting what we expected
    Yeah you had them at 8-8. I do agree that the way we got here is the bigger issue. Some of the losses were just so tough. I had them at 8-5 at this point b/c I had them beating the Texans and sweeping the Dolphins. I had them winning 2 of the next 3 (loss to Buffalo). I predicted 10-6. I thought for sure that they would sweep the Dolphins and split with the Pats and Bills. That was how I could get them to 10-6.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, not that I saw
    Yeah, I checked. Must have missed that thread. There are some funny posts in that thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just looking back on the Pre-season prediction thread and got some interesting results. There were 77 concrete predictions given. The results I got were 632 wins and 620 losses. This obviously says that over those 77 predictions the average record people on JI thought the Jets would have is 8-8. These predictions were given prior to Revis and Holmes going down for the year. I can comfortably say that if we were going into the season without those 2 that on average people would have predicted 2 less wins which would constitute to a 6-10 record. I think people forget that we weren't highly regarded going into the season but a lot were optimistic b/c we had what appeared to be an easy schedule and that one reason is why most of the people who had us above 8-8 sighted for having that prediction. Well as it turns out through 13 games we have had the toughest schedule in the NFL and that's without our best offensive and defensive player. 6-7 suddenly doesn't seem like such a disappointment when you look back at what expectations were prior to the season. And now 9-7 doesn't seem out of reach and 8-8 definitely attainable. I won't call anyone out on here but go back to the pre-season thread and look b/c the same people who are driving the "fire Rex" mantra are some of the same people who predicted us to have less or an equal amount of wins as we do now and that was with Revis and Holmes healthy. So the Jets exceeded your expectations yet you're still whining and carrying on like children? Utter FAIL!
    Can you find the other prediction thread where we all gave our top 3 or top 5 predictions as to what would happen with/on the Jets this season? Would be interesting to see how we've all done so far.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah you had them at 8-8. I do agree that the way we got here is the bigger issue. Some of the losses were just so tough. I had them at 8-5 at this point b/c I had them beating the Texans and sweeping the Dolphins. I had them winning 2 of the next 3 (loss to Buffalo). I predicted 10-6. I thought for sure that they would sweep the Dolphins and split with the Pats and Bills. That was how I could get them to 10-6.
    It is pretty crazy. They lit up Buffalo with Sanchez putting on a show, then if I recall the Pittsburgh game wasn't that bad and if a few things broke differently could have gone the other way. Then they get destroyed by SF, but then play good games vs. Houston and NE and kill the Colts. Then it all went to crap for a few weeks, culminating in the butt fumble game.

But here we are. I'm not thinking playoffs at all, but I'm really happy they're playing meaningful games. And I really hope they beat the Titans so we get another meaningful home game. But watch they'll go off the next 2 games then crap the bed against the Bills and just miss the playoffs....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My pre-season prediction was vastly incorrect.

First year I predict a big-win season, figures we got (or soon to go) my usual pessimistic 8-8'ish.

I'll never buy in on a guy like Sanchez again.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    My pre-season prediction was vastly incorrect.

First year I predict a big-win season, figures we got (or soon to go) my usual pessimistic 8-8'ish.

I'll never buy in on a guy like Sanchez again.
    I remember reading your prediction and basically it said something to the effect of having to do with a weak schedule, which is what we all thought the Jets had. Turns out based on real time standings it is the toughest in the NFL at this point. Plus the injuries to Revis, Holmes. Hill being out a lot, Keller missing multiple games. Things can change in a hurry.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Can you find the other prediction thread where we all gave our top 3 or top 5 predictions as to what would happen with/on the Jets this season? Would be interesting to see how we've all done so far.
    Here you go:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...ht=predictions

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure:

Simijet: 5-11
    JetsRooter: 4-12
    Rextilleon: 5-11
    Ash1962: 3-13
    lageman4ever: 4-12
    heymangold: "would be happy with a 6-10 record"
    Minkaveli: 6-10
    Patsfantx: "6-8 wins tops"
    Ironfan40: 7-9
    NewYorkSackExchange: 7-9
    Sports: 7-9
    Vinny Testaverde's Niece: 6-10
    LSJF: 7-9
    Scitscat: 7-9
    JetFan16: 6-10
    Jmat321: "Best case 6-10, worst case 2-14."
    ChiroRob: "4-18, We will have losses so bad that they count as two."
    Fidelioion: 6-10
    Traitor Jay & the Woodies: 5-11
    LanceMehl: "4-12 or 5-11"
    NYJets4Life: 6-10
    Green&White51: 5-11
    LAJetFan: "7-9 maybe 6-10"
    PMarsico: "6-10, unless they sign a Right Tackle and a true #2 WR." Neither of those 2 things happened
    MnJetFan: 2-14
    dcronin: "5-11 tops"
    TechJet: "6-10 I feel bad for Tebow. After the 2012 season he's leaving anyway. " In TechJets defense 2 weeks prior to this prediction he said we were going to go 8-8.

Mike and Mike predicted us to go 6-10. So when you hear them talking sh*t about the Jets record you can remember that they are phonies and hypocritical.

Southtown: Talking about the Mike and Mike predictions, "Sounds about right"
    So we are doing better than Most thought we would. Hell, you'd think this place would less doom and gloom.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I predicted 13-3 and looking at it from a California math lab: (6-7) + 3 = JETS.

Sound fundamentals.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, I just read the first few posts in that thread but then had to stop since I began to cry....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    September 6, 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1. The schedule is difficult early, can easily create a 2-5 start and feed the sleeping mess from last season, team falls apart, doesn't fight it out at the end. The running order means something.

2. If you go by last year's team that beat no one with a winning record and was a hair over .500 against the scrubs, it adds up to 7-9 or 6-10.

I've got 'em at 5-11 because of the personnel and the timing. I don't think they've improved overall, I think they lose early, fall apart as a team, continue last season's implosion, and quit on Rex again.

SAR I
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh....php?p=4582005

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1) Jets open the season 2-4.

2) Patriots annihilate Week 7.

3) Ryan replaced with interim Sparano Week 8.

SAR I
    Pretty close, not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    1. We will be much better than the majority at JI think we will be. 10 wins minimum.

2. Tebow will be more productive in the Wildcat/RB Role than his critics at JI predict he will be. 500 Yards rushing and 8 TD's in total, minimum.

3. The Jets will host at least one playoff game this postseason.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are a troll of the highest order. Just reading your last few posts and nearly all of them are knocking posters and/or the board.

I'm not whining about the wins. Just wondering how they change things and why 2 wins against crappy teams justify calling people out for predictions.

Where was this thread two weeks ago? Where were you and the brigade two weeks ago. The brigade's act is very transparent.
    No, he's just nailing you for the complete joke you are...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Genius-----ask yourself one question--------Did they make the Playoffs---and by the way, give me a list of those who thought they would win 10-12 games so that we can deride them. They are not a good football team. Stop wasting your time with this ridiculous analysis.

Oh, let me remind you--------Rex Ryan "This is the best group of players I have had since I have been here"-------It follows that he must be a horrible head coach. Check this out: http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=160
    Last edited by rextilleon; 12-11-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not whining about the wins. Just wondering how they change things and why 2 wins against crappy teams justify calling people out for predictions.
    Fair point.

As far as the haters go, why would 2 losses against elite teams (HOU, SF) justify calling out the optimists or demanding everyone in the Jets organization be fired? Even for me, it was tough to not jump off the ledge after the San Fran game.

At the same token, isn't this kind of how we all predicted the season would go?

Going back to the prediction or schedule threads, everyone knew that the first chunk of the schedule was going to be brutal (SF, HOU, @NE, @PIT to name a few) while the back end was going to be easier (ARI, @JAC, SD, etc.). Back in the summer, 3-5 record after eight games seemed like a very realistic possibility.

FWIW, I try to be objective and admittedly tend to see the silver lining at times, but I knew that the Jets this year would be a 7-9 or 8-8 team. It's certainly going that way. Now what kind of 7-9/8-8 team we would be, we can slice that one any way we'd like.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 12-11-2012 at 12:15 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    I agree with many of the ones previously posted so I will go with three not mentioned so far:

1) LaRon Landry will play in every game this year
    2) Demario Davis takes over for Bart Scott in the 2nd half of the season
    3) Jordan White will return to the active roster and become Mark's favorite WR.

All of my predictions may turn out accurate, especially if they play White more.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    April 30, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19

The Jets can be a 12-4 team, they can be that good. They have the potential.

Locking in the Pats at 14 wins is pure comedy and homerism, especially right now, with so much up in the air with the team on offense at WR, with Welker's inevitable holdout, Mankins injury, Brady aging, BGJE's loss, and a defense that was at the bottom of the league last year.

They had a good run last year

Teams will be better prepared this year against the Patriots two TE's.
    We're not forgetting. Nope. Not happening.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...&postcount=160

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19

The challenge is FIND the post I predicted 12 wins, post and link, find the post, and I'm gone, a ban of any length of your request. Do it or STFU!
    Done. 1 year. Bye.

SAR I