Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking back on JI Pre-season Predictions

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There you go again inventing an argument. I never said that the wins don't count. But the opponent should be taken into consideration. Our performances against good teams has left a lot to be desired.

Pats made the SB last year. There weren't squeaking by.
    Only you can go through the reasons why wins are somehow meaningless. And use two different criteria, one for the Pats, one for the Jets.

As I said, the Pats beat not one team with a winning record last regular season. Stay on point....you're beating yourself up over your own whine, not mine. You moaned about the teams the Jets beat, pointed out that only the Colts are a winning team. The Pats didn't beat a single team, not one. Yet to you and your whine the Pats are different, 0 teams with winning records is tougher than 1.

Didn't hear anyone say they didn't belong in the playoffs or the SB for that reason. Because outside of SOJFs wins are wins, they all count

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I remember reading your prediction and basically it said something to the effect of having to do with a weak schedule, which is what we all thought the Jets had. Turns out based on real time standings it is the toughest in the NFL at this point. Plus the injuries to Revis, Holmes. Hill being out a lot, Keller missing multiple games. Things can change in a hurry.
    Our schedule was emminently winnable this year. 12 wins was not out of the question.

Things I got horribly wrong and/or did not see coming:

1. Sanchez's continued regression and failure at QB. The prime factor IMO.
    2. The Loss of Revis for the Season so early (best player on D).
    3. The Loss of Holmes for the Season so early (best player on O).
    4. The total failure of Greene to take the next step at RB.
    5. The failure of the staff to utilize the speed and quickness of McKnight on Offense.
    6. Tebowfail is fail.
    7. The Defense front group being hurt early, and weaker against the run that I expected.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    He wasn't wrong. You don't go by what the teams record was when you played them, you go by what their overall record is at the end of the season. But does it really matter? They didn't win the Super Bowl, neither did the Jets so who gives a sh*t anymore.
    But if the Pats did not beat them they would have had a winning record. The pats beat a playoff team during the season.

And making it to the superbowl is a hell of an accomplishment. I am happy that the pats got to the superbowl, just not as happy as I would be if they won it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    The Jets never had the talent to win 12 games, even if they were 100% healthy. When you have a bottom 5 starting QB, .500 is the very best you can hope for.

Great call on the demise of the Patriots.
    There is no way to quantify this, and if the Jets win out, the argument could be made that if they were healthy, they could have won more games, certainly the first Pats game, which was a win that was given away. The second Miami game too. Even the Texans game on Monday night was a close game, who is to say if the Jets didn't have several key players that were out in that game they could have won that?

EAD troll!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Only you can go through the reasons why wins are somehow meaningless. And use two different criteria, one for the Pats, one for the Jets.

As I said, the Pats beat not one team with a winning record last regular season. Stay on point....you're beating yourself up over your own whine, not mine. You moaned about the teams the Jets beat, pointed out that only the Colts are a winning team. The Pats didn't beat a single team, not one. Yet to you and your whine the Pats are different, 0 teams with winning records is tougher than 1.

Didn't hear anyone say they didn't belong in the playoffs or the SB for that reason. Because outside of SOJFs wins are wins, they all count
    Pats made the SB. We did not. Plain and simple. There is a huge difference between what they did and what we did. They beat us twice in the regular season and embarrassed us at home. You make it sound as if the teams had equal resumes.

Never once did I ever say a win doesn't count so please stop trying to invent an argument with that. However, the opponents and performance against those opponents do count for something to me as well as a bunch of other people.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are right. And the real shame is that even with our lack of weapons IF we had an average QB we would be a 10 or 11 win team on any given year and with this year's schedule maybe 12 or 13.

Just look at the difference in the OL and running game just by going from a league-worst RT to an average player. An improvement at the QB position would have an even bigger impact than that.
    ....and none of that would have mattered come playoff time because the uninjured defense, chock-full of free agents and draft picks, can't stop a good offense, can't beat an elite team.

And even with our broken quarterback, the Jets would make the playoffs had:

1. The defense held onto a 4th quarter lead with 90 seconds remaining in New England.

2. The defense and special teams not handed a backup quarterback the game vs. Miami.

Two division games, one set-up for one simple defensive stop, the other a catastrophic secondary/ST breakdown, both could have been wins, we'd be looking at 10-6 this very day, awful Sanchez or no awful Sanchez.

But either way, no difference. This team was making no noise in the playoffs anyway. Our season ended in July when our HC and GM decided not to invest a lick in our offense.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    There is no way to quantify this, and if the Jets win out, the argument could be made that if they were healthy, they could have won more games, certainly the first Pats game, which was a win that was given away.
    23. New York Jets: 100-1

Greg McElroy was back to being irrelevant, and it didn't cost the Jets with Mark Sanchez back in the saddle. Luckily for the Jets, they were facing the Jaguars. Don't be fooled by the 6-7 record—this team is a total mess and will find a way to miss the postseason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...for-every-team

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Your () better than that. Past month or so you have been insightful.

Don't let the brigade drag you down.
    The only brigade is the whining one.. I'm totally disgusted with the team this year I just don't think whining day after day is the way to go.. You have every right to criticize the team but you seem not to be able to take what you give..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Jets lost 17-13 to the Tebow led Broncos. Pats beat that same team 42-10 in the playoffs. But please tell me again how the teams had comparable situations and outcomes. Also show me the 5 games the Pats lost last season by 17+ points (like we have this year).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    ....and none of that would have mattered come playoff time because the uninjured defense, chock-full of free agents and draft picks, can't stop a good offense, can't beat an elite team.

1. The defense held onto a 4th quarter lead with 90 seconds remaining in New England.

2. The defense and special teams not handed a backup quarterback the game vs. Miami.

Two division games, one set-up for one simple defensive stop, the other a catastrophic secondary/ST breakdown, both could have been wins, we'd be looking at 10-6 this very day, awful Sanchez or no awful Sanchez.

But either way, no difference. This team was making no noise in the playoffs anyway. Our season ended in July when our HC and GM decided not to invest a lick in our offense.

SAR I
    A simple defensive stop against the Pats? Ask the Texans D how simple stopping the Pats offense is...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    You are probably right about that. But better QB play and better offense would take some pressure off the defense. You don't need a great defense to win a SB. You need to have a competitive offense. Even the '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs had average offenses. The defense is not nearly as good as advertised (by the HC) but it is the offense and QB play that has killed this team. Some of the blame for that goes to the GM and HC for not investing in the offense but it is what it is at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The only brigade is the whining one.. I'm totally disgusted with the team this year I just don't think whining day after day is the way to go.. You have every right to criticize the team but you seem not to be able to take what you give..
    I am disgusted with the team. I have not whined about winning. I am glad we won those games. I have criticized the GM, HC and QB. All three have been major topics of discussion here. I don't see that as "whining". IMO whining would be criticizing and harping on a player like Revis for giving up a TD pass. I feel that the criticism of the GM, HC, and QB is fair and justified.

And what do I "give"? I rarely criticize a poster unless they criticize me first on a personal level. IMO the team is fair game. It is the very purpose of the Landing Strip.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even the '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs had average offenses.
    The 2000 Ravens scored 333 points, 32 TD's (of which 1 was Defensive). Tunrover ratio was +49/-26 or +23

The 2002 Bucs scored 344 points, 35 TD's (of which 5 were Defensive). Turnover ratio was +38/-21 or +17

The 1985 Bears scored 456 points, 51 TD's (of which 5 were Defensive). Turnover ratio was 51+/34- or +17

The 2012 Jets thru 13 games have scored 243 points, 28 TD's (of which 3 were Defensive). Turnover ratio is 22+/28- or -6

Our O would have to score ~30 points a game each of the final three games......just to equal the horrificly poor O of the 2000 Ravens led by Trent Dilfer.

in fairness, our D has also not gotten nearly enough turnovers themselves in 2012. The lack of pass pressure and loss of Revis surely are factors there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I am disgusted with the team. I have not whined about winning. I am glad we won those games. I have criticized the GM, HC and QB. All three have been major topics of discussion here. I don't see that as "whining". IMO whining would be criticizing and harping on a player like Revis for giving up a TD pass. I feel that the criticism of the GM, HC, and QB is fair and justified.

And what do I "give"? I rarely criticize a poster unless they criticize me first on a personal level. IMO the team is fair game. It is the very purpose of the Landing Strip.
    Why should posters be exempt from criticism?? So only Rex the FO and players can be targets?? That don't seem fair?? They all deserve it as well as some posters IMHO..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel that the Jets have a better chance to lose out than win out. Given how the team has played in the last two weeks, I'm not sure how anyone somewhat objective would favor us over the Titans and Chargers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I feel that the Jets have a better chance to lose out than win out. Given how the team has played in the last two weeks, I'm not sure how anyone somewhat objective would favor us over the Titans and Chargers.
    If Sanchez plays like he has all year I could definitely see that happening..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +a billion

we are all unhappy with this years results but the JI whining brigade has made it ev even more unbearable than needed

The unrelenting day after day whining gnashing of teeth, calling for bloodletting even after wins and the attacks on any posters that dare to still support the team is pretty much sickening

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Titans are favored by 1.5. Locker is the type of QB that we usually handle though under Rex. It's a toss-up game I guess. Chargers if they play their A game will definitely beat us. They don't play their A game often though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Titans are favored by 1.5. Locker is the type of QB that we usually handle though under Rex. It's a toss-up game I guess. Chargers if they play their A game will definitely beat us. They don't play their A game often though.
    The Jets A game is better than SDs A game. But neither team shows that often.

It's a toss up game. Both QBs are turnover machines, and the outcome hinges on who protects the ball.

The Titans will have a tough time scoring, as will the Jets. I could see NY winning a close one 13-10

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    The Jets A game is better than SDs A game. But neither team shows that often.

It's a toss up game. Both QBs are turnover machines, and the outcome hinges on who protects the ball.

The Titans will have a tough time scoring, as will the Jets. I could see NY winning a close one 13-10
    Phil Rivers is THE only QB with more turnovers in the past 4 seasons than Mark Sanchez.
    When he is "on", there is no question in my mind that Rivers is the better QB.
    Both teams have strong defense......should be really fun to watch.
    These 2 have had some memorable games lately.