Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Patriots, the Texans.... and Mark Sanchez.

The Patriots, the Texans.... and Mark Sanchez.

So last night, like a lot of American football fans, I tuned in to Monday Night Football expecting to see something of an AFC heavyweight fight. Sports journalists were billing the contest as a sort of changing of the guard, where the almighty Texans, the most balanced team in the league, 11-1, the sure AFC representatives in the Superbowl, were going to officially take their throne as the lords of the AFC by unseating its former king.

Instead I just watched Tom Brady nonchalantly pull down his pants and take a giant dump on all of it.

I mean, I try to keep my language classy but I don't know how else to describe it. Everything ESPN and the NFL Network have said, and all the AFC dialogue that's been building for like two months now surrounding the Texans new spot in the AFC... yeah.... Tom Brady just took a giant crap on all of it.

42-14 with 7 of that 14 coming after NE pulled all its starters in super-garbage time. The reputation of the Texans is completely gone, poof, just like that. Tomorrow it'll be all about "Who the hell can stop the Patriots?"

So what does this have to do with Mark Sanchez?

Look, there's only one Tom Brady and I understand he's not coming here, but we see him twice a year. We see other quarterbacks. We WATCH football (or do you?).

You know what...

Forget Tom Brady, I don't even know how anyone can watch Tony Romo, or even Jay Cutler, or Russell Wilson, or Alex Smith, or really ANYONE else in the National Football League and then with a straight face say "Mark Sanchez is our man. I'm not ready to give up on Mark Sanchez, blah blah blah blah blah."

To me it's like another language that translates into English as "I want my Jets to really, really suck forever, and I love misery and wanting to put a fist through my television every weekend."

People have asked "Are you ready to give up on Sanchez?" "Do we need to bench Sanchez?" "Should we start him? Or him?"

Let me rephrase the question: HOW THE HELL CAN YOU WATCH ANOTHER QUARTERBACK IN THE NFL AND THEN SAY MARK SANCHEZ IS YOUR MAN?

When was the last time you saw another quarterback run into his own players ass and fumble the ball? I mean what the hell is wrong with Sanchez supporters? Is this like some disease or something?

If San Fransisco lets Alex Smith go we better damn well throw an offer in his direction because I can't take another season of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    So last night, like a lot of American football fans, I tuned in to Monday Night Football expecting to see something of an AFC heavyweight fight. Sports journalists were billing the contest as a sort of changing of the guard, where the almighty Texans, the most balanced team in the league, 11-1, the sure AFC representatives in the Superbowl, were going to officially take their throne as the lords of the AFC by unseating its former king.

Instead I just watched Tom Brady nonchalantly pull down his pants and take a giant dump on all of it.

I mean, I try to keep my language classy but I don't know how else to describe it. Everything ESPN and the NFL Network have said, and all the AFC dialogue that's been building for like two months now surrounding the Texans new spot in the AFC... yeah.... Tom Brady just took a giant crap on all of it.

42-14 with 7 of that 14 coming after NE pulled all its starters in super-garbage time. The reputation of the Texans is completely gone, poof, just like that. Tomorrow it'll be all about "Who the hell can stop the Patriots?"

So what does this have to do with Mark Sanchez?

Look, there's only one Tom Brady and I understand he's not coming here, but we see him twice a year. We see other quarterbacks. We WATCH football (or do you?).

You know what...

Forget Tom Brady, I don't even know how anyone can watch Tony Romo, or even Jay Cutler, or Russell Wilson, or Alex Smith, or really ANYONE else in the National Football League and then with a straight face say "Mark Sanchez is our man. I'm not ready to give up on Mark Sanchez, blah blah blah blah blah."

To me it's like another language that translates into English as "I want my Jets to really, really suck forever, and I love misery and wanting to put a fist through my television every weekend."

People have asked "Are you ready to give up on Sanchez?" "Do we need to bench Sanchez?" "Should we start him? Or him?"

Let me rephrase the question: HOW THE HELL CAN YOU WATCH ANOTHER QUARTERBACK IN THE NFL AND THEN SAY MARK SANCHEZ IS YOUR MAN?

When was the last time you saw another quarterback run into his own players ass and fumble the ball? I mean what the hell is wrong with Sanchez supporters? Is this like some disease or something?

If San Fransisco lets Alex Smith go we better damn well throw an offer in his direction because I can't take another season of this.
    You couldn't be reading the board much, right? You do realize you are preaching to the choir?

Every Jets fan, except for a few delusional weirdos like Jordy and Ray Ray, think that Sanchez sucks. It's common knowledge.

For my money, something will definitely be done about Sanchez during the offseason. There's way too much public pressure on the Jets right now for the team to simply ignore it's most glaring weakness.

Even if Sanchez can manage to stick with the team due to his contract situation, he surely will not be starting. They'll bring in a veteran QB that will anihilate Sanchez in an open QB competition in training camp.

I honestly don't get why anyone would think Smith is actually an upgrade. He is very comparable to Cassell. Seriously compare their career stats it is scary. I wouldn't want either on this team. The "good" years they have are the direct result of OCs and coaches that can limit what they do. Haley and Greg Roman are much better at steering a QB then anyone we have had calling the plays on O.

I was out of town for a month so I missed it but before there were still a lot of supporters. Glad to hear public opinion has started to change.

If San Fran keeps whats-his-face I really think Alex Smith would be decent here if we could get him. What i'd really like is Romo but I don't know when his contract ends and doubt Jerry will let him go even if the Cowgirls miss the play offs.

Anyway, ya, Sanchez sucks

Smith is pretty accurate on short to mid range passes and he's got a decent football IQ. I've seen him make some nice reads. I think he would make a good Jet if nobody better is available.

Sure beats this:

Did anyone hear JJ Watt's number called last night? I sure didn;t.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I was out of town for a month so I missed it but before there were still a lot of supporters. Glad to hear public opinion has started to change.

If San Fran keeps whats-his-face I really think Alex Smith would be decent here if we could get him. What i'd really like is Romo but I don't know when his contract ends and doubt Jerry will let him go even if the Cowgirls miss the play offs.

Anyway, ya, Sanchez sucks
    I don't think Romo will be a Cowboy next year. The fact that they actually brought in Orton and paid him good money really makes me think the writing is on the wall for him in Dallas. I have been predicting him as our QB for next year quite some time now. The biggest issue is how do we get him? Do we actually make anther Farve like deal and give up 2 high end picks? Then sign the 33 year old to a 5-6 year 100 mil deal? I don't even want him but it seems like the kind of move this team does. We need to draft our next QB in this draft IMO. This is not a bad QB draft and we can't really afford to pay anther 12-20 mil QB contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I don't think Romo will be a Cowboy next year. The fact that they actually brought in Orton and paid him good money really makes me think the writing is on the wall for him in Dallas. I have been predicting him as our QB for next year quite some time now. The biggest issue is how do we get him? Do we actually make anther Farve like deal and give up 2 high end picks? Then sign the 33 year old to a 5-6 year 100 mil deal? I don't even want him but it seems like the kind of move this team does. We need to draft our next QB in this draft IMO. This is not a bad QB draft and we can't really afford to pay anther 12-20 mil QB contract.
    Tony Romo? The choker? No way...

The fact is when the Pats selected Brady in the 6th round they had no idea he would turn into a HOF quarterback, he was just another of the multiple picks they always seem to have, the majority of which don't work out. But here's the key... THEY DIDN'T GO LOOKING FOR THE ANSWER "OUT THERE SOMEWHERE", THEY DEVELOPED THE TALENT THEY ALREADY HAD. The Jets never seem to do this, they are always looking for the answer someplace else. They never develop what they have, because that's too hard and requires actual coaching to accomplish.

Now let's talk about McElroy... You have this kid already. Why not spend some time seeing what you have in him? Give the kid a chance and build a powerful line in front of him like the Patriots did with Brady. The Jets could have done this with Clemens, who was no worse than Sanchez and might actually have been better in hindsight. But the Jets never want to do the hard work... They just want to find the immediate answer someplace else and plug it in and hope it works. Well not this time, let's not make the same mistake again, let's work with what we have here already. Give the kid McElroy a chance. Give him the tools he needs to work with. Give him the WR's and TE's and RB's and O-line he needs to succeed. You can't just throw a free agent QB into this situation and think it's going to turn the world around on the field. This is going to require coaching and hard work, NOT GIMMICKS!

Veteran
    We can't pay big money to TWO QB's. Just draft a QB, cut Tebow and bench Sanchez in favor of G-Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    We can't pay big money to TWO QB's. Just draft a QB, cut Tebow and bench Sanchez in favor of G-Mac.
    +1
    Not for nothing, but GMac's career passer rating is over 100, shouldn't we give him a chance to prove he is not the answer at QB?

Veteran
    I guess with the addition of Alex Smith next year, everyone wants to continue with the 12/19 for 110 yards, and ground and pound. Sounds good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sanchez>>>>>seven or eight year failure Alex Smith

What's next here at JI?

Sign that beast Matt Leinart????

Here's what the Jets should actually do

Advise Sanchez and McElroy that this offseason will be a legitimate fair competition between them to determine the starter in 2013

Either trade Teblow to Mr Khan for any draft pick....conditional seventh is fine....or cut him the day after the last game....He has to GO.

Draft a developmental QB in the mid rounds and make him the 3

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    No to Alex Smith. We need a real QB, not another game regional supervisor.

the jets problems are at qb but it's hard to say that brady is the only reason why the patsies have been successful. sure brady does do the job at qb but it's more of the bellichicken getting his team ready to play each week. he's found the formula to keep his clowns motivated week after week, something that only a few teams are capable of. it's not like the patsies have a lot of talent either. welker, gronkowski, brady may be the most talented players on that team. the rest are clearly second tier but they play together very well. that's why they can neutralize jj watts and whoever else is being thrown at them. and since this is supposed to be about the jets, let's not forget the jets have actually done pretty well against them in spite of the thanksgiving loss. in each of rex's 4 seasons the jets have played at least half of the games that could have gone either way.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the jets problems are at qb but it's hard to say that brady is the only reason why the patsies have been successful. sure brady does do the job at qb but it's more of the bellichicken getting his team ready to play each week. he's found the formula to keep his clowns motivated week after week, something that only a few teams are capable of. it's not like the patsies have a lot of talent either. welker, gronkowski, brady may be the most talented players on that team. the rest are clearly second tier but they play together very well. that's why they can neutralize jj watts and whoever else is being thrown at them. and since this is supposed to be about the jets, let's not forget the jets have actually done pretty well against them in spite of the thanksgiving loss. in each of rex's 4 seasons the jets have played at least half of the games that could have gone either way.
    Brady isnt the only reason, but he is BY FAR the main reason.

His ability to command the offense is amazing to watch (even as much as I hate the pats). Recognizing fronts, audibling, rushing to the line/rushing the snap when there is an advantage, it really is an unbelievable display of QB play.

The original poster has an excellent point though. I watched russel wilson yesterday and not so much his ability, but the fact that his team put hiim in position to succeed. They called plays that got him moving in the pocket. Used misdirection and play fakes to get seperation down the field. Sanchez is really so ineffective, it sux being a jet fan these days

All League
    ImO, signing a retread QB isn't the answer. Lets start by evaluating the three guys we have. If Tebow is never going to get a shot at QB, the release him and admit the team didnt think the acquisition through and then mishandled him tremendously.

Next, have Sanchez battle McElroy with BOTH QBs getting an equal opportu ity to win the job.

Then I draft Manuel in the second AND Renfree in the 7th. So we end up putting Renfree on IR during the last week of preseason and go into the season with McElroy, Sanchez, and Manuel for 2013.

Then McElroy, Manuel, and Renfree in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Sanchez>>>>>seven or eight year failure Alex Smith

What's next here at JI?

Sign that beast Matt Leinart????

Here's what the Jets should actually do

Advise Sanchez and McElroy that this offseason will be a legitimate fair competition between them to determine the starter in 2013

Either trade Teblow to Mr Khan for any draft pick....conditional seventh is fine....or cut him the day after the last game....He has to GO.

Draft a developmental QB in the mid rounds and make him the 3

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree, this would be my plan too as far as the QB situation.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Tony Romo? The choker? No way...

The fact is when the Pats selected Brady in the 6th round they had no idea he would turn into a HOF quarterback, he was just another of the multiple picks they always seem to have, the majority of which don't work out. But here's the key... THEY DIDN'T GO LOOKING FOR THE ANSWER "OUT THERE SOMEWHERE", THEY DEVELOPED THE TALENT THEY ALREADY HAD. The Jets never seem to do this, they are always looking for the answer someplace else. They never develop what they have, because that's too hard and requires actual coaching to accomplish.

Now let's talk about McElroy... You have this kid already. Why not spend some time seeing what you have in him? Give the kid a chance and build a powerful line in front of him like the Patriots did with Brady. The Jets could have done this with Clemens, who was no worse than Sanchez and might actually have been better in hindsight. But the Jets never want to do the hard work... They just want to find the immediate answer someplace else and plug it in and hope it works. Well not this time, let's not make the same mistake again, let's work with what we have here already. Give the kid McElroy a chance. Give him the tools he needs to work with. Give him the WR's and TE's and RB's and O-line he needs to succeed. You can't just throw a free agent QB into this situation and think it's going to turn the world around on the field. This is going to require coaching and hard work, NOT GIMMICKS!
    I agree with you. I believe McElroy would beat out Sanchez for the starting job in a fair open competition. I don't know if he will be a super star, none of us will know until he gets a fair shot. I do believe in what Parcell's believed when it came to QB stats. Does he get into the end zone and win games. Under those criteria Mc Elroy should be a great QB. His stat: Only lost three games from 13 years old thru college. High School Championship, and National Championship with Alabama. I also believe if the Jets let him get away they will be very sorry.

Jets Insider VIP
    Brady isnt the only reason, but he is BY FAR the main reason.
    Without brady, they still won 11 games and finished ahead of us in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I agree with you. I believe McElroy would beat out Sanchez for the starting job in a fair open competition. I don't know if he will be a super star, none of us will know until he gets a fair shot. I do believe in what Parcell's believed when it came to QB stats. Does he get into the end zone and win games. Under those criteria Mc Elroy should be a great QB. His stat: Only lost three games from 13 years old thru college. High School Championship, and National Championship with Alabama. I also believe if the Jets let him get away they will be very sorry.
    It is extremely hard for someone like mcelroy to beat out sanchez in practice and the preseason.

The opportunity to see what mcelroy really has, was dropped by starting sanchez vs jacksonville last week.

If we really were going to "give sanchez a last chance" then we would have thrown more then we did sunday. There is no doubt we woudl have had the same outcome with mcelroy behind center, minus the fumble sanchez had.

Furthermore, if we bring in a veteran backup for 2013, it will further stunt mcelroys development and keep him from really ever seeing the field.

No one knows what mcelroy is or isnt, and all the arm strength questions really are meaningless unless anyone actually saw him in an NFL game, unfortunatlely the opportunity for us to ever see that is virtually zero at this point.

We need to use a top pick (3rd round or above) in the 2013 or 2014 draft on a QB and hope that players pans out, there really is no other solution.