Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the main reason the Jets are winning games?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the main reason the Jets are winning games?

It is well-documented on this board that this team apparently lacks football minds in the front office, football brains on the sideline and good football players on the field. It seems as if everyone thinks a house cleaning is in order.

So how is it possible the Jets are actually closing in on .500, perhaps even better? What is the #1 reason the Jets, with all these apparent problems, are winning games? I understand 6-7 isn't exactly successful, but based on what most people -- on this board, on TV/radio, experts, etc. -- think of them, the Jets should have no more than 2 wins. So how do they have 6 Ws?

I think the talent level is below average in the league, but the Jets do have some players, particularly on the O Line and defense. And I actually think the Jets are coached better than most of us believe and they play hard for Rex -- usually.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    It is well-documented on this board that this team apparently lacks football minds in the front office, football brains on the sideline and good football players on the field. It seems as if everyone thinks a house cleaning is in order.

So how is it possible the Jets are actually closing in on .500, perhaps even better? What is the #1 reason the Jets, with all these apparent problems, are winning games? I understand 6-7 isn't exactly successful, but based on what most people -- on this board, on TV/radio, experts, etc. -- think of them, the Jets should have no more than 2 wins. So how do they have 6 Ws?

I think the talent level is below average in the league, but the Jets do have some players, particularly on the O Line and defense. And I actually think the Jets are coached better than most of us believe and they play hard for Rex -- usually.

Because our defense, online,running game can dominate horrible teams our QB still sux though

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    Because our defense, online,running game can dominate horrible teams our QB still sux though
    But our QB could be way way way worse if god forbid something happened in Jax and we had to put our horrible back-up Teblow on the field

Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell. Ryan Lindley or Tyler Palko are ALL better NFL quarterbacks than that guy.

Maybe the only recent QB worse was Matt Leinart

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    But our QB could be way way way worse if god forbid something happened in Jax and we had to put our horrible back-up Teblow on the field

Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell. Ryan Lindley or Tyler Palko are ALL better NFL quarterbacks than that guy.

They are all better than suckchez also you really can't get much worse than suckchez

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the poor teams we won against. 'nuff said.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This, with the exception of our QB coach who really really sux

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Rex is a GREAT defensive coach. Unless the defense is just overwhelmed by the talent on the other side of the ball, they're stout.

2) We have played a number of truly terrible teams this year. A lot of people on here think we're a terrible team, but we're not. We're below-average. Our schedule is filled with teams that are either great, very good, or terrible. We don't play any other average to below-average teams, except for the Dolphins and Chargers.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    Look at the poor teams we won against. 'nuff said.
    Look at the poor teams we BARELY won against. 'nuff said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anyone is claiming we're the worst team in the league. We're not - but being average is no longer acceptable.

I would say the coaching has been adequate, as well as the talent but the QB play is horendous as well as many of the personell decision.

Tebow, Holmes' big contract, Sanchez extension, overpaying Harris, not keeping the Oline elite, no RB - this list goes on.

That has to be on the GM and HC as well. They have not adressed the most obvious flaws.

Heck, Hunter would still be the starting RT had it not been for the fans incesant booing in the pre-season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNCCFP View Post
    Look at the poor teams we BARELY won against. 'nuff said.
    True dat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Revis is not nearly as valuable as people make him out to be. I believe we are #2 against the pass. Imagine if we just had an average pass rusher.

2. We couldn't pass the ball with him so the loss of Holmes is minimized.

3. Buffalo - terrible team. Miami - gift. Colts - quality win, dominant rushing performance. Rams - LOL. Cards - played without a QB, we beat them by 1, following week they lose by 58. Jags - their name says it all.

JB made an excellent point by pointing out that there is very little middle ground in our schedule.

Before the brigade rushes in allow me to say a win is a win and nobody throws away wins in the NFL and you can only play who is on your schedule, etc.

As in 2009 and 2010 if we could get average QB play we could have been looking at 12 wins with this schedule. The offense, more specifically the QB, has killed us. And this offense was built by this regime and gas been neglected. So if we miss the playoffs by one game, it will be a shame b.c a lot of people saw our struggles on offense coming.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We Just Barely beat a 2-10 team, last week we barely won. Please do not bost because we are not good, yes "D" is playing well but we are not playing teams that we should be comparing our selves to. Hands down, I feel if we make it to the playoffs, we go no where, and that sucks. I am sorry for being negitive, it is just reality.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

are you kidding? teams we have beaten this year...

the bills
    the dolphins
    the colts
    the rams
    the cards
    the jags

the cards and the jags in particular are horrible...you know the 2 teams we barely beat.

and its not like we lost close games to the likes of the patriots and san fran, we got destroyed...not to mention getting destroyed by the awful dolphins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teams we have beaten this year are a combined 31-46-1.

Teams we have lost to this year are a combined 60-30.

Teams we are yet to play are a combined 14-25.

We've only beaten one team that currently has a winning record (Indy); on the flip side we have only lost to one team with a losing record (Mia). Par for the course for the Jets, sadly.

We are winning many of our games by a small margin (+1 vs Arizona, +3 vs. Miami, +7 vs Jax) and losing many of our games by ridiculous margins (34 vs SF, 21 vs Miami, 30 vs NE, 21 vs Seattle).

We are what we are - not amongst the worst teams out there, but nowhere near the elite teams that will fight it out for the Superbowl. Somewhere in the middle.

That might not be so bad if you thought the team was headed in an upwards direction ... sadly, at the moment, I feel we are doing the opposite. We still have some quality pieces, but these are outweighed by too many pieces that are no longer quality (or never were) that we cannot easily upgrade. The QB position is the greatest of these, and we appear to be locked in to the guy who is in possibly the biggest slump on the team. The caoches no longer trust him to throw the ball - they'd rather punt and let the D try to close out a game.

The only way I see that we get to move upwards next year and reverse the current trend is to somehow "reach" Sanchez in the offseason and restore his confidence, find some strengths in his play and exploit them in our game planning & execution next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The main reason we are winning right now is simple ... In order to ensure a mediocre 1st round draft position.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    The main reason we are winning right now is simple ... In order to ensure a mediocre 1st round draft position.
    Jets do have a knack for this

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Running the football and defense. The games we won (Buffalo, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Arizona and Jacksonville) were all games where the running game was effective and the defense was able to pin their ears back and get after the passer. (Miami was a pure luck given game, thank you Philbin/Carpenter)

Once a team stops our ground game, we're screwed.

We're the best, worst team in the league, floating in mediocrity.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    1) Rex is a GREAT defensive coach. Unless the defense is just overwhelmed by the talent on the other side of the ball, they're stout.
    That's where a helpful O and ST's are supposed to come in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

This is just an insane comment. Now I don't like tebow, but he did take his team to the playoffs, and beat the steelers. Not a question in my mind I would take tebow over any of those guys.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    All that matters is who is here, who will remain and who will lead his O, and that must be answered asap because if it isn't Sanchez we have a big problem.