Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the main reason the Jets are winning games?

Veteran
    When you only field half a quality team this is what happens. I work with Universitiesm, so let me "grade" them

Components:

Defense: Quality, not elite, but quality Grade:B
    Special Teams, Good, not great: Grade B-
    Passing game: Bad Grade D
    Running Game: meh: Grade C-

Average of all 4 parts: C to C- Translates to on a 16 game season.....

6 to 8 wins.... right where the Jets are on track for. No surprises

New York Jets ‏@nyjets
    The Jets have rushed for more than 115 yards in four consecutive games.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    New York Jets ‏@nyjets
    The Jets have rushed for more than 115 yards in four consecutive games.
    Total of 115 yards in 4 games???? feels like it at times.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    1. Revis is not nearly as valuable as people make him out to be. I believe we are #2 against the pass. Imagine if we just had an average pass rusher.

That's because we're like 28th against the run. If you can run, you do. Revis is as valuable as people make him out to be. How did we do against the Pats. Like it or not the Superbowl for us goes through New England.

2. We couldn't pass the ball with him so the loss of Holmes is minimized.

If we can't run the ball, and can't protect the QB it's difficult to pass. So in a sense you're right, though it's not just Sanchez. Also it would be nice when we do throw to have someone who can hold on to the ball.

3. Buffalo - terrible team. Miami - gift. Colts - quality win, dominant rushing performance. Rams - LOL. Cards - played without a QB, we beat them by 1, following week they lose by 58. Jags - their name says it all.

Agreed.

JB made an excellent point by pointing out that there is very little middle ground in our schedule.

Agreed.

Before the brigade rushes in allow me to say a win is a win and nobody throws away wins in the NFL and you can only play who is on your schedule, etc.

As in 2009 and 2010 if we could get average QB play we could have been looking at 12 wins with this schedule. The offense, more specifically the QB, has killed us. And this offense was built by this regime and has been neglected. So if we miss the playoffs by one game, it will be a shame b.c a lot of people saw our struggles on offense coming.

I would add the 28th defense against the run has hurt us too, besides that you're right on.

Opponents are folding to get better draft picks now that the top slots are reasonably priced. With each extra Jet win, a future of mediocrity becomes more secure. Yippie....we'll be picking in the teens ....watch out league...we're coming

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Opponents are folding to get better draft picks now that the top slots are reasonably priced. With each extra Jet win, a future of mediocrity becomes more secure. Yippie....we'll be picking in the teens ....watch out league...we're coming
    yeah because resent history shows that teams that pick in the top ten every other year like Cleveland, Detroit, Buff, Miami, Cleveland, SL, KC, Oakland, Zona are dominating right now. Seriously other then SF who has like 10 top ten pick on their team not many escape the black whole of loosing with picks. Try telling TB sucking for picks helps. lol What one player is going to FIX KC right now?

Only squeaking by against wretched teams (and looking badly while doing it) pretty much sums up our season.

That's pretty sad given:

1) the team is only two years removed from playing for the AFC Championship

2) expectations for this season were sky high by the media & fans (and fueled by Rex's big mouth)

3) the realization this might be the new normal with the bad contracts and salary cap hell that will occur next season

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed....we have not beaten a good tem except the Colts.
    Colts haven't beaten a team with a winning record all season aside from the emotional game against The Pack

They lost to Jax

But, they're a good team

I wouldnt call it winning games as much as its the other teams sucking far more than we do.

We basically just stumble onto wins.

I really dislike you for this question...
    Just look at the record of the teams we're facing .
    Everything will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    yeah because resent history shows that teams that pick in the top ten every other year like Cleveland, Detroit, Buff, Miami, Cleveland, SL, KC, Oakland, Zona are dominating right now. Seriously other then SF who has like 10 top ten pick on their team not many escape the black whole of loosing with picks. Try telling TB sucking for picks helps. lol What one player is going to FIX KC right now?
    The impact of the rookie wage scale will show itself in 2 years ... Having 3 top 5 picks for a fraction of the cost of one in the past will improve teams like the browns faster than ever before.

Top draft picks are extremely valuable because they cost a team so much less now.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Colts haven't beaten a team with a winning record all season aside from the emotional game against The Pack

They lost to Jax

But, they're a good team
    thank you ... everyone keeps saying schedule and while the Jets faced some sht teams along the way, every team has. The top teams in the league have 2-3 quality wins at the best. The rest, beating the Dolphins, Bills, Rams, Cards of the league.

And if those teams are so bad, how are they all sitting at 5-6 wins?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    thank you ... everyone keeps saying schedule and while the Jets faced some sht teams along the way, every team has. The top teams in the league have 2-3 quality wins at the best. The rest, beating the Dolphins, Bills, Rams, Cards of the league.

And if those teams are so bad, how are they all sitting at 5-6 wins?
    Pfffft ... The Pats just shellacked the pants of the Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Pfffft ... The Pats just shellacked the pants of the Texans.
    yeah, a very nice quality win. the Pats also beat Denver and the Colts. Like I said, the top teams have 2-3 quality wins, but the rest of their schedule? Looks like the Jets. They also beat Jets x2, Bills x2, the Rams, Titans and Dolphins. And the Pats actually lost two of their tougher games to Baltimore and Seattle on the road, and the Cards at the time.

the Jets line up Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Kerley and Schilens/Gates/Gilyard and usually Cumberland/Reuland as their offensive skill players. The talent is obviously not there. And for that group to contribute (defense has obviously been better) to a 6-7 season so far is pretty remarkable, regardless of who is on the schedule. it's not just the kind schedule (though through the first 11 games, the Jets had the toughest schedule in the league) that's got the Jets to 6 wins.

Practice Squad
    It is well-documented on this board that this team apparently lacks football minds in the front office, football brains on the sideline and good football players on the field. It seems as if everyone thinks a house cleaning is in order.

So how is it possible the Jets are actually closing in on .500, perhaps even better? What is the #1 reason the Jets, with all these apparent problems, are winning games? I understand 6-7 isn't exactly successful, but based on what most people -- on this board, on TV/radio, experts, etc. -- think of them, the Jets should have no more than 2 wins. So how do they have 6 Ws?

I think the talent level is below average in the league, but the Jets do have some players, particularly on the O Line and defense. And I actually think the Jets are coached better than most of us believe and they play hard for Rex -- usually.
    I think the main reason is that the standard of opposition has been very poor over the past two weeks.
    Last edited by dublinjetsfan; 12-12-2012 at 06:52 AM. Reason: bad grammer

It is well-documented on this board that this team apparently lacks football minds in the front office, football brains on the sideline and good football players on the field. It seems as if everyone thinks a house cleaning is in order.

So how is it possible the Jets are actually closing in on .500, perhaps even better? What is the #1 reason the Jets, with all these apparent problems, are winning games? I understand 6-7 isn't exactly successful, but based on what most people -- on this board, on TV/radio, experts, etc. -- think of them, the Jets should have no more than 2 wins. So how do they have 6 Ws?

I think the talent level is below average in the league, but the Jets do have some players, particularly on the O Line and defense. And I actually think the Jets are coached better than most of us believe and they play hard for Rex -- usually.

This is why.

This team is built on this.

me·di·oc·ri·ty (md-kr-t)
    n. pl. me·di·oc·ri·ties
    1. The state or quality of being mediocre.
    2. Mediocre ability, achievement, or performance.
    3. One that displays mediocre qualities.

me·di·o·cre (md-kr)
    adj.
    Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary. See Synonyms at average.

Has been for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Hey you still have to pick right. just that you are more likely to get an impact player the closer to the top you go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

They lost to Jax

But, they're a good team
    The Colts are 9-4 but not a good team.

What does that make the 6-7 Jets?

The house cleaning that some want is not predicated on wins and loses against poor teams. It is a function of Rex not developing young b/u players into starters (besides Kerley) in 4 years and game day management and locker room leadership. They want Tanny gone because there is a questions
    on who influenced the decisions on Revis, Mangold, Harris, Dbrick, is no longer
    there and his personnel moves left the jets 8-8 for "two" seasons in a row and no money to fill glaring weaknesses. And a history of drafting less than stellar players in the first three rounds or players with enough upside to develop.

There are questions why Tebow was brought in, Why did he let 17 contributing players become FA in one year, Why did he cave into Revis and give him a 2 year extension with a no tag, and structure it so that even if he leaves as a FA the jets take a 6mill cap hit. Why the public pursuit of Manning instead of a quiet call to Archie. Same with Aso.

It sounds like you believe that getting to 8-8 with a team of which almost 1/2 of which are FA this year, and with little cap money seem like a good
    business model.