Thread: Yankees to drop StubHub, nearing deal with Ticketmaster

Yankees to drop StubHub, nearing deal with Ticketmaster

Apparantly the Yankees don't like the way the market has spoken. Bottom line, their tickets are overpriced. The Stub Hub market doesn't lie.

Yankees to drop StubHub, nearing deal with Ticketmaster
    Originally published: December 10, 2012 9:06 PM
    Updated: December 10, 2012 10:53 PM
    By STEVEN MARCUS steven.marcus@newsday.com

Yankees The Yankees are opting out of a five-year renewal between MLB and StubHub, an online service for buying and selling tickets, a person familiar with the development said Monday. The Angels and Cubs also will not participate, StubHub said.

The Yankees are completing a deal with Ticketmaster that will, the source said, "be much more fan-friendly, have less fees and more accessibility." Ticketmaster spokeswoman Jacqueline Peterson declined comment.

The Yankees believe the prices of their tickets on StubHub often are too far below the printed face value.
    StubHub spokesman Glen Lehrman said: "People are entitled to their opinion in terms of what they want to see the market price of their tickets. We can't control what the market is for Yankees tickets. We're a marketplace. People can list them for whatever they want."

Lehrman said the Yankees' departure will have a "pretty negligible" effect on the company's business and will not significantly affect the fans' access to reduced-price tickets. Private sellers still will be able to sell their Yankees tickets on StubHub.

"All it means is that we won't have an electronic integration with the Yankees," Lehrman said. "As part of our deal with Major League Baseball, it essentially allowed a [team] to type in their bar code directly into the StubHub system and it would populate a ticket information so the buyer could instantly download their ticket. [Now] the person who is selling the ticket will either FedEx it or upload an electronic file that the person can download."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ster-1.4316798

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Everybody's tickets are overpriced. Nothing new here. Move along...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Ticketmaster is such a pain in the ass. It's impossible to simply just browse for tickets for a given event. You have to sign in, you have to decipher jumbled letters and input them properly, then you have a time limit to decide if you want to buy the tickets. No chance to simply browse and compare. Horrible web presence.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Apparantly the Yankees don't like the way the market has spoken. Bottom line, their tickets are overpriced. The Stub Hub market doesn't lie.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ster-1.4316798
    First Anti-Yankee thing I can remember you saying that I totally agree with.

Jets Insider VIP
    ticketmaster doesn't allow a seller to put up an asking price below face value

look for Ebay or Craigslist to boom as the place to buy overpriced tickets to Pinstripers-Royals classic battles for 10 cents on the dollar

Ticketmaster just kills you with fees....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    ticketmaster doesn't allow a seller to put up an asking price below face value

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Ticketmaster just kills you with fees....
    End result; Less people coming to Yankee games... and less people buying 11 dollar beers.

The Yankees are delusional if they think killing the messenger will help fill seats.

STH's will simply bow out rather than renew, because even if they got face for the tix, now they have to physically mail them. No more day of game sales etc. no?

Cant defend the Yanks on this one.

-

I've been going to less and less games over the last few years, now I don't see why I'd bother go at all unless tickets fell in my lap.

This news, plus the way the team is now being operated (frugal).. I wonder if the Steinbrenner boys are ready for the backlash that is likely coming. Especially if team performance takes a hit like I'm expecting.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    End result; Less people coming to Yankee games... and less people buying 11 dollar beers.

The Yankees are delusional if they think killing the messenger will help fill seats.

STH's will simply bow out rather than renew, because even if they got face for the tix, now they have to physically mail them. No more day of game sales etc. no?

Cant defend the Yanks on this one.

-
    Stupid.

SO much money is made away from the ticket prices. Parking, food, couple beers. Much better to lower prices and get people into the games. I am not liking how the Yankees are being run over the last few years, really pushing fans away.

Again, I live in Texas, but look at how they treat their fans. Dollar hot dog nights. Free fireworks every Friday night. Tons of parking for $20. You can bring in your own food and drinks, just no alcohal. You can bring in a mini cooler if it will fit under your seat.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    I've been going to less and less games over the last few years, now I don't see why I'd bother go at all unless tickets fell in my lap.

This news, plus the way the team is now being operated (frugal).. I wonder if the Steinbrenner boys are ready for the backlash that is likely coming. Especially if team performance takes a hit like I'm expecting.
    86 wins at best this year. Toronto will leapfrog them, Rays will be right there, all the Yankees are is older.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Stupid.

SO much money is made away from the ticket prices. Parking, food, couple beers. Much better to lower prices and get people into the games. I am not liking how the Yankees are being run over the last few years, really pushing fans away.

Again, I live in Texas, but look at how they treat their fans. Dollar hot dog nights. Free fireworks every Friday night. Tons of parking for $20. You can bring in your own food and drinks, just no alcohal. You can bring in a mini cooler if it will fit under your seat.
    Pretty sure you can bring in your own food at Yankee Stadium. I've seen a family have chips, sodas, and sandwiches in one of those soft coolers in the bleachers.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 12-11-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post

Same here, and I would only get my tix on STUBHUB too, take off work on a nice summer day get 350 seats for 100 bucks and enjoy. Yanks are kidding themselves if they think anyone will pay face for some of these seats.

Agree with Paulie to Ticketmaster's site blows for ordering tix as well. Stubhub is much easier to navigate and use.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Same here, and I would only get my tix on STUBHUB too, take off work on a nice summer day get 350 seats for 100 bucks and enjoy. Yanks are kidding themselves if they think anyone will pay face for some of these seats.

Agree with Paulie to Ticketmaster's site blows for ordering tix as well. Stubhub is much easier to navigate and use.
    See, there it is. I have 1 kid who loves going to games, and another that is 2 years away. I am not spending $1000 to go to a freaking baseball game. There is no way. I know it's NY vs Arlington, but I can get upper deck here with good views for $19 to see the Yankees vs. Rangers. I can park for $20, bring in my own water, by the kids all the food they want, have a great time, and I'm out the door for $150 for the night. I have no problems doing that 2-3 times a year, but I'm not forking out $350 a ticket, $50 for parking, and $15 for a hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    See, there it is. I have 1 kid who loves going to games, and another that is 2 years away. I am not spending $1000 to go to a freaking baseball game. There is no way. I know it's NY vs Arlington, but I can get upper deck here with good views for $19 to see the Yankees vs. Rangers. I can park for $20, bring in my own water, by the kids all the food they want, have a great time, and I'm out the door for $150 for the night. I have no problems doing that 2-3 times a year, but I'm not forking out $350 a ticket, $50 for parking, and $15 for a hamburger.
    Yup I usually take my little cousin to at least one game a year and I have bought seats anywhere from $10-100. Seats that cost regularly $55-325.