Thread: Bobby Petrino hired as HC of Western Kentucky

Bobby Petrino hired as HC of Western Kentucky

I did not see this coming at all, I thought he would wait it out and go to a BCS school. I posted a few times saying that he would be a great OC for the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I did not see this coming at all, I thought he would wait it out and go to a BCS school. I posted a few times saying that he would be a great OC for the jets.
    Tony Montana doe.

despite his questionable character (leaving the Falcons the way he did, his interest in young female staffers, etc.), it's a nice grab for WKU. A year or two, improve his image/stock, then bolt for something greener. I'm sure WKU knows this. But for now, good hire

Hall Of Fame
    I thought there would be a BCS school desperate enough as well, he will be back at a major program in year or so.

He can't get into too much trouble at Western Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    He can't get into too much trouble at Western Kentucky.
    Famous last words. But like others have said, he will be there for a year maybe 2 and some big school will be desperate and bring him in.

I think it'll be a long time before he's back in the NFL. It's bad when a player quits on his team... It's practically unheard of for a coach to quit on his team, and to leave a note rather than face the team is cowardly for a man at that level.

As much as fans think that no one respects Rex, Tannenbaum, or the Jets... No NFL player would respect Petrino at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I think it'll be a long time before he's back in the NFL. It's bad when a player quits on his team... It's practically unheard of for a coach to quit on his team, and to leave a note rather than face the team is cowardly for a man at that level.

As much as fans think that no one respects Rex, Tannenbaum, or the Jets... No NFL player would respect Petrino at all.
    It will also be hard for him to find a job at a top level school. The kind of school that is always going to have options.

The president of the school has to sign off on that, and I can definitely see there being some issues there.

Scumbag of a human being. WKU had made strides with their program, they shouldn't have stooped to this level to get a hired gun who will bail on them first chance they get. What kind of message does it send to their student body to hire a coach like Petrino?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

Please, Parcells quit on the pats, and had contact with the jets the week leading up to the SB that they were in. He did not even fly back with the team after the SB!!! and you think what Petrino did was cowardly? BB quit on the jets. For all intents and purposes Mangini quit on the pats. Saban quit on the fins. Fairbanks quit on the pats to go to Colorodo. I am sure I can dig up many more.

This is a league of pros, you do what is best for you. Players don't stay with the team, they go where the money is.

And I know about this no one respects the jets talk. Any team when they publicly do something stupid get criticized. Don't count the local papers who are just trying to sell media. Rex is respected as a DC very much, Tanny is recognized as having a great handle on Salary cap language. And when teams win they get respect. the pats got no respect in 89-92, they did not deserve any.
    Last edited by patman; 12-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Please, Parcells quit on the pats, and had contact with the jets the week leading up to the SB that they were in. He did not even fly back with the team after the SB!!! and you think what Petrino did was cowardly? BB quit on the jets. For all intents and purposes Mangini quit on the pats. Saban quit on the fins. Fairbanks quit on the pats to go to Colorodo. I am sure I can dig up many more.

This is a league of pros, you do what is best for you. Players don't stay with the team, they go where the money is.

BB quit on the Jets because he had another job, and he was never the coach of the Jets. Petrino quit on his team in the middle of a season to drop back to college.

All of the other examples did not happen mid season. I personally think it will be at least 10 years from when he left the NFL (if ever) before Petrino is back in the NFL in any fashion.

Parcells quit for more power with the Jets (after a season was over), BB quit for a organization he felt was more put together (and in retrospect, was correct about) after a season was over.

Petrino left the Falcons mid-season after telling the players in a team-only meeting he wouldn't quit. There is a big difference. Players don't forget and owners don't forget. Frankly, Petrino didn't do enough on the NFL (or college) level to convince anyone he's worth the risk of quitting mid-stream when **** gets bad.

And I know about this no one respects the jets talk. Any team when they publicly do something stupid get criticized. Don't count the local papers who are just trying to sell media. Rex is respected as a DC very much, Tanny is recognized as having a great handle on Salary cap language. And when teams win they get respect. the pats got no respect in 89-92, they did not deserve any.
    That's why I said "fans think", Rex is respected as a DC (and I worry he's destined to be a Wade Phillips, Norv Turner type, great Coordinator, bad HC), Tannenbaum is respected as a cap operator (though I think the reputation is somewhat overrated as it really seems like he totally misread what the cap was going to be like for 2012 - 2014 after the new CBA). The NFL owners/players perception is entirely different than local fan base opinion. Petrino's reputation in the NFL is below garbage. I don't recall a coach who's done nothing getting a chance after quitting mid-season like he did.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 12-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.