Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Cromartie - Just hear me out!

Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    Why do so many people on this board want to trade our GOOD corners???

Trade Wilson out of any of them, jeez.

Wilson is horrible, Revis and Cro have proven to be LOCK DOWN, is no one excited about having Revis and a revamped Cro on the field next season? So many of you just want to suck so bad you'd give away every player that actually does something on this team.

Rant over.
    Because wilson has no trade value and he makes very little money, therefore he would not be a player to trade.

Look, if this was the 2009 team, like when we acquired Cro then having him and revis is probably a good idea. But it is not 2009 and the spread has started to take hold in the NFL.

More importantly we have a LOT of holes on this team and find ourselves with a very difficult contract situation with Revis. We are not a competing team as built now, so if we have the opportunity to:

1. shed salary while at the same time filling the position of the guy we trade (revis coming back from injury)

2. Get a draft pick to fill a hole with a low cap number

3. Avoid tying up $22+ million in one position

Then that is smart roster management

Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    Why do so many people on this board want to trade our GOOD corners???

Trade Wilson out of any of them, jeez.

Wilson is horrible, Revis and Cro have proven to be LOCK DOWN, is no one excited about having Revis and a revamped Cro on the field next season? So many of you just want to suck so bad you'd give away every player that actually does something on this team.

Rant over.
    Wilson is not horrible he'd be starting on a lot of teams. He has done a good job this year. He gets burned once or twice a game like most CBs do. We can't always have 2 of the top 5 CBs in the league. Wilson is a viable starter in this league and isn't making 8-16 mil a year. That is called spending money wisely you don't trade that. Heck I'd consider locking him up long term. It is only his 3rd year and he could still be that lock down guy. How many years did it take Cro to get to where he is today? We can't hold 22+ mil in CBs next year. Revis or Cro has to be traded for value and I agree it should be Cro. I get Revis may leave after the year but worry about that the next year. Saving that 8 mil is a much bigger need then keeping Cro IMO. That could be the difference of signing a FA like Spencer or resigning Thomas. I'll take that long term OLB fix over an expensive insurance policy.

All Pro
    Lmao so let me get this straight y'all want to trade revis and/or Cro because of fear that when they get older they will lose speed and not be good??

Has anybody not seen Champ,Woodson ,Troy Vincent and Mr.iron man himself Darrell Green all play at high levels well into there 30's?

Oh and now Revis is damaged goods really ? Cause the NFL Leading Rusher Tore his ACL less than a year ago.. Looks like he has come back fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Lmao so let me get this straight y'all want to trade revis and/or Cro because of fear that when they get older they will lose speed and not be good??

Has anybody not seen Champ,Woodson ,Troy Vincent and Mr.iron man himself Darrell Green all play at high levels well into there 30's?

Oh and now Revis is damaged goods really ? Cause the NFL Leading Rusher Tore his ACL less than a year ago.. Looks like he has come back fine to me.
    Who said trade Revis? Unless someone gives us a stupid deal I don't see the upside of it. We are not getting a #1+ for him ATM.

Never once did I mention diminishing skills. Furthermore, with surgery now, I think Revis has an excellent chance of coming back and being just as good. He uses strength at the line of scrimmage, and technique more then cro does. Straight line speed for him, while very good, is not his main source of ability.

I am in ther corner for trading cro because he is our most valuable "chip". We can play next season with 2 great corners and holes at Oline, TE and OLB all with the threat of revis leaving for nothing hanging over the teams head.

Or we can free up cap space, move a player who plays a position where we have depth, and acquire a young player who can contribute for a low cap number

Anyone should be on the trade block, but in the NFL trades rarely happen for any reason other than a salary dump. Cromartie will not return proper value.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wilson is not horrible he'd be starting on a lot of teams.

He has done a good job this year. He gets burned once or twice a game like most CBs do.
    He gets burned multiple times per game.

Wilson is a viable starter in this league

Heck I'd consider locking him up long term. It is only his 3rd year and he could still be that lock down guy.

Cro won't demand what Revis demands, and Cro is the better athlete. Cro all day!

Trading revis right now b/c someone's afraid of what he'll ask for next year is simply not smart. His value is at an ALL TIME LOW, and there's been a lot of players who have recovered from worse knee injuries than his, so his upside is still quite high.

If you actually read the original post you'd see it's not that Cro's getting old, it's that locking up 2 great CBs for big money is not a great idea considering all the holes we have to fill.

It's understanding that Cro's value will NEVER BE THIS HIGH AGAIN considering he's coming off a season playing the #1 spot at a VERY high level (a chance he won't get to exhibit again once Revis is back).

It's realizing that we now have a serviceable #2 in Wilson to hold the fort on #2 receivers.

lastly, the fact that we have (for the time being and hopefully in the future) sured up our safety position on this team, and therefore have less of a need for lockdown corners, considering the price they're costing us.

At the time his signing was a great idea, and he's been awesome for us, I'd just say there's no better time to trade him for big value right now.

To the posters who actually read my post and responded (positively or negatively) with something of actual substance, thanks I appreciate the discussion, to the people who wanted a dump bc they were afraid I was some "sky is falling" jet fan or whatever they were worried about, sorry that you spent half a minute reading the title of my post and chiming in to dump it lol, I will never know how to make you happy....

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Cro won't demand what Revis demands, and Cro is the better athlete. Cro all day!
    First point taken, second one is a bit suspect but I can respect it, but the thing is, when both are healthy, who is the better CB?

To me, Revis does what no one else on the planet can do. That kind of commodity, the leadership on defense, the sure as sh!t tackling, it's something that doesn't really ever come around.

My thing is, if we traded Revis for a 1st, there's not even close to a guarantee that we will get anyone NEAR the talent level of Revis, or even the same # pick we picked Revis at....while we could sell cro VERY high right now.

I would much sooner entertain a trade for Revis than Cro at this point. Given the future salary demands, overall state of our roster and the cap. You cannot tie up that much dough in a CB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3642564

Read this.

Then realize that trades happen rarely unless they involve pure draft picks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Trading revis right now b/c someone's afraid of what he'll ask for next year is simply not smart. His value is at an ALL TIME LOW, and there's been a lot of players who have recovered from worse knee injuries than his, so his upside is still quite high.

If you actually read the original post you'd see it's not that Cro's getting old, it's that locking up 2 great CBs for big money is not a great idea considering all the holes we have to fill.

It's understanding that Cro's value will NEVER BE THIS HIGH AGAIN considering he's coming off a season playing the #1 spot at a VERY high level (a chance he won't get to exhibit again once Revis is back).

It's realizing that we now have a serviceable #2 in Wilson to hold the fort on #2 receivers.

lastly, the fact that we have (for the time being and hopefully in the future) sured up our safety position on this team, and therefore have less of a need for lockdown corners, considering the price they're costing us.

At the time his signing was a great idea, and he's been awesome for us, I'd just say there's no better time to trade him for big value right now.

To the posters who actually read my post and responded (positively or negatively) with something of actual substance, thanks I appreciate the discussion, to the people who wanted a dump bc they were afraid I was some "sky is falling" jet fan or whatever they were worried about, sorry that you spent half a minute reading the title of my post and chiming in to dump it lol, I will never know how to make you happy....
    Funny thing is I wasn't even talking about the OP. I was just commenting from the responses I was seeing.

But whatever the idea of trading Cro I don't agree.
    We need to cut the dead weight big money guys and there's quite a few on this roster . Not guys who actually earn there pay checks..
    Last edited by Scoop24; 12-11-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Stop making logical sense!!!

Practice Squad
    Dump

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    So I really like Cro, probably more than a lot of people. Yeah he says stupid stuff a lot, but for the most part, the players seem to like him. That being said, I think his trade value is at the highest point it will ever be.

This is the first season in a long time where he's been asked to play the #1 CB position game in, game out. And he's responded very well by having a great season (go ahead and debate that if you want, but imo he's played very well in Revis' absence). He's shown he's willing to make hits here and there also, and been a great cover corner for us.

Age wise he's starting to get older but still at an age where he would be attractive to many teams (this aspect will only wane as the seasons pass).

He's also taking up #1 starter money on our cap (not revis/aso money but #1 money no doubt), which I don't really mind right now, but removing that from the cap would definitely be a plus.

While he's been a great asset to our team, if we trade him, I think it's reasonable to say he'd get us a 3rd rounder, or a 4th at the least.

So along with that, the fact that we'd take some money off the cap (making it easier to sign revis, and possibly laron), coupled with Kyle Wilson having shown that he can be a serviceable #2 behind revis, AND the hopes that we will draft an OLB in the first and Coples/Wilk/Ellis will have a full year of development under their belt (lessening the need for our "lockdown" secondary coverage), I think it would be a very smart move for a team that has lacked draft picks in recent years, and is looking to rebuild in the draft.

Thoughts?
    You can trade him when the front and middle get better, however, by then it will be too late.

Veteran
    People who say trade Revis are absolutely correct. We proved we don't need him as bad as we need a pass rush. Get rid of Regis and and his huge contract

With a good pass rush Wilson and cro are all we need.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

As strange as is sounds Cro has more trade value than Revis. He is locked up for two more years at "top" dollar (8 mill per) but the new team has no SB to be concerned about. I think a team will give a 2nd for Cro and the jets will save 1.25 mill on next years cap

If Revis is traded next year it will COST the jets 3mill in cap room. Comp IMO will be lower than expected as the new team will insist on getting a deal done beforehand. NO team will trade for Revis as a 1 year rental, and no team will give him more leverage by just trading a high pick for him.

In 2014 the jets will have the cap money to keep both for that year, Cro then leaves at the end of 2014 or signs an extension. Revis I think stays with the jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If I'm trading for Cro I need to examine why he's come out of recent games. Just pointing out the injury aspect. Good thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2