Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Cromartie - Just hear me out!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading Cromartie - Just hear me out!

So I really like Cro, probably more than a lot of people. Yeah he says stupid stuff a lot, but for the most part, the players seem to like him. That being said, I think his trade value is at the highest point it will ever be.

This is the first season in a long time where he's been asked to play the #1 CB position game in, game out. And he's responded very well by having a great season (go ahead and debate that if you want, but imo he's played very well in Revis' absence). He's shown he's willing to make hits here and there also, and been a great cover corner for us.

Age wise he's starting to get older but still at an age where he would be attractive to many teams (this aspect will only wane as the seasons pass).

He's also taking up #1 starter money on our cap (not revis/aso money but #1 money no doubt), which I don't really mind right now, but removing that from the cap would definitely be a plus.

While he's been a great asset to our team, if we trade him, I think it's reasonable to say he'd get us a 3rd rounder, or a 4th at the least.

So along with that, the fact that we'd take some money off the cap (making it easier to sign revis, and possibly laron), coupled with Kyle Wilson having shown that he can be a serviceable #2 behind revis, AND the hopes that we will draft an OLB in the first and Coples/Wilk/Ellis will have a full year of development under their belt (lessening the need for our "lockdown" secondary coverage), I think it would be a very smart move for a team that has lacked draft picks in recent years, and is looking to rebuild in the draft.

Thoughts?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I had a dime for every trade thread that has been posted over the past month, I could buy the damn Jets already

better idea, lets just trade everyone away! superbowl!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts?

dump

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    dump

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    If I had a dime for every trade thread that has been posted over the past month, I could buy the damn Jets already

better idea, lets just trade everyone away! superbowl!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry I should have just created another, LETS SIGN BRAYLON thread bc there aren't enough of those yet right?

Don't think I've seen one other trade thread on the front page, but if you take issue with any of the points I've raised I'd love to hear them.

Otherwise I can't say I really sign on to the "let's trade everyone away!" for a superbowl idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dump.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade suggestion threads should be auto dumped. The only thing traded in the NFL is draft position.

And besides that, Cro has size, Revis doesn't. Trade the guy without the size and coming off the ACL who will cost to much money if either of them have to be traded.

Revis may be technically flawless, but as guys age, speed leaves. Size doesn't. We have to deal with Gronkowski for the next 9-10 years most likely. Revis has no prayer. Cro can actually cover him.

I'm done.

Dump.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 12-11-2012 at 02:03 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And then when signing revis becomes too cost prohibitive, we end up with a third or fourth round bust and Kyle Wilson as our number one corner. Because of his kick returns and ability to play on the offense, cro is way to versatile to get rid of.....if he were a stock then I would say sell....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your idea is a smart move, so we probably wont do it.

Our defense has not really been affected by the loss of revis....which means him coming back technically makes cro expendable.

For all the kyle wilson haters, he has been fine as a starter.

We cant pay Cro $8 million and Revis $15 million

Revis cannot be traded and we cannot franchise him, therefore we risk losing him for compensatory picks only.

The advent of the spread offense limits how much a CB is valued to a team.

Cro's value has NEVER been higher.

We have many holes on this team that need to be filled.

I sincerely think cro can bring back a second round pick. His contract is not terrible, and vontae davis was just traded for a second, so there is a precedent. We need these picks to fill holes at OLB and Oline and this will save us money long term.

Lastly, it allows us to use our own 2nd round pick to fill a hole, and use the other one on a QB to hopefully be the starter in 2014.

Its a smart business trade

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    And then when signing revis becomes too cost prohibitive, we end up with a third or fourth round bust and Kyle Wilson as our number one corner. Because of his kick returns and ability to play on the offense, cro is way to versatile to get rid of.....if he were a stock then I would say sell....

Are you serious with this? He has done NOTHING on offense and doesnt return kicks?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading Cro?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're trading the wrong CB.

Revis isn't worth nearly as much as he used to be but we should take a #2, smile and move on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Your idea is a smart move, so we probably wont do it.

Our defense has not really been affected by the loss of revis....which means him coming back technically makes cro expendable.

For all the kyle wilson haters, he has been fine as a starter.

We cant pay Cro $8 million and Revis $15 million

Revis cannot be traded and we cannot franchise him, therefore we risk losing him for compensatory picks only.

The advent of the spread offense limits how much a CB is valued to a team.

Cro's value has NEVER been higher.

We have many holes on this team that need to be filled.

I sincerely think cro can bring back a second round pick. His contract is not terrible, and vontae davis was just traded for a second, so there is a precedent. We need these picks to fill holes at OLB and Oline and this will save us money long term.

Lastly, it allows us to use our own 2nd round pick to fill a hole, and use the other one on a QB to hopefully be the starter in 2014.

Its a smart business trade
    I agree but must also comment with two points. First being you need to see where Revis is post injury. Second you need to see his contract demands. If he is in the 12-13 million range, fine. But if it's insane you need to trade him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    If he is in the 12-13 million range, fine. But if it's insane you need to trade him.

LOL Now dump

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime someone starts a thread with 'just hear me out' its usually a ridiculous idea

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Are you serious with this? He has done NOTHING on offense and doesnt return kicks?
    I did say ability....it would be nice to see him get more touches...perhaps and end around or two...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis may be technically flawless, but as guys age, speed leaves. Size doesn't. We have to deal with Gronkowski for the next 9-10 years most likely. Revis has no prayer. Cro can actually cover him.
    Cromartie covering Gronk? HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHA. Thanks for making me laugh today.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do so many people on this board want to trade our GOOD corners???

Trade Wilson out of any of them, jeez.

Wilson is horrible, Revis and Cro have proven to be LOCK DOWN, is no one excited about having Revis and a revamped Cro on the field next season? So many of you just want to suck so bad you'd give away every player that actually does something on this team.

Rant over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thinking. Don't listen to all the small minded people who are dismissing this as stupid. They are the same ones who inflate economic bubbles, who only buy at 52 week highs, and who were opposed to trading revis back when we could actually get a 1st and a 2nd for him, as a starting point.

Reactionary thinking means you are too late to the party. Cro is valuable because of speed and athleticism, both of which are going to leave him in a few short years (maybe his decline might start as soon as next year). But you know what's not leaving him? A top of the market CB contract.

The jets would be very wise to unload him for a 2nd. Sell high, be the texans or steelers. Buy high, be the titans or jaguars.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    please keep in mind that we don't have to pay Revis until 2014.

next year is all about seeing how he recovers post injury and making a decision on an extension after that.