In JetsInsider History

Is The World Ending Tonight?

12-12-12 or 12-21-12?

00:00 or 24:00?

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I have the High School Booster Clubs dinner in two weeks, which I pre-paid, so it will have to wait until after that. Then there is winter break skiing.

This thread will have to wait until April at least.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Eh, I've had a good run. I guess I'll pour a dram of Glenlivet and toast to impending doom.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I have the High School Booster Clubs dinner in two weeks, which I pre-paid, so it will have to wait until after that.
    Oh yeah, you don't want to miss out on tepid chicken francese.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Oh yeah, you don't want to miss out on tepid chicken francese.
    Nah, no eating. Just hobble up to the bar, order two at a time and give all the milfs the Harry Dean Stanton blank perv stare.

When the Sopne is old enough to drive me home, I can eliminate the ambulance.

-

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Eh, I've had a good run. I guess I'll pour a dram of Glenlivet and toast to impending doom.
    Well, if the world is ending in 23 minutes, I'm off to Burger King drivethru to get a #9 add ketchup, add tomato before it's all over.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Its the 21st, not today.

Also be advised to stay away from Facebook and all of the moronic 12/12/12 posts.... I'm sure some dolt will post something about 13/13/13 being the 'unluckiest day of the year' or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Its the 21st, not today.

Also be advised to stay away from Facebook and all of the moronic 12/12/12 posts.... I'm sure some dolt will post something about 13/13/13 being the 'unluckiest day of the year' or something...
    http://www.december212012.com/CDC.htm

Thinking the World will End because of "End of Mayan Calendar" is akin to thinking the world will end every New Year's Eve at the "End of the Gregorian Calendar".

Anyway, the end of the world is in mid-Decemeber 2032 when a large asteroid will hit the planet, wiping out all life on Earth.

The Jets will be 12-1 at the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    The mayan calender didn't account for the leap year.

So according to those mooks, we should've been dust around two years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not happening. The Jets stink. All is right in the world.

If the jets were 12-1, yup, wed all be toast.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Well, if the world is ending in 23 minutes, I'm off to Burger King drivethru to get a #9 add ketchup, add tomato before it's all over.

SAR I
    Wendy's #3, no tomato, large fry, Diet Coke..... Gotta watch the calories in real Coke, ya know!

The end of the world, through natural processes of the cosmos, is closer than most of us care to accept. As has happened countless times over the millennia, one day, the whole shootin' match will be over in a flash. Then, the new beginning, well, begins again.

It missed Earth by just a few lunar distances.

A three-mile-wide asteroid — dubbed Toutatis — missed Earth on Tuesday, the latest passing for the gigantic cosmic beast. When the asteroid flew past Earth, it was traveling at approximately 39,600 kilometers per hour (24,550 miles per hour), according to NASA, which observed the passing from a number of various locations throughout the U.S.

A number of amateur astronomers around the world had the chance to observe the somewhat rare event. This year the asteroid came within 4.3 million miles of our planet — or about 18 lunar distances — at its closest point early Wednesday. The asteroid, which is officially known as Asteroid 4179, was captured by the online Slooh Space Camera and Virtual Telescope Project, among a number of observatories hosting viewing parties across the globe.

“Slooh technical staff let the public follow this fast-moving asteroid in two different ways. In one view, the background stars was tracked at their own rate and the asteroid appeared as an obvious streak or a moving time-lapse dot across the starry field,” said Astronomy Magazine columnist Bob Berman in a statement describing the viewing event. “In a second view, Toutatis itself was tracked and held steady as a tiny pointlike object, while Earth’s spin made the background stars whiz by as streaks. Both methods made the asteroid’s speedy orbital motion obvious as it passed us in space.”

The event allowed both NASA and a number of international observatories to study its spin and its orbit, which is slightly adjusted each time it passes Earth. According to NASA, Toutatis has one of the strangest rotation states observed in the solar system. Instead of spinning around a single axis, as do the planets and the vast majority of asteroids, it tumbles somewhat like a football after a botched pass. Unlike planets and the vast majority of asteroids, which rotate around a single pole, Toutatis has two spin axes. It twirls around one with a period of 5.4 Earth-days and the other once every 7.3 days.

“Toutatis has a 3:1 orbital resonance with Jupiter and a 1:4 resonance with Earth,” explained one NASA official familiar with the asteroid. “Thus, every third time Toutatis orbits the Sun, it returns to the same spot relative to Jupiter. Every 4th time Earth goes around the Sun, it and Toutatis end up in the same relative position as well. Up until about 1922, Toutatis also had numerous close-approaches to Venus and Mars.”

While the asteroid’s size is considered large by astronomical standards — the asteroid that is thought to have killed the dinosaurs was six miles wide — it does not poise any threat to Earth, according to NASA. Due to the asteroid’s orbit, it is not likely to impact Earth anytime within the next 600 years.

Asteroid Toutatis was first viewed in 1934, then officially discovered in 1989. It makes one trip around the sun every four years. It is expected to pass by Earth again in 2016.

http://thespacereporter.com/2012/12/...cosmic-inches/

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

While the asteroid’s size is considered large by astronomical standards — the asteroid that is thought to have killed the dinosaurs was six miles wide — it does not poise any threat to Earth, according to NASA. Due to the asteroid’s orbit, it is not likely to impact Earth anytime within the next 600 years.

Asteroid Toutatis was first viewed in 1934, then officially discovered in 1989. It makes one trip around the sun every four years. It is expected to pass by Earth again in 2016.[/I]

http://thespacereporter.com/2012/12/...cosmic-inches/
    I always thought it was bad diet. I'm pretty sure I owe the dinosaur folk an apology.

Veteran
    them silly mayans

People and their fascinations with numerology.

Tim Tebow already saved us so no.