Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Ravi

RIP Ravi

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12...est=latestnews

Labeled "the godfather of world music" by George Harrison, Shankar helped millions of classical, jazz and rock lovers discover the centuries-old traditions of Indian music.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Roger Moore>Ravi

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Roger Moore>Ravi

-
    Ravi > Gary Moore > Roger Moore > Dinty Moore > Rob Moore > The Moors

Jets Insider VIP
    I guess 32green won't be getting any more grief for Gary Moore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Roger Moore>Ravi

-

When I was young and got into the Beatles, I found out about Ravi. So I went to Tower records, and picked up his Monterey Pop Fest CD. It had 3 tracks going for ~45 minutes. It blew me away. Just an amazing performance and as I learned more about it, it was a pretty significant moment in music history.
    Thanks Ravi!

Now please get rid of this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5_60uARI4

Very influential artist, that's for sure. Spawned Norah Jones as well so you can tell he had the talent way down deep.

Roger Moore>Ravi

-

Braylon Edwards>32green.

-

Shankarji indirectly played a large part in shaping India's (and more specifically, Hinduism's) integration into American culture.

His music introduced many musicians to indian classical and helped influence some of the music from Harrison who passed it on to legions of American and British music fans.

His calming sitar was a lovable instrument for the hippies of the 60's who were looking for peace and love, and after being introduced to this sound, sought out to learn more about the background of the song, thereby seeking out the Gita and many of the vedic scriptures of Hinduism, and subsequently, even Jainism and Buddhism.

Yoga- a HUGELY profitable business in the states-especially in NY and LA, developed its grassroots followings back in the late 60s after the Beatles took their trip to India.

Obviously, it seems that I'm giving him too much credit, as he wasn't the one who did all of these things. However, his music; and specifically, his influence on the most popular band of all time, set alot of it in motion.

--
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 12-12-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Braylon Edwards>32green.

-

Shankarji indirectly played a large part in shaping India's (and more specifically, Hinduism's) integration into American culture.

His music introduced many musicians to indian classical and helped influence some of the music from Harrison who passed it on to legions of American and British music fans.

His calming sitar was a lovable instrument for the hippies of the 60's who were looking for peace and love, and after being introduced to this sound, sought out to learn more about the background of the song, thereby seeking out the Gita and many of the vedic scriptures of Hinduism, and subsequently, even Jainism and Buddhism.

Yoga- a HUGELY profitable business in the states-especially in NY and LA, developed its grassroots followings back in the late 60s after the Beatles took their trip to India.

Obviously, it seems that I'm giving him too much credit, as he wasn't the one who did all of these things. However, his music; and specifically, his influence on the most popular band of all time, set alot of it in motion.

--

Relax, Greenwhich, I was actually making fun of myself, if you have been following the hampur hijinks.

Big fan of the Beatles growing up and I am well aware of Ravi's stature, and I dont think for a second you are giving him too much credit.

Also a big fan of his Daughter, Norah Jones.

A heartfelt RIP to Ravi.

Relax, Greenwhich, I was actually making fun of myself, if you have been following the hampur hijinks.

Big fan of the Beatles growing up and I am well aware of Ravi's stature, and I dont think for a second you are giving him too much credit.

Also a big fan of his Daughter, Norah Jones.

A heartfelt RIP to Ravi.

As was I, if you have been following JI for the past 24 hours.

Also, get my name right, jerk.

Quiet down there GroansandwhichTebowderp.

This is a serious Ravi serious Business thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    RIP George HaRrison

Braylon Edwards>32green.

-

--
    I understand his place in musical history.

But if anyone can listen to Indian "music" for more than 5 minutes...well...whatever.

Ravi Shankar and Jenni Rivera in the same week?

Who's next? Jon Bauman?

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I understand his place in musical history.

But if anyone can listen to Indian "music" for more than 5 minutes...well...whatever.
    Agreed. I listened to it as a youngster with my parents, grew to appreciate it in my world music classes, and respect its significance as an adult- even though I no longer care for the music itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Quiet down there GroansandwhichTebowderp.

This is a serious Ravi serious Business thread.
    The networking forum is poppin, TurdToad. How bout you start the thread where it belongs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The networking forum is poppin, TurdToad.

Geez, what a grump.

Stop calling us names.

I'll tell.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Gordon Lightfoot > White people who like Indian music or hip hop > Gary Moore