Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a spare $32,000 I could Borrow.....for Scotch?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    +1, Beer is WAY to gassy for a fat pig such as myself. Two beers and I feel like I'm gonna explode.

Scotch goes down, and stays down, far better (and classier to boot).

I liked Gin as a kid, Tanqueray specificly. I was a big fan of drinking my liquor strait and neat even back then, and Tanq was good for that. For a short time, Tanq made a great Vodka as well. Stopped drinking both when I started drinking Scotch most of the time circa age 21-22 or so.

Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort tho, both were perma-banned for me. On Jack, I was a violent drunk (never happened on any other drink, I'm usually a fat jolly drunk full of love), and almost got arrest as a Lynurd Skynyd show once (thnak god for cool Cops and my wife's pleading). On SoCo I puked so hard a blew out a blood vessel in my eye once. American alcohol is bad, bad, bad mojo man. Bad mojo.
    That's why I like beer. Keeps me out of trouble. 2-3 max, then have to let it settle. I can not drink gin, just tastes awful to me. To each his own.

Vodka, that's another story. Bad things happen with vodka. That's why i stick to beer.

All Pro
    I can't remember an ounce of booze or beer that ever caused me to say "I wish I hadn't consumed that (although Champigneulles, circa 1962, came close)." Cheap red wine on the other hand, OMG!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Red face

+1, Beer is WAY to gassy for a fat pig such as myself. Two beers and I feel like I'm gonna explode.

Scotch goes down, and stays down, far better (and classier to boot).

I liked Gin as a kid, Tanqueray specificly. I was a big fan of drinking my liquor strait and neat even back then, and Tanq was good for that. For a short time, Tanq made a great Vodka as well. Stopped drinking both when I started drinking Scotch most of the time circa age 21-22 or so.

I've really gotten into scotch during the past year. I've been enjoying sampling different blends and single malts and it really is amazing how various the flavored can be. Last weekend I went to a Johnnie Walker tasting in the city. We got to sample Black, Blue, and Double Black under the tutelage of a Walker rep. There were also great mixed drinks mixed with Red. The best part was that it was all free.

I've also found scotch to be medicinal. I take a daily probiotic but every so often my stomach revolts against me. On those rare days, after things settle down for the most part but I still feel queasy, sipping scotch really helps to neutralize the warzone in my gut.

Great stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    That hard liquor stuff is lost on me...I think I was scarred for life from alcohol poisoning when I was younger, so I cant even smell some of this stuff without gagging.

:retch:
    Pvssy

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Pvssy
    Nebraskan

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Nebraskan

Dude, TOS, common decency...... and what not.

First warning.

I love every kind of alcohol on god's green earth.

And that has been my down fall.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I love every kind of alcohol on god's green earth.

And that has been my down fall.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You should try that with some Polish Spriitus....if you're into comas and so forth.

Veteran
    I had a really bad experience with Whiskey Sours in college. Since then, no whiskey, scotch, or bourbon for me.

I'm fine with beer, wine, vodka, gin,
    or tequila

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    I had a really bad experience with Whiskey Sours in college. Since then, no whiskey, scotch, or bourbon for me.

I'm fine with beer, wine, vodka, gin,
    or tequila
    Do tell? Not enough info LSL. You can tell us, you are amongst friends.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    Do tell? Not enough info LSL. You can tell us, you are amongst friends.
    Well, not too exciting . . .

It involved too many whiskey sours on an empty stomach (sour mix is not good that way), some pot, going to a bar just off campus, not remembering too much at this point, leaving my friends and walking back to my dorm room, throwing up (again not remembering this part at all), and waking up in my roommates' bed on the lower bunk, and being so embarrassed that she had cleaned it all up for me.

The sickness I felt the next day was not something I wanted to repeat, the blacking out was scary, and the smell of whiskey since then makes me ill.

That was freshman year, so can't say it stopped me from drinking beer and other stuff in college, though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Well, not too exciting . . .

It involved too many whiskey sours on an empty stomach (sour mix is not good that way), some pot, going to a bar just off campus, not remembering too much at this point, leaving my friends and walking back to my dorm room, throwing up (again not remembering this part at all), and waking up in my roommates' bed on the lower bunk, and being so embarrassed that she had cleaned it all up for me.

The sickness I felt the next day was not something I wanted to repeat, the blacking out was scary, and the smell of whiskey since then makes me ill.

That was freshman year, so can't say it stopped me from drinking beer and other stuff in college, though.
    Pfft. We had a name for that in college.

It was called Tuesday.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    I have this issue with Goldschlager and 151. I catch a wiff of it and i get nauseous.
    I get that way with Tequila, back in the late 80's we would slam cuervo and ginger ale. 3 nights, 7 bottles. Threw up all 3 days. great weekend, but don't come at me with a bottle of tequila, or we're fighting.

Stay straight with some of the smokier single malts. Lagavulin and Laphroig. Love that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Pfft. We had a name for that in college.

It was called Tuesday.
    Glad I'm not the only one...

I've been blackout drunk plenty... The best part is going out to drink the next night and hearing what you did, rinse and then repeat for 4 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I've really gotten into scotch during the past year. I've been enjoying sampling different blends and single malts and it really is amazing how various the flavored can be. Last weekend I went to a Johnnie Walker tasting in the city. We got to sample Black, Blue, and Double Black under the tutelage of a Walker rep. There were also great mixed drinks mixed with Red. The best part was that it was all free.

I've also found scotch to be medicinal. I take a daily probiotic but every so often my stomach revolts against me. On those rare days, after things settle down for the most part but I still feel queasy, sipping scotch really helps to neutralize the warzone in my gut.

Great stuff.
    Thats pretty cool all around.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Scotch mate. That tasting sounds like huge fun. One of my regrets was I didn't have time to squeeze a distillery tour ot two into my Scotland trip. Next time though

Never touch vodka, gin, tequila, etc ever again. I switched to beer because I got tired of spending parties known as 'the guy sleeping outside'.
    Aye, been there done that my friend.

I'm not embarassed to admit, I've once passed out, literally, in a street gutter. Not quite sure how i got there, the house we were drinking at was a half-block away.

The silly stuff you do when you're young (ish). That kind of drinking I gave up a long while ago.

If you don;t give it up, there is a name for that: Alcoholic.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-12-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can't drink scotch.

Can gargle vodka.

Sent from a phone using an app

Jets Insider VIP
    I won't drink liqueurs/cordials because they're for chicks, old Mediterranean men and faggots. I won't drink rum because it's for pirates and morons. I rarely drink tequila because it's for college kids and Mexicans. I won't drink bourbon because it's for plantation owners and uncle-fukcers.

What I will drink is...

Beer - almost any, but prefer stouts
    Vodka - booze's Renaissance Man
    Single malt scotch - preferably from the islands region
    Irish Whiskey - 12 yo Redbreast is the tits
    Gin - Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks
    Wine - most reds, chardonnay is the only white

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Thats pretty cool all around.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of Scotch mate. That tasting sounds like huge fun. One of my regrets was I didn't have time to squeeze a distillery tour ot two into my Scotland trip. Next time though

Yeah it was definitely fun. It was nice to hear little facts about the history of Johnnie Walker and put some of the new things I learned to the test when tasting it. That said, I have to say that after opening my eyes to so many different distilleries, I'm not a big fan of Johnnie Walker. I liked the Double Black the best, it's very smoky and peaty. Otherwise, meh. Dare I say, Blue is terribly overrated. It's expensive scotch for people who don't drink scotch.

Jets Insider VIP

I'm a fan of Balvenie, would love to try this.

Thanks for posting about it, Fish.

Shame the thread got littered by stories of girly-men unable to hold their liquor and acquiescing to beer and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

Great stuff.
    Very nice! Cognac is also great for the same reasons, sometimes even better give its (typically) more viscous composition.