Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braylonís Return Seals Mike Tís Fate

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

That's the main point.

Braylon made Mark Sanchez look like a Competent QB.

That's the equivalent of Moses Parting the Red Sea AKA a Miracle.
    Ah, so Braylon Edwards made Mark Sanchez look competent but Chaz Schillens doesn't make Mark Sanchez look incompetent.

As a quarterback, you're only as good as the receivers you throw to. It's not a one-man show. Takes receivers to catch what the quarterbacks throw.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ah, so Braylon Edwards made Mark Sanchez look competent but Chaz Schillens doesn't make Mark Sanchez look incompetent.

As a quarterback, you're only as good as the receivers you throw to. It's not a one-man show. Takes receivers to catch what the quarterbacks throw.

SAR I
    Considering the bad passes that Mark has thrown these past two years without Braylon, it's logical to believe that Braylon would've caught those overthrown-4-feet-above-his-head passes that Mark does with regularity(which result in INTs/INC).

He never was much of an accurate passer even during the AFCCG-years anyway...

His completion percentage can attest to that...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Considering the bad passes that Mark has thrown these past two years without Braylon, it's logical to believe that Braylon would've caught those overthrown-4-feet-above-his-head passes that Mark does with regularity(which result in INTs/INC).

He never was much of an accurate passer even during the AFCCG-years anyway...

His completion percentage can attest to that...
    The 2009-2010 "AFCCG Years" featured a 24 year old kid being given no time to develop on the bench behind a mentor. Instead, he was thrown into the fire, was awful for his first 8 games, terrific in the 20 games that followed.

The 2011-2012 "Wasted Years" featured a battle-tested quarterback who can't develop because he's got no skill players anymore, no running game anymore, no line anymore.

The 2013-2014 "Redemption Years" will feature a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, and a newfound focus on the offensive side of the ball and with legitimate weapons again he's got a chance to show us something.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Unbelievable how Rex gets killed. 28-20 record with two playoff appearances and deep playoff runs first three seasons he's here, gets us closer to SB than any other coach since Namath was the qb, we're now 6-7 with a roster that has ZERO talent at the skill positions and Revis and Holmes on IR yet Rex Ryan is somehow on the chopping block.

Unreal the perception the media has implanted in people's heads of Rex Ryan. Is he flawed? Sure. Does he say stupid sh_t? Yes. The guy is a good football coach I don't give a F what the media and narcisstic clowns like Fatcessa scream everyday.

+1

If the team quit on the coach and just collapsed here at the end (a la San Diego, Arizona, etc.) then Rex would deserve to be fired.

As crappy as our team is, they're all still putting in max effort. If we finish 9-7 with the horrendous year Sanchez is having plus all the weekly and season-ending injuries, I'm tipping my cap to Rex. It would be an incredibly ugly 9-7 record, but it would show that Rex is getting more out of his players than conceivably possible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    +1

If the team quit on the coach and just collapsed here at the end (a la San Diego, Arizona, etc.) then Rex would deserve to be fired.

As crappy as our team is, they're all still putting in max effort. If we finish 9-7 with the horrendous year Sanchez is having plus all the weekly and season-ending injuries, I'm tipping my cap to Rex. It would be an incredibly ugly 9-7 record, but it would show that Rex is getting more out of his players than conceivably possible.
    of course playing bottom feeders has nothing to do with 9 and 7.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Put Welker on the Jets and he is a nothing! Leave him with Brady and he is great! Just sayin'.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Put Welker on the Jets and he is a nothing! Leave him with Brady and he is great! Just sayin'.....
    Here we go again with the comparisons to Brady, Manning, Manning, Roethlisberger. They're all Hall Of Famers. They all have unspeakable talent.

Put Welker on the Ravens, Browns, Vikings, or Cardinals, tell me how he'd be lighting it up under some mediocre quarterbacks not named Sanchez.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

It would be an incredibly ugly 9-7 record, but it would show that Rex is getting more out of his players than conceivably possible.
    No, it wouldn't.

All it would show is that Rex Ryan's masterpiece can eke out wins over the scrubs and get destroyed by the elites. Going 5-0 against this high school schedule means nothing.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2009-2010 "AFCCG Years" featured a 24 year old kid being given no time to develop on the bench behind a mentor. Instead, he was thrown into the fire, was awful for his first 8 games, terrific in the 20 games that followed.

The 2011-2012 "Wasted Years" featured a battle-tested quarterback who can't develop because he's got no skill players anymore, no running game anymore, no line anymore.

The 2013-2014 "Redemption Years" will feature a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, and a newfound focus on the offensive side of the ball and with legitimate weapons again he's got a chance to show us something.

SAR I
    I'll give him another chance, but don't expect anything to change if he doesn't quit turning the ball over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it wouldn't.

All it would show is that Rex Ryan's masterpiece can eke out wins over the scrubs and get destroyed by the elites. Going 5-0 against this high school schedule means nothing.

SAR I
    Which is it? We have no players or we play scrubs...
    We are where we our because our QB play is pathetic. I would argue our record would be the same it is now with a guy like Tony Romo and we might be 2 wins better with a Franchise QB.. Why are you so gung ho on sticking with QB that most certainly can be easily improved upon because even when surrounded with great talent, he is average at best?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol what are you talking about, Mike T died months ago but nobody told him yet.. He is terrible. Contracts he has given get worse with each one.. I wouldnt even get on him that much for drafting Sanchez, Werent too many options at the time.. Nobody thought he would be this bad.. Or worse than he was, not that he was ever that good.. Giving him a new deal last spring finished him, that was the dumbest things he could have done.. Did he forget the NFL plays with wideouts? he can draft... Hiring tony Sparano was almost a bad a move as extended Sanchez.. Hes gone..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    This article is so ridiculously exaggerated. Definite sour grapes about anything Tannenbaum. Was Tanny f*cking the writer's mother? Honestly, how does someone go to such great lengths just to grasp at straws?

There's two ways to look at all the things the writer points out, and it's obvious the writer had no idea that could be the case.

The one thing that just continues to leave me scratching my head is the Sanchez extension. What Tanny could have possibly been thinking, I will never know.

But the writer makes it sound like he's nothing more thanm drooling incompetent retard.

Tanny was the reason we contended for a SB appearance two straight years. Lets not forget the good things he's done in the past.

This is why I support giving both Tanny and Rex one more season to try and turn things around. I think that is a much better plan than just ragging on the guy right to death about anything you could possibly blame on the guy, fair or unfair.

Shocking that you of all people is the voice of reason in this pathetic thread, and yet another shameless display of irresponsible journalism, that is only giving the SOJF mouthbreathers another forum to spew their garbage.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of you want Rex gone because you either dont agree with his football philosophy, or beacuse you are fed up with his ringmaster act.
    Or perhaps both.

Like him or not, heís quite respected by the coaching fraternity and by most players. His ďplayers coachĒ style has made him a what he is. most who have played for him, stay loyal to him. Loyalty is hard to come bye nowadays with most players. His true worth is getting the most out of his players. And in the end, thatís what a head coach strides to do. Heís a good coach who is learning that a H/C must balance his time between leading and teaching.

So after 3 years with Rex, the Jets should do what they always do and that is to start over. I hope that isnít so.

This team is still playing hard for him even after all the divisiveness that took place at the end of last year. This year, he could have easily have thrown Sanchez under the bus, but he didnít. (yes Sanchez is bad, but heís got no other viable choice to put out there) He stuck to his guns and refused to play Tebow proving that he didnít want Tebow around in the first place. He could have easily played the injured card, but he didnít. Heís also done a good job at watching what he says at his pressers...theyíre kinda boring most of the time!
    I donít think any other coach would have taken this team as far or any farther than Rex has done during the last 3 years.

I think he'll morph into a good head coach if given the opportunity. i hope heís given that chance with the Jets.

To me, the burden of the blame falls squarely on the lap of Tannenbaum for he hadhis team just 1 game away (twice) from a SB appearance and letís face it, he didnít push the right buttons.
    Either it was his wrong personel decisions, crazy contracts offerings, having Rex choose his O/C not once, but twice and miss with both choices thus thwarting Sanchez growth, Tanny has proven that heís not the guy to take this team accross the proverbial superbowl goalline.
    The final nail on his coffin is Tebow.Nuff said.

So Woody has a decision to make. The choice he makes will tell us if he really is in it, to win it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm SO sick of hearing this "easy schedule" crap! Through 12 games the Jets had the HARDEST schedule in the NFL and went 5-7. While that's not anything to get overly excited about, it's not bad considering the talent level on the team and the significant injuries to key players. If the schedule had been more evenly distributed, we wouldn't have to hear about beating "bottom feeders". The flip side to not beating any winning teams (except the Colts, of course) and still having a legitimate chance to go 9-7 and make the playoffs is that they took care of business against teams that they should have beaten - which truly bad teams don't do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike stays because under two other head coaches he drafted very well. It's clear that Mike takes his cues from his head coaches and a group of scouts that act as a committee; Rex Ryan's stink is all over the "quality" of the post-Mangini players.
    Wait, so if Tannenbaum is taking his cues from his head coaches on draft picks:

1) That's a pretty crappy form of "leadership." As a GM, the buck stops with you. In the front office hierarchy, GM >>> HC. Ultimately it is your call and you own it.

2) Why the hell is he here then? Seriously. If that's the case, you just hire a coach who has the final call on all personnel decisions. You keep Ari Nissim to continue to manage the cap and do contract negotiations and you let the HC and Pro Player Personnel and College Scouting staff up to the personnel decisions.

It's harder to find a Tannenbaum than it is a Ryan. Rookie head coaches are dime-a-dozen, talented bean counters who can partner with HC's of varying personalities are not. Mike is more important to Woody, simple as that.

SAR I
    There are very few "good coaches" in the league, hence why they get canned so quickly.

The teams that have a revolving door at the coaching position (i.e. Oakland/Cleveland) are the garbage teams. The teams that are stable tend to have better records. We have a coach with a winning record after four seasons. Who many coaches can say that, Christ, let alone get the opportunity to get fired. Nearly half the league's coaches have been at their team for three years or less and good amount of them will be fired.

Do we have the greatest coach? No. Does he have flaws? Obviously, but all coaches not named Belichick (and perhaps Jim Harbaugh, still early) have flaws. We happen to have an above average coach who also happens to be the brightest defensive mind this side of Dick LeBeau.

After four years, we will have a coach with an overall winning record despite fielding a QB who will finish in the bottom three in two of his four years, bottom ten one year, and middle of the pack the other. That's pretty good coaching to overcome that IMHO.

*Edit: FWIW, I was against the firing of Mangini after 2008. And there were a lot more things that p'd me off about him than Rex.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 12-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone plays bottom feeders. E.g. Packers, Texans, and Bears all played the Jags. No one seems to be disparaging their records or their bottom feeder wins (and the Colts lost to them). Why do the 'easy' wins only not count when they're all stacked at the end of the season, while the Jets had a very tough opening schedule. The Giants had an easier schedule and it's getting tougher towards the end yet no one is saying their winning record is marred by easy wins. Really tired of this argument.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'll give him another chance, but don't expect anything to change if he doesn't quit turning the ball over.
    Hey, I don't want Mark Sanchez 2012 anymore, I don't think anyone does.

But perhaps with new coaches and new weapons those turnovers stop and Mark Sanchez 2013 is someone we can get behind.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Which is it? We have no players or we play scrubs...
    We are where we our because our QB play is pathetic. I would argue our record would be the same it is now with a guy like Tony Romo and we might be 2 wins better with a Franchise QB.. Why are you so gung ho on sticking with QB that most certainly can be easily improved upon because even when surrounded with great talent, he is average at best?
    Again, I'm not gung-ho about Mark Sanchez. He sucks right now.

The question is a) can he bounce back from this and b) was it the lack of weapons moreso than the lack of QB talent?

All I'm advocating is that next year we commit to the offense, get some real targets, beef up the OL, get a real RB and then judge Mark Sanchez. Judging him right now is pointless.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I don't want Mark Sanchez 2012 anymore, I don't think anyone does.

But perhaps with new coaches and new weapons those turnovers stop and Mark Sanchez 2013 is someone we can get behind.

SAR I
    I suppose. I do feel bad for him in the sense that this organization has just about ruined him to the point that he may or may not be able to be saved. Idk. Willing to give him a least one more year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I'm not gung-ho about Mark Sanchez. He sucks right now.

The question is a) can he bounce back from this and b) was it the lack of weapons moreso than the lack of QB talent?

All I'm advocating is that next year we commit to the offense, get some real targets, beef up the OL, get a real RB and then judge Mark Sanchez. Judging him right now is pointless.

SAR I
    See, I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. The FO ****ed up and gave him a bunch of jags to play with. However, my issue with him is the overall accuracy, timing, bad pocket awareness, bad decision-making, and the turnovers.

I'm willing to admit that Mark doesn't have much at all to work with. But, put the dropped passes aside and you can see just how bad Mark is. I mean, you can't blame the butt fumble on anyone but him.

I'm just not sure if a new CS and GM can fix those issues. I would think that at a certain point, those things have become ingrained into him to the point that he can't recover. I feel bad for him, I really do.