Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ELECTRIC GUITAR HELP!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Agree to disagree. In my experience as a teacher, kids generally evolve more effectively to an electric than the opposite.
    +1

I don't want to poop on the Epi parade but those bolt on versions are worth about the $90 cost. Had a special as an experiment, swapped out electronics & hardware for American parts. The neck was just a dud, terrible board, impossible to adjust correctly (sloppy truss rod) and a big fail on my part.

That said, I'm still pro Epi, just go with the better set neck models for $150 more. A massive upgrade in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Even if it comes in with crappy strings and high action that's easily fixed. A set of Diadario 09's and a set up will take care of that. $10 if I DIY.
    We're on the same page.

ASIDE: I just bought a new acoustic which came equipped with Phosphor/Bronze Elixer Nanowebs. Usually, I use D'Addario's Phosphor Bronze (EJ16). I really like the sound of the Elixer strings. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    We're on the same page.

ASIDE: I just bought a new acoustic which came equipped with Phosphor/Bronze Elixer Nanowebs. Usually, I use D'Addario's Phosphor Bronze (EJ16). I really like the sound of the Elixer strings. Any thoughts?
    Great if you don't want to change strings much or if the guitar will sit long lonely times. I've got guitars that sit for long periods, all strung with Elixer so the strings are not completely dead when I eventually do play those guitars.

I LOVE Martin Phosphor Bronze but they have to be changed quickly. Fine if you play a lot and feel changing strings a lot is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by buickrob View Post
    Great if you don't want to change strings much or if the guitar will sit long lonely times. I've got guitars that sit for long periods, all strung with Elixer so the strings are not completely dead when I eventually do play those guitars.

I LOVE Martin Phosphor Bronze but they have to be changed quickly. Fine if you play a lot and feel changing strings a lot is worth it.
    Thanks for the response and advice, BR. I've been using the D'Addario strings since the 90s. Love 'em. But the Elixers sounded a touch more "bell like", which appeals to me.

I did not like the Martin (or Dean Markley) Phosphur Bronze versions. You're right about them going to waste quickly.

Thanks again for your comments.

Veteran
    We're on the same page.

I love Elixer strings and I have them on both my Martin DC Aura and Ibanez Artwood. I use the light guage 12 on the Martin and 13 on the Inanez. Great tone and they hold up well to dirt and sweat. They are a bit more expensive but I get about twice the use out of them.

Veteran
    I don't want to poop on the Epi parade but those bolt on versions are worth about the $90 cost. Had a special as an experiment, swapped out electronics & hardware for American parts. The neck was just a dud, terrible board, impossible to adjust correctly (sloppy truss rod) and a big fail on my part.

That said, I'm still pro Epi, just go with the better set neck models for $150 more. A massive upgrade in quality.
    My plan for this axe is to fool around with it and us it as a setup work bench guitar. I've wanted to get better at DIY guitar work. So if I jack it up no biggie. And yeah I know ican only do so much with a cheap neck.

Veteran
    Blue Steel phosphor/bronze. You can hammer those things. Great for live play, but lose some brightness after about 3 weeks.

Thanks for the response and advice, BR. I've been using the D'Addario strings since the 90s. Love 'em. But the Elixers sounded a touch more "bell like", which appeals to me.

I did not like the Martin (or Dean Markley) Phosphur Bronze versions. You're right about them going to waste quickly.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Crazy how ears are different. The 80/20 SP Martins sound the most bell like to me by far. Nutty right? Could be the woods too.

My plan for this axe is to fool around with it and us it as a setup work bench guitar. I've wanted to get better at DIY guitar work. So if I jack it up no biggie. And yeah I know ican only do so much with a cheap neck.
    Then it's perfect, exactly what mine was. A test mule.

I love Elixer strings and I have them on both my Martin DC Aura and Ibanez Artwood. I use the light guage 12 on the Martin and 13 on the Inanez. Great tone and they hold up well to dirt and sweat. They are a bit more expensive but I get about twice the use out of them.
    Thanks, GJ.

I'm going to bet that we will be pleasantly surprised with how good that cheap little guitar plays right out of the box. I'll post once I get it and monkey with the strings and action.

Crazy how ears are different. The 80/20 SP Martins sound the most bell like to me by far. Nutty right? Could be the woods too.
    Totally agree. Everybody likes what they like.

Veteran
    I am always amazed at how different a guitar will sound with different strings, especially the ones with softer tone wood like rosewood vs hardwood like maple.

Veteran
    We're on the same page.

Not a fan of 9's, particularly on Gibsons or anything with a shorter scale length. They bend easily, but are way more slinky and buzzy. You can get your action lower with heavier strings. I'm an advocate of 11's, particularly on Gibsons (Fenders can feel tight with 11s but I like that) but it's all subjective.

D'Addario makes a coated string (EXP16). They're good too. Elixirs are fine though. Justso long as they're the nanos and not the polys. Polys are way too coated. I prefer Daddario because they're very consistent. Intonation points are almost always where they should be.

I use D'Addario strings on my Taylor. I used to be an Elixir guy but after getting a few dud packs (new string pop) I started going with the cheaper strings that I could just change often enough for it not to matter. Quite honestly, I like the sound that the D'Addario strings bring out in the Taylor. Made it sound a little more authentic which I liked.

Plus you can get a 3 pack for 10$. I first started using them when I played an open mic competition in Boston and someone left them behind so I brought them home and tried them out. I use the D'Addario XLs 11s on my electric. They are great. Even though they are cheap (I buy the 10 pack) I wouldn't use anything else. They are perfectly balanced weight wise from top to bottom and have great tone. If I were to use a different pack of strings for my electric they'd have to be pretty special because I don't have a problem at all with the XLs. Can't remember the last time I broke a string unless they were really really old and ready to go anyway.

Not a fan of 9's, particularly on Gibsons or anything with a shorter scale length. They bend easily, but are way more slinky and buzzy. You can get your action lower with heavier strings. I'm an advocate of 11's, particularly on Gibsons (Fenders can feel tight with 11s but I like that) but it's all subjective.

D'Addario makes a coated string (EXP16). They're good too. Elixirs are fine though. Justso long as they're the nanos and not the polys. Polys are way too coated. I prefer Daddario because they're very consistent. Intonation points are almost always where they should be.
    Thanks also for your comments, u. I sometimes swap out with Ernie Ball 10s or the Hybrid Slinky.

Have not tried the EXP16, but will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I use D'Addario strings on my Taylor. I used to be an Elixir guy but after getting a few dud packs (new string pop) I started going with the cheaper strings that I could just change often enough for it not to matter. Quite honestly, I like the sound that the D'Addario strings bring out in the Taylor. Made it sound a little more authentic which I liked.

Plus you can get a 3 pack for 10$. I first started using them when I played an open mic competition in Boston and someone left them behind so I brought them home and tried them out. I use the D'Addario XLs 11s on my electric. They are great. Even though they are cheap (I buy the 10 pack) I wouldn't use anything else. They are perfectly balanced weight wise from top to bottom and have great tone. If I were to use a different pack of strings for my electric they'd have to be pretty special because I don't have a problem at all with the XLs. Can't remember the last time I broke a string unless they were really really old and ready to go anyway.
    Thanks also, southside. As you and others have said, I agree that D'Addario is very consistent with their strings.

I also really liked Rotosound's acoustic and electric strings. Problem was early wear and expense.

Ok, we're headed there. Show your baby!

I own a Taylor 810 and a Stonebridge (new to the U.S.) . Just put Martins on them. Dont like. Was gonna put Elixors on as Taylor comes with Elixors. I think Ill try the D Addarios. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I own a Taylor 810 and a Stonebridge (new to the U.S.) . Just put Martins on them. Dont like. Was gonna put Elixors on as Taylor comes with Elixors. I think Ill try the D Addarios. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulKvtk4cyMQ

Sounds really good from this video I found. I'm not a big fan of the open tuning style of playing as I think it's pretty gimmicky. But the kid does emphasize the strengths of this guitar well. Really vibrant.