Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109

Thread: ELECTRIC GUITAR HELP!

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    ELECTRIC GUITAR HELP!

    Any input here is really appreciated.

    My 10 year old son wants to start playing. We want to get him one for Xmas. I really know nothing about them. He wants one that is red and white mixed.

    I've been looking at these starter bundles that come with the guitar, amp, strap and case. They range from 200-300. I assume these aren't the best quality at that price? Is this a good way to start? Or do I get a used one of better quality and buy the other things seperately? New one? He's never played and I don't mind spending more money if its needed but I feel it's smart to keep the cost down to make sure he likes it.

    What is the smart, best way to go here? Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,472
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buy him an acoustic.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the worst ways to introduce a kid to guitar is buying cheap (and cheaply made) instruments. Most likely, they will not be set up correctly (strings set too high which makes pressing the frets for notes difficult and painful), which will frustrate your aspiring musician. This is the most common reason kids quit playing/lessons.

    Best advice I can give you is to find a REPUTABLE guitar shop in your area, NOT GUITAR CENTER, which is a factory designed to sell, not instruct. Such a place will be able to guide your decision and, even if you spend a few bucks more, set up the instrument properly with good strings, etc...

    If you're looking to purchase via internet, I would direct you to Sweetwater. (http://www.sweetwater.com/) The place is not about selling you something you don't need/want/or can't afford. I've purchased through them and was always assigned a guitar tech who was both fair and instructive. Plus, free shipping both ways and no sales tax.

    Good luck. let us know how you make out.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Buy him an acoustic.
    I was going to include this sentiment in my post. I think everyone should learn on acoustic. Less hassle with plugging in amps, etc.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,472
    Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of my original suggestion, spend the money on the guitar. Get a cheap amp. Bottom line, this racket isn't cheap. Best way to spend money on a newbie starting out would be to buy something nice, used and then buy a low watt amp for around 50$.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a nice cheap(er) guitar because the pickups are really good. Fender won't admit it, but people have figured out that the Squire Classic Vibe line of pickups are made by Tonerider - a respected manufacturer of entry level
    electronics.

    Squire is the entry level line of Fender.

    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCV50FR/

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    One of the worst ways to introduce a kid to guitar is buying cheap (and cheaply made) instruments. Most likely, they will not be set up correctly (strings set too high which makes pressing the frets for notes difficult and painful), which will frustrate your aspiring musician. This is the most common reason kids quit playing/lessons.

    Best advice I can give you is to find a REPUTABLE guitar shop in your area, NOT GUITAR CENTER, which is a factory designed to sell, not instruct. Such a place will be able to guide your decision and, even if you spend a few bucks more, set up the instrument properly with good strings, etc...

    If you're looking to purchase via internet, I would direct you to Sweetwater. (http://www.sweetwater.com/) The place is not about selling you something you don't need/want/or can't afford. I've purchased through them and was always assigned a guitar tech who was both fair and instructive. Plus, free shipping both ways and no sales tax.

    Good luck. let us know how you make out.
    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    This is a nice cheap(er) guitar because the pickups are really good. Fender won't admit it, but people have figured out that the Squire Classic Vibe line of pickups are made by Tonerider - a respected manufacturer of entry level
    electronics.

    Squire is the entry level line of Fender.

    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratCV50FR/
    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Buy him an acoustic.
    in a perfect world this would be great advice - unfortunately, you risk the kid saying f*** this s***, I wanted to play Zeppelin.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Massapequa, NY
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I was going to include this sentiment in my post. I think everyone should learn on acoustic. Less hassle with plugging in amps, etc.
    ^^^
    Yup...what he said. Also learning on an acoustic first will then make playing an electric feel like cutting butter with a hot knife.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Any input here is really appreciated.

    My 10 year old son wants to start playing. We want to get him one for Xmas. I really know nothing about them. He wants one that is red and white mixed.

    I've been looking at these starter bundles that come with the guitar, amp, strap and case. They range from 200-300. I assume these aren't the best quality at that price? Is this a good way to start? Or do I get a used one of better quality and buy the other things seperately? New one? He's never played and I don't mind spending more money if its needed but I feel it's smart to keep the cost down to make sure he likes it.

    What is the smart, best way to go here? Thanks for the help!
    Don't you know Mark Tremonti?

    Get him a PRS Tremonti SE and get that ****er signed!

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I was going to include this sentiment in my post. I think everyone should learn on acoustic. Less hassle with plugging in amps, etc.
    Agreed. he can learn some KOOL easy Rock tunes. Electric tuners help too.

    Examples of 3 and 4 chord open chord tunes he can play quickly are

    Lucky Man ELP
    Time of your life. green Day
    My sweet lord. Harrison

    Bunch of Eagles tunes etc.....

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get him a cheap Ibanez and a Gorilla amp.

    If he shows genuine interest after a few months, upgrade him.


    Sent from a phone using an app

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Get him a cheap Ibanez and a Gorilla amp.

    If he shows genuine interest after a few months, upgrade him.


    Sent from a phone using an app
    No drum set?

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Any input here is really appreciated.

    My 10 year old son wants to start playing. We want to get him one for Xmas. I really know nothing about them. He wants one that is red and white mixed.

    I've been looking at these starter bundles that come with the guitar, amp, strap and case. They range from 200-300. I assume these aren't the best quality at that price? Is this a good way to start? Or do I get a used one of better quality and buy the other things seperately? New one? He's never played and I don't mind spending more money if its needed but I feel it's smart to keep the cost down to make sure he likes it.

    What is the smart, best way to go here? Thanks for the help!
    I would agree with starting on an acoustic. 200-300$ gets you a decent entry-level instrument. MAKE SURE to get it professionally set up by a reputable shop (not Guitar Center). Professionally I'm a guitar repairman and factories never properly set their guitars up... Doesn't matter how much you spend on the guitar.
    Learning the guitar hurts. Until he builds callousses, his fingers will hurt. No escaping that, but a properly setup guitar will help to minimize it by making the guitar easier to play.

    Btw, make the electric guitar a reward for sticking with it. He'll like it soooo much more if he already can play it.

  16. #16
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Any input here is really appreciated.

    My 10 year old son wants to start playing. We want to get him one for Xmas. I really know nothing about them. He wants one that is red and white mixed.

    I've been looking at these starter bundles that come with the guitar, amp, strap and case. They range from 200-300. I assume these aren't the best quality at that price? Is this a good way to start? Or do I get a used one of better quality and buy the other things seperately? New one? He's never played and I don't mind spending more money if its needed but I feel it's smart to keep the cost down to make sure he likes it.

    What is the smart, best way to go here? Thanks for the help!
    Hear me out; for the first few months or years he should have a 3/4 size electric or 3/4 size skinny semi hollow. Kids love to drag their guitars into bed; or while watching TV...mindless strumming is great at that age. Don't forget this is his first rock n roll guitar so buy one that will wear the abuse well.

    When he gets into 7th or 8th grade bust him up to full size and he'll be better equipped to make real music.

    Happy holidays.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Kids love to drag their guitars into bed; or while watching TV...mindless strumming is great at that age.
    Not everyone was stoned 24/7 at 10 years of age.

  18. #18
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Not everyone was stoned 24/7 at 10 years of age.
    I'm not following your math.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I'm not following your math.


    You win... this round.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    No drum set?
    lolz...

    I'd never suggest getting a 10 year old a drum set...unless Dad already has a set.

    Even I started off playing guitar. They're much cheaper and portable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us