Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Give it up for Big Mo

  1. #1

    Give it up for Big Mo

    Easily one of the most under-rated players in the NFL.

    I would say that he's just as good as Cromartie, who has also been playing lights-out. If Wilkerson gets a 1-on-1, he's making an impact on the play every time. He's playing like a man amongst boys, which is crazier when you consider his age. He's a boy playing with men, and making those men look like children.

    I can't wait until this kid gets some credit. It's unfortunate that his position on this defense doesn't get too many statistics, because that's what makes a big name in this league. He should be going to the Pro Bowl this year.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    Easily one of the most under-rated players in the NFL.

    I would say that he's just as good as Cromartie, who has also been playing lights-out. If Wilkerson gets a 1-on-1, he's making an impact on the play every time. He's playing like a man amongst boys, which is crazier when you consider his age. He's a boy playing with men, and making those men look like children.

    I can't wait until this kid gets some credit. It's unfortunate that his position on this defense doesn't get too many statistics, because that's what makes a big name in this league. He should be going to the Pro Bowl this year.
    The guy is a star... Perhaps the best aspect is that he's good against the run and pass and also has good cardio. Rarely needs to come off the field. Those guys are GOLD in today's NFL. Especially in divisions with the Pats.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,771
    I am as happy with his development as the next guy but I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him underrated. He is singled out almost every week on the TV and praised to the heavens.

    He is already at a point where he is in the conversation as being our best player not named Revis or Mangold.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,127
    He is really starting to come along nicely. Has easily been the most consistent player on our DL this year. His last few games he has really begun to stand out from the rest of the defensive front. I lost a little faith in Dunbar earlier in the season but it looks like he has Coples and Wilk developing.

    But we still need an outside rusher. It is unlikely that he will ever be a 10 sack guy playing the position he does which is why I don't see him being our pass rush savior that we desperately need.

  5. #5
    One of the few bright spots from this season. He's really transformed in Year 2. Let's just hope he keeps it up.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    ellis 2.0

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I am as happy with his development as the next guy but I think it is a bit of a stretch to call him underrated. He is singled out almost every week on the TV and praised to the heavens.

    He is already at a point where he is in the conversation as being our best player not named Revis or Mangold.
    He's better than Mangold. Mangold isn't even the best player on the line.

    And he's better than Ellis. Different too. Much more of an interior player. Also more explosive and athletic. Will put up similar numbers however due to him working on the inside.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's better than Mangold. Mangold isn't even the best player on the line.

    And he's better than Ellis. Different too. Much more of an interior player. Also more explosive and athletic. Will put up similar numbers however due to him working on the inside.
    Have to say, Mangold hasn't played up to his normal level this year. I realize he is having to compensate for a lack of talent around (and behind) him, but for a guy who was considered one of, if not the, best center in the league a couple years ago, I've been a little disappointed.

    Hope he comes back strong next year.

  9. #9
    Said it last year...I expected MoWilk in 2012, to start ascending into Beast mode. And he's doing just that.

    After the next offseason program, I expect to see MO, Couples and Ellis working much better together. Being more of a disruptive force...both in run stoppage and in pressuring the QB.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,440
    Just think if we can get ourselves an outside pass rusher in the draft we might really have something on defense with Mo and Coples next year.

    Cromartie playing great, Revis coming back, Landry doing very well.

    The linebackers will get a bit of a shake up, which is needed but we have some great potential for next year. Probably looking at Harris and Davis in the middle.

    I know we need offense but a stud OLB in the 1st sounds pretty good to me.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Just think if we can get ourselves an outside pass rusher in the draft we might really have something on defense with Mo and Coples next year.

    Cromartie playing great, Revis coming back, Landry doing very well.

    The linebackers will get a bit of a shake up, which is needed but we have some great potential for next year. Probably looking at Harris and Davis in the middle.

    I know we need offense but a stud OLB in the 1st sounds pretty good to me.
    With the emergence of Coples, Mo and the flashes Davis has shown this year we seem poised to not only take a step forward with the defense next year but also shore up a lot of key positions with young players. I dont think there is any doubt that Coples and Wilkerson will be our starting DEs next year and a lot of signs point to Davis playing next to Harris. Now the one guy, and Rex said so in one of his pressers recently, the Jets (Dunbar) have to get up to par is Kenrick Ellis. He struggled with injuries this year but was a beast early in the year. If he takes the next step forward and takes over for Pouha we all of a sudden have on of the most talented and menacing young defensive lines in the game.

    We just have to find that stud OLB in the draft and as fate wants it, this year's class is incredibly deep at that position - Jones, Moore, Jordan, Okafor, Lemonier, Smith, Mingo, Montgomery etc.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    One of the few bright spots from this season. He's really transformed in Year 2. Let's just hope he keeps it up.
    Exactly. I am so impressed with this guy. Maybe the biggest bright spot on D, given that we already knew Cromartie was a good player.

  13. #13
    He's really come into his own this season. Could be our own Richard Seymour

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's better than Mangold. Mangold isn't even the best player on the line.

    And he's better than Ellis. Different too. Much more of an interior player. Also more explosive and athletic. Will put up similar numbers however due to him working on the inside.
    Whoa. In my opinion, Mangold's career body of work still makes him the best starting center in the league right now, and my opinion isn't an uncommon opinion. It's true he's maybe been a step off this year, but e.g. Football outsiders still has him in the conversation for best performing centers pretty much every week.

    Brick is probably somewhere between a top 5 and a top 10 LT in the league. Unfortunately he plays in the wrong run blocking scheme and would do better if Sparano ran more zone.

    Moore is probably a top 5 guard at this point, maybe even top 3. Definitely most underrated player on the line.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Whoa. In my opinion, Mangold's career body of work still makes him the best starting center in the league right now, and my opinion isn't an uncommon opinion. It's true he's maybe been a step off this year, but e.g. Football outsiders still has him in the conversation for best performing centers pretty much every week.

    Brick is probably somewhere between a top 5 and a top 10 LT in the league. Unfortunately he plays in the wrong run blocking scheme and would do better if Sparano ran more zone.

    Moore is probably a top 5 guard at this point, maybe even top 3. Definitely most underrated player on the line.
    Lets not forget Austin Howard who has been solid.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    Whoa. In my opinion, Mangold's career body of work still makes him the best starting center in the league right now, and my opinion isn't an uncommon opinion. It's true he's maybe been a step off this year, but e.g. Football outsiders still has him in the conversation for best performing centers pretty much every week.

    Brick is probably somewhere between a top 5 and a top 10 LT in the league. Unfortunately he plays in the wrong run blocking scheme and would do better if Sparano ran more zone.

    Moore is probably a top 5 guard at this point, maybe even top 3. Definitely most underrated player on the line.
    +1

    That is essentially my stance too. While it would be great for Nick Mangold to have been flawless this year, he has not been that but I still think he is a top player and one of our best two or three depending on how you count Cromartie. My only point with the earlier post is that big Mo is working his way into that discussion as well and this is a good thing for the Jets.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Lets not forget Austin Howard who has been solid.
    Actually hes been atrocious, just not Hunter caliber atrocious. He started off this season solidly, and has been on a persistent decline as the season has progressed. Giving up way too many sacks for a right tackle, although I do not know the exact count.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Actually hes been atrocious, just not Hunter caliber atrocious. He started off this season solidly, and has been on a persistent decline as the season has progressed. Giving up way too many sacks for a right tackle, although I do not know the exact count.
    Seriously?! I think he's actually been quite competent on the OL

  19. #19
    So our best players this year have been Cro and Mo, but Rex and Tanny can't evaluate talent right?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us