Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Austin Howard's Rise

Veteran
    He was very Raw and still pretty young. I think the guy is only going to get better.

People/fan keep giving the Jets are hard time for talent evaluation but it looks like they were smart enough on this one.

They took the time to work with him and he is developing nicely.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    He was very Raw and still pretty young. I think the guy is only going to get better.

People/fan keep giving the Jets are hard time for talent evaluation but it looks like they were smart enough on this one.

They took the time to work with him and he is developing nicely.
    Problem is when you've got a guy like Hunter, who the coaching staff supports, but yet still knows he needs major improvement. They dedicate all their time trying to improve the slug.

As a result, guys like Howard can't stand out and be seen, because they're never given a true opportunity to stand out and be seen. Especially now with the reduced amount of live action teams are allowed in training camp. All that time gets devoted to jags like Hunter because he needs so much improvement.

Hall Of Fame
    Sanchez has been getting a lot more time recently since this guy came in. I always though Sanchez sucked because he wasn't getting enough protection. This guy has shown me Sanchez just plain sucks.

Greene has been looking a lot better too. This was a great move.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Have to give coach Guge some credit. I think he has done a very good job with the OL. Brick has bounced back. I think Slauson is grading out above average. And Howard has developed. Not to mention I think he might have been a major reason why Hunter was shipped out.

I made this point in another thread. It is amazing how much a difference it can make going from being the worst in the league at a position to just average. That is a huge leap we made at RT.

Now if we could only do that at QB.
    And WR, FB, Blocking TE. RB hasn't been bad lately, but need to consider the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    Yeah, he should be back. I hope we bring back Moore too. I can see us letting Slauson part ways and replacing him with Ducasse. Ducasse isn't awful but just isn't anything special.
    He was in there alot last week, and he seemed like he did an OK, job, never thought I'd see the day even with the worst of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Woody was the unheralded star of those Olines. He was a beast in the run game and I kept waiting for him to slip up on protection and it simply never happened.
    Plus his synergy with Moore was terrific. It takes time for a OL to gel, but ours is starting to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    He was in there alot last week, and he seemed like he did an OK, job, never thought I'd see the day even with the worst of competition.
    Ducasse has been a good run blocker this year. Some of our biggest runs this year are when he's been in the game.

Greene's long run to the left last week was behind Ducasse. Ducasse went out in space to the left and obliterated a guy like 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. Opened up a big hole for Greene.

There have been a few others, but I forget. I do know that Tebow's only significant run this year (against Pittsburgh) was off of a hole that Ducasse created.

He's gonna struggle in pass protection, but I think he has some pretty good run blocking potential. Plugging him in between D'Brick and Mangold protects him to some extent.

He seems to have improved in run blocking. PFF has been drooling over our line all year though, which seems a bit odd given the eye test and how bad the offense is. I feel like Howard would still be a complete turnstile against a good pass rusher. I am 100% OK with drafting a tackle in the 1st or 2nd round if a good one is available

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I have no problems with Howard. I think Moore is getting a little too old, and Slausen is horrible. He really needs to be replaced.
    Howard's here to stay. He's a cheap and capable starting RT who will be RFA so he will be back in a Jet uniform.

I really want the Jets to draft some big, nasty 330+lb Guards. We haven't had that for a while. Moore was great from 2008-2010 but since then he's been simply ok, is undersized and getting old.

All Pro
    What u guys may or may not know is that Austin Howard is a career LT who's playing out of position and doing it well in his 1st season. The guy is a perfect young talent who right now is playing at a higher level than Tyron Smith the kid the Cowboys drafted 2 yrs ago from USC.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    OK, he's good.

The tragedy is the our coaches were raving about Hunter all off season and played Hunter with the first string most of the pre-season.

The tragedy is that our coaches could not tell top 12 talent from a real loser.

Don't give Guge too much credit for Howard without holding him accountable for propping up Hunter.
    Remember that Tanny essentially let Hunter's $2.5 million escalation kick in so they tried to play it up as much as they could to show that they weren't idiots.

Fortunately Hunter's level of play forced Tanny's hand and we shipped him off

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Remember that Tanny essentially let Hunter's $2.5 million escalation kick in so they tried to play it up as much as they could to show that they weren't idiots.

Fortunately Hunter's level of play forced Tanny's hand and we shipped him off

Yep, if you want to blame anyone, you blame the FO on the Hunter situation.

Who knows if Jason Smith will be here next year (and who cares kinda), but I'd rather have him than Hunter. Much younger and Hunter's confidence was completely shattered...he was damaged goods here.