Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Howard's Rise

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Austin Howard's Rise

I was looking at the PFF rankings. About a month ago Austin Howard was merely average. He's now the 12th best RT (not that great, but not far behind the guys above him) and 7th best run blocking tackle overall. I am sure he will continue to get better too. Wayne Hunter's awfulness may have helped us unearth a real gem here. Would be nice to have this position filled at a cheap rate for a few years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    I was looking at the PFF rankings. About a month ago Austin Howard was merely average. He's now the 12th best RT (not that great, but not far behind the guys above him) and 7th best run blocking tackle overall. I am sure he will continue to get better too. Wayne Hunter's awfulness may have helped us unearth a real gem here. Would be nice to have this position filled at a cheap rate for a few years.
    Exactly... It's clear to everyone who watches without those Jets hating glasses too.

The guy is a good player and we have to be able to cheap out at some spots. Really developed nicely so kudos to Googe and Sparano.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a superstar or anything, but he's definitely stepped up. Once I saw him shutdown the Million Dollar Man in week 1, I knew our RT situation wasn't a big deal anymore. Now we need to get a QB who can go through his reads without crumbling, fumbling, and acting a damn fool.

A-How doin' work.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to give coach Guge some credit. I think he has done a very good job with the OL. Brick has bounced back. I think Slauson is grading out above average. And Howard has developed. Not to mention I think he might have been a major reason why Hunter was shipped out.

I made this point in another thread. It is amazing how much a difference it can make going from being the worst in the league at a position to just average. That is a huge leap we made at RT.

Now if we could only do that at QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Major priority for next season. This guy needs to be back. I believe he is a RFA anyway so shouldnt be a problem.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    by far one of the best players on this JETS team, considering this guy was a nobody and has held his own. you got my vote for JETS player of the year.

BIG HOWIE Yeh Yeeaahhh!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Not a superstar or anything, but he's definitely stepped up. Once I saw him shutdown the Million Dollar Man in week 1, I knew our RT situation wasn't a big deal anymore. Now we need to get a QB who can go through his reads without crumbling, fumbling, and acting a damn fool.

A-How doin' work.
    Agreed...and I will say...Woody wasn't really a superstar but he was pretty good when he was a jet...we didn't need a superstar just not a revolving door

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Agreed...and I will say...Woody wasn't really a superstar but he was pretty good when he was a jet...we didn't need a superstar just not a revolving door

According to PFF at least, he was a superstar. Consistently in the top 5/3 tackles in football. Excelled in both pass/run blocking. Howard is nowhere near that, but it's not a big deal as people have mentioned. Howard is above average and that's more than fine. Can't have all stars lined up everywhere.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, he should be back. I hope we bring back Moore too. I can see us letting Slauson part ways and replacing him with Ducasse. Ducasse isn't awful but just isn't anything special.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post

Bingo. There's way too much emphasis on whether a guy is a star or not. People act like this is the NBA or some crap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    According to PFF at least, he was a superstar. Consistently in the top 5/3 tackles in football. Excelled in both pass/run blocking. Howard is nowhere near that, but it's not a big deal as people have mentioned. Howard is above average and that's more than fine. Can't have all stars lined up everywhere.
    Yeah Woody was something special the Jets took for granted. Am very happy we have a cheap but highly effective solution in Austin Howard though obviously he's not in Woody's class but few RT's in the league are anyway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Woody was the unheralded star of those Olines. He was a beast in the run game and I kept waiting for him to slip up on protection and it simply never happened.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problems with Howard. I think Moore is getting a little too old, and Slausen is horrible. He really needs to be replaced.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Consistency is the key.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Exactly... It's clear to everyone who watches without those Jets hating glasses too.

The guy is a good player and we have to be able to cheap out at some spots. Really developed nicely so kudos to Googe and Sparano.
    +1

If we can get a road grader in the draft at RG (Cooper/Warmack), the line will be beast for a while. And if that happens, I have no problem rolling with Vlad at the LG spot next year. Odds are at least one of (if not both) Slauson and Moore will not be here next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, and the best part is that he'll be on the cheap next year because he's a restricted free agent. He's also only 25 years old.

We need young guys on the cheap to really step up for the next couple of years. It'll help mitigate some of the bloated veteran contracts we need to eventually get off the books. Wilkerson has already done that and we own his rights through 2015. He counts less than $2MM against the cap next year(!) Coples is showing great progress and hope and he only counts $2MM against the cap next year.

If you can connect on these first rounders under the new rookie scale, it really pays off these days.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore is a really good leader and grades out really well on PFF. He does, however, have a bad hip and he's getting up there in age. Sign to a 1 year incentive laden deal but draft his replacement in this upcoming draft?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Woody was the unheralded star of those Olines. He was a beast in the run game and I kept waiting for him to slip up on protection and it simply never happened.
    Very under appreciated. People are saying no to drafting OL in the first few rounds. But if for some reason we are stuck in our draft spot and the BAP is a blue chipper RT, we should grab him. Our OL and defensive backfield are the closest things we have to super units. OL/Front 7 are the best placed to have such units, so it wouldn't be such a bad thing to invest in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, he's good.

The tragedy is the our coaches were raving about Hunter all off season and played Hunter with the first string most of the pre-season.

The tragedy is that our coaches could not tell top 12 talent from a real loser.

Don't give Guge too much credit for Howard without holding him accountable for propping up Hunter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    OK, he's good.

The tragedy is the our coaches were raving about Hunter all off season

What should they've done instead? Shout out in public that he sucks?

The guy had a terrible year last year. In case you didn't notice, NFL coaches are rarely openly critical of players when talking to the media. The real criticism comes behind closed doors.

If you want to blame anyone, don't blame the friggin coaches. Blame Tannenbaum for guaranteeing the bum's salary for this year way back in March. Most positional/depth chart moves are done with financial consciousness, whether we like it or not. Case in point: Vlad Ducasse rotating in this year for 1/3 of the snaps.