Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appeals court overturns Illinois concealed carry law

All Pro

Appeals court overturns Illinois concealed carry law

Not that I think any Ji readers care but what the hell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2...d_weapons.html

SPRINGFIELD - In a huge win for gun-rights groups, a divided federal appeals court in Chicago Tuesday tossed the state's ban on carrying concealed weapons and gave Illinois' Legislature 180 days to craft a law legalizing concealed carry.

Illinois is the only state with an outright prohibition on concealed carry.

"We are disinclined to engage in another round of historical analysis to determine whether eighteenth-century America understood the Second Amendment to include a right to bear guns outside the home," Judge Richard Posner wrote in the court's majority opinion.

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside. The theoretical and empirical evidence (which overall is inconclusive) is consistent with concluding that a right to carry firearms in public may promote self-defense," he continued.

"Illinois had to provide us with more than merely a rational basis for believing that its uniquely sweeping ban is justified by an increase in public safety. It has failed to meet this burden," Posner wrote.

"The Supreme Court's interpretation of the Second Amendment therefore compels us to reverse the decisions in the two cases before us and remand them to their respective district courts for the entry of declarations of unconstitutionality and permanent injunctions," he continued.

"Nevertheless we order our mandate stayed for 180 days to allow the Illinois legislature to craft a new gun law that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment as interpreted in this opinion, on the carrying of guns in public," Posner said.

Jets Insider VIP
    Love the fat ass with the shrink wrapped shirt and half a head of hair.

Was surprised he was able to pull a gun from his wasteband without breaking a sweat.

HOGIES!!!

Sent from a phone using an app

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    Not that I think any Ji readers care but what the hell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Q7...e_gdata_player

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Love the fat ass with the shrink wrapped shirt and half a head of hair.

Was surprised he was able to pull a gun from his wasteband without breaking a sweat.

HOGIES!!!

================================================== =

LOL, you should watch the videos.

Jets Insider VIP
    ================================================== =

LOL, you should watch the videos.
    I did. Put them right on Reddit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Conceal and carry. Dudes baby bump.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lol at this country having a bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

A government branch for the 3 leading causes of unnatural death.

THIS IS AMERICA! Land of the free!

All League
    Lol at this country having a bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

A government branch for the 3 leading causes of unnatural death.

THIS IS AMERICA! Land of the free!

Also the most heavily taxed .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Also the most heavily taxed .

So much taxes here that there are no Aspen vacation homes, yachts, expensive sorts cars, mansions, 4 star restaurants or vacation resorts.

Everyone here is broke because of the taxes.

All League
    So much taxes here that there are no Aspen vacation homes, yachts, expensive sorts cars, mansions, 4 star restaurants or vacation resorts.

Everyone here is broke because of the taxes.
    I think my point was more that our addiction to them is such that taxes don't matter.

Would you like to know about countries that don't allow their citizens to own guns? Germany prior to the Nazi takeover. Russia prior to the Bolshevic Revolution. China prior to the Communist Revolution. Essentially every dictatorship in the world.

I'm not personally a gun enthusiast but I appreciate the rights given by the founders and designed specifically to give the people protection from the tyranny of government. I like living in a country that allows citizens the ability to protect themselves rather than be forced to rely on government to protect us.

The irony of the gun control debate is that much like most everything government does, it is about perception of "doing something". Connecticut has the 4th most restrictive gun policies in the country. The Brady Bill or "Assault Rifle" is and has been in effect there. Yet somehow this terrible tragedy still happened. I am fine with the already difficult process for obtaining a firearm at least here in the North East. If the Fed needs to expand those laws throughout all States, so be it. But the idea that doing any of that will have any effect on these types of catastrophic events is absurd. It is a classic example of politicians "never letting a crisis go to waste" to fool people in to enacting their agenda. If they actually cared about stopping these types of incidents they would look at laws that actually would have prevented the massacre.

Some examples of things that could actually help:

A national campaign to educate the public on gun safety. Wow what a novel idea. Instructing gun owners on safe storage of their weapons would go a long way to preventing these types of events.

How about looking in to mental health resources? By all accounts all of the recent shootings have been carried out by known wackos. Why weren't they somehow in the mental health system?

Real solutions would be a lot more helpful then a bunch of political BS about controlling guns. Less than 3% of homicides in the US are committed via rifle assault or otherwise. Banning assault rifles will do nothing to prevent future tragedies.

All Pro
    I'm pretty sure Connecticut has a safe storage law where if you own more then 5 guns you must have a safe.

Portland requires if you have a gun, then you must have a safe, it's a new law.

The father of the 11 year old car jacker was/is the first to be charged under it.

I have no idea what the penalty is for non compliance.

I'm pretty sure Connecticut has a safe storage law where if you own more then 5 guns you must have a safe.

Portland requires if you have a gun, then you must have a safe, it's a new law.

The father of the 11 year old car jacker was/is the first to be charged under it.

I have no idea what the penalty is for non compliance.
    Now there is a law that makes some sense. I'm not sure why they would make it 5 guns though. Even one gun should be locked up in a safe. The only problem I see is that it is impossible to enforce and very difficult to verify. Essentially in those states if someones gun was used by someone else in a crime then the gun owner would have some legal liability.

IPortland requires if you have a gun, then you must have a safe, it's a new law.
    Really? What good is a gun for home defense if you have to get it out of a safe??

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Now there is a law that makes some sense. I'm not sure why they would make it 5 guns though. Even one gun should be locked up in a safe. The only problem I see is that it is impossible to enforce and very difficult to verify. Essentially in those states if someones gun was used by someone else in a crime then the gun owner would have some legal liability.
    ================================================== ===
    Not sure if there is the 5 gun rule in Portland as I live just outside the city limits.

But the thought behind the 5 gun rule is that, if you can afford 5 guns, then you should be able to afford a safe. Further we don't want to make unaffordable to exercise our 2nd amendment rights, where some one might not be able to afford a gun and a safe. Walk in to most gun stores and they will give you a free cable lock that will make any gun inoperable.

I like your idea about gun education, gun safety should be taught in 1st grade.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Really? What good is a gun for home defense if you have to get it out of a safe??
    ================================================

I am not completely up on this law, but I am sure the law allows you to have it out of the safe when you are in control of it.

The idea is to keep some kid from grabbing it out of the night stand and taking it to school, or shooting it accidently, and also to make it more difficult to be stolen.

I personally & politically feel that every gun outside of police agencies and those used by hunters should be melted. But we're way beyond that point. Conservatives are suggesting more Carry & Conceal Weapon permits. At a practical level that's probably the best idea right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o57hOxXHFc

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    I personally & politically feel that every gun outside of police agencies and those used by hunters should be melted. But we're way beyond that point. Conservatives are suggesting more Carry & Conceal Weapon permits. At a practical level that's probably the best idea right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o57hOxXHFc

==============================================

That is what this thread is about. Kinda.

The highest court in the land to ever issue a decree saying the people have a right to bare (not bear) arms in public. Illinois was the last hold out.

Concealed carry is at an all time high, and there is no sign of applications slowing down.

People are cluing in to the fact that we as individuals are solely responsible for our own safety.

================================================

I am not completely up on this law, but I am sure the law allows you to have it out of the safe when you are in control of it.

The idea is to keep some kid from grabbing it out of the night stand and taking it to school, or shooting it accidently, and also to make it more difficult to be stolen.
    Right, but are you "in control" of the weapon when you're sleeping? Are you "in control" of it when you're in another room? It sounds like if someone breaks into my house at night i'd have to either have the gun strapped to my hip in bed, or be prepared to open up a safe to retrieve my weapon.

==============================================

That is what this thread is about. Kinda.

The highest court in the land to ever issue a decree saying the people have a right to bare (not bear) arms in public. Illinois was the last hold out.

Concealed carry is at an all time high, and there is no sign of applications slowing down.

People are cluing in to the fact that we as individuals are solely responsible for our own safety.
    Who said "solely responsible". People are asking that the government not disarm law abiding citizens, that doesn't mean they're not still depending on police and military personal for their safety as well.