Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Titans are favored by 1 point?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Excuse me but maybe you missed the whole purpose of this thread, we ARE talking about THEM and US not just US...

If the Jets don't deserve any respect what do the Titans deserve it for?
    Billy,

Why do you think point spreads have ANYTHING to do with respect?

They don't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really? What respect are the Titans due? What makes them a favorite in this game?
    Being home is worth 3 points. Why do you think the jets should be favored?

Do you realize that in the last 1/2 of the season the jets are averaging 10 points a game? The titans are averaging 25 points during the last 1/2 of their season.

I think the jets can win, The Titans have nothing to play for and with a new coach having a grace period. They are better off with a top 10 pick. While Rex is trying to put a bow on another wise disappointing season. If both teams were 5-8 I think the titans would be favored by 5.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    And the Cards beat the Pats and the Rams beat the 49ers once and tied them once. It's the NFL. Flukey stuff happens all the time. On paper the Jets are the better football team the only edge Tenn has is at RB - which makes me nervous b/c Chris Johnson is the type of back shifty outside the tackles Rb that can run on us.
    What about QB? What about WR with Britt, Nate Washington and Kendal Wright.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Home Field is worth 3 points...so Vegas thinks on a neutral field Jets would be 2 point favorites...line basically means Vegas thinks Jets are slightly better but not better by enough to overcome being the road team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No respect? You realize this is the Jets right? If you just listened to WFAN and ESPN soundbytes and didn't know our actual record you'd think this team was 0-12 by now. Rex Ryan is worse than Dick Kotite.

Who gives a sh_t what the degenerates in Vegas think? They had Brian Schittenheimer's Rams favored to beat us and we dominated those clowns in their own backyard.
    Degenerates in Vegas? Most of these degenerates use sophisticated Acturial programs. And points are established to get an equal amount of money from betters on each team, they make money on the vig and on pushes. so what this shows is there is not enough money being bet on the jets to win, so they are getting a point.
    This is good news for you when you bet the jets to win. I wish the pats got points every game.
    Last edited by patman; 12-12-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post
    Home Field is worth 3 points...so Vegas thinks on a neutral field Jets would be 2 point favorites...line basically means Vegas thinks Jets are slightly better but not better by enough to overcome being the road team.
    Vegas doesn't "think" anything about either team. The line is made to draw equal money on each team,thereby insuring the book makes its profit on the vig. It's the bettors who "think", it's the bettors who feel home field is worth 3 points. All the books are doing is making a line they think will draw money evenly on both sides and then adjust that line according to the money bet. If a million Jet fans bet 100 bucks apiece on the Jets this weekend, the line will FAVOR the Jets by three touchdowns on gameday. There's no "disrespect" being shown to any team on any bet ever.It's just cold, hard math.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Vegas doesn't "think" anything about either team. The line is made to draw equal money on each team,thereby insuring the book makes its profit on the vig. It's the bettors who "think", it's the bettors who feel home field is worth 3 points. All the books are doing is making a line they think will draw money evenly on both sides and then adjust that line according to the money bet. If a million Jet fans bet 100 bucks apiece on the Jets this weekend, the line will FAVOR the Jets by three touchdowns on gameday. There's no "disrespect" being shown to any team on any bet ever.It's just cold, hard math.
    clueless if you don't think that Vegas at times inflates lines based on public perception...its rare that any game ever gets a 50/50 split of action, linesmakers gamble as well

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    so when the oddsmakers set the bengals as only 3 point favorites vs the 4-9 eagles for tomorrow they thought the 3 point spread would get the most even action? Obviously they knew money would flood in on the Bengals. Don't be so naive

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    clueless if you don't think that Vegas at times inflates lines based on public perception...its rare that any game ever gets a 50/50 split of action, linesmakers gamble as well
    Exactly. Line actually moved to 1.5 or 2 depending on where you look so if it opened at 1, that means more people are betting the Titans. Vegas, the gambling public, etc. they all have it in for the Jets according to billygreen. Or maybe narrow wins over the 2 worst teams in football didn't quite convince the football watching world that the Jets were a team to be reckoned with...

Like everyone has said, if he thinks it's a truly awful line, he should bet big on the Jets. Put his money where his homerism is...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    so when the oddsmakers set the bengals as only 3 point favorites vs the 4-9 eagles for tomorrow they thought the 3 point spread would get the most even action? Obviously they knew money would flood in on the Bengals. Don't be so naive
    I'm not naive...this has nothing to do with me. The books set a line, draw bets and adjust. The main priority for any book is as even a spread of money bet on both sides to insure their vig. You want to argue this, go ahead.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not naive...this has nothing to do with me. The books set a line, draw bets and adjust. The main priority for any book is as even a spread of money bet on both sides to insure their vig. You want to argue this, go ahead.
    obviously they would love even money on every game to insure vig, but if the main goal is to get even money, why would they set a line that they already know before hand will have to get adjusted and not just set a line that will draw even money from the start?

Also, have you ever heard of a concept called reverse line movement? Its when there is more money on one side of the bet, yet the spread adjusts to make it more attractive to bet on the side that already has the majority of the money on it. This occurs all the time, and it shows odds makers gamble as well

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse me but maybe you missed the whole purpose of this thread, we ARE talking about THEM and US not just US...

If the Jets don't deserve any respect what do the Titans deserve it for?
    Home team typically gets around 3 pts for the advantage, soo technically it's saying we're 1-2 pts better than the titans but because theyre home Vegas and others, who see this as an evenly matched contest, have given them a narrow edge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    But, but, but we just won two games in a row. AND we signed Braylon.

Those Vegas idiots. What do they know.
    I bought this down to 3.5 to be safe (from 2)... Vegas encourages betting, they don't pick winners in games this close... Look at the ML, that's a true indication of how they feel...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    obviously they would love even money on every game to insure vig, but if the main goal is to get even money, why would they set a line that they already know before hand will have to get adjusted and not just set a line that will draw even money from the start?

Also, have you ever heard of a concept called reverse line movement? Its when there is more money on one side of the bet, yet the spread adjusts to make it more attractive to bet on the side that already has the majority of the money on it. This occurs all the time, and it shows odds makers gamble as well
    I'm missing whatever it is you're so contentious about here. This game started off an even pick 'em...the line has moved to -1 Titans. Obviously there's been more money bet on the Titans so far. For RLM to come into play here, the line would have to move back to even or -1 Jets...it's a little early to say whether or not that is in play here but I'd be skeptical until Sunday at least.RLM is normally caused by the sharps making bets the day of....I can't see that happening with this particular matchup, but if the line drops to even or -1 Jets, then you may want to load up on the Titans.RLM is 58 to 60% successful as a betting strategy which is quite good.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want the Jets to be a dog in every game. For the most part, they seem to play better that way.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, a 4-9 team is favored over us by 1 point...

Talk about no respect, this team needs to go down there and hand the Titans their asses for that, really they do. A 4-9 team is favored over us now? That is the final damned straw, or it should be.
    Seriously, what did you think the line would be?

The Jets are no better than the 4-9 Titans and the line reflects that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    TENNESSEE TITANS (-1.5) over New York Jets

If I hear one more commercial talking about the New York Jets "playoff chances," my head's going to pop off.

Have these people seen the New York Jets play? They absolutely stink.

The Jets' one-trick-pony please God don't let Mark Sanchez throw the ball offense is only going to work for so long, and with Titans running back Chris Johnson set to face a Jets defense that's 29th in the NFL against the run New York's playoff dreams will thankfully be put out of our misery.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...spread/page/17

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    TENNESSEE TITANS (-1.5) over New York Jets

If I hear one more commercial talking about the New York Jets "playoff chances," my head's going to pop off.

Have these people seen the New York Jets play? They absolutely stink.

The Jets' one-trick-pony please God don't let Mark Sanchez throw the ball offense is only going to work for so long, and with Titans running back Chris Johnson set to face a Jets defense that's 29th in the NFL against the run New York's playoff dreams will thankfully be put out of our misery.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...spread/page/17
    Patsfan quoting bleacherreport. The perfect storm of ignorance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    When you play as bad as we do, you don't deserve respect. You have to go out there and earn it every single week.
    Total one sided opinion... Consider both teams and the respect they are due.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Patsfan quoting bleacherreport. The perfect storm of ignorance.
    In case you missed it, all the media is saying the same things about the Jets, not just Bleacherreport.