Thread: Don't look now but the Jets are 8th in the league in total defense....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't look now but the Jets are 8th in the league in total defense....

Who'd have thunk it.....

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

Rushing defense and scoring defense leave alot to be desired but we are 3rd in the league in pass defense and 8th in the league in total yds per game allowed AKA total defense. I was pretty surprised when I saw this.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Old.

But, yes. I was amazed when I saw we were a top 10 D again. 11th ranked rushing attack as well, btw.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talking points for Rex on his interviews in 2013.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    What's their rank against teams with a winning record. Interested in that stat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Ahhhh bummer

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Rex will be back like it or not. No need to change a head coach every 4 years if you don't really need to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples and Wilkerson could be a pretty dominant duo for a long time if they can keep learning and improving...They've been fun to watch lately, especially...👍

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Coples and Wilkerson could be a pretty dominant duo for a long time if they can keep learning and improving...They've been fun to watch lately, especially...👍
    They have been pretty solid. Mo is definitely coming into his own. I had my worries about him, but now I feel more confident about him than most of our defensive players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do they rank points allowed? how do they rank on 3rd conversion?
    And when leading with 4 minutes to go stop the team to close out the game for a Win?
    Yards allowed means squat
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-13-2012 at 02:02 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    THIS.

And we're still the bottomfeeders of the NFL on offense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    No, successful talking points to Woody!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too good I'm sure.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    They have been pretty solid. Mo is definitely coming into his own. I had my worries about him, but now I feel more confident about him than most of our defensive players.
    Yup, One of the few bright spots this season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newbies...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It always amazes me how crude statistical analysis is for football, especially compared to baseball. Outside of QB rating, there is no attempt to come up with holistic stat that assesses individual players or team performance. There is no equivalent to slugging pct, OPS, OBP, etc.

That said, while there is no single stat that can come close to accurately assessing a defense, total yards has got to be about the worst of the bunch. Points per game, though still seriously flawed, is a better measure (the Jets are 19th). Turnover ratio (while not solely a defensive stat) is another better choice for reflecting overall team performance (the Jets are 22).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    It always amazes me how crude statistical analysis is for football, especially compared to baseball. Outside of QB rating, there is no attempt to come up with holistic stat that assesses individual players or team performance. There is no equivalent to slugging pct, OPS, OBP, etc.

That said, while there is no single stat that can come close to accurately assessing a defense, total yards has got to be about the worst of the bunch. Points per game, though still seriously flawed, is a better measure (the Jets are 19th). Turnover ratio (while not solely a defensive stat) is another better choice for reflecting overall team performance (the Jets are 22).
    Yep, totally agree.

Points per game also known as scoring defense is the stat I usually look at to get a more accurate gauge of how a defense is performing and 19th for the Jets, unfortunately paints a more telling picture.....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post

Here's my formula for evaluating D's:

points scored against the D + points scored by FG's made by opposing team - points scored by D - interceptions - fumble recoveries - (.25 x sacks) - (.1 x QB hits) - (.1 x passes defended)

Now if I could only get my hands on the raw data to put into the formula.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post

"Cleaning house" as lots around here wants to do means taking away good defensive coaches like Rex, Pettine, Dunbar. And new coaching staff could mean a scheme change. You do that and you run the risk of retarding or limiting their overall growth and potential.

Coples and Wilkerson are going to be a special combo together.

If you were projecting the next five years, these two guys are two of the most five important players on the team. Jerking around and hiring a brand new staff (that might not devote much time to defense) does a disservice to three of the four most important Jets on the team -- #1 Revis, #3 Wilkerson, #4 Coples. I would consider Mangold #2 most important and Ferguson #5. Cromartie would be after but he's limited by the fact that he is at the back end of his peak years while the other five are either in the middle of it or gradually approaching the beginning of their peak years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A top three offense would be so helpful to the defense.