Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 12.12.12 Sandy Relief Concert

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Borg, I think Martin has talent, although I strongly prefer Coldplay's earlier works. I just think he is a doosh.
    Honestly, I went into this thinking he was a doosh, he very well may be. (like Springsteen)

However, I was absolutely impressed by his performance and stage presence.

I bet 90% of the guys up there, especially Kanye, are HUGE dooshes.

The performance is the performance.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    That....was friggin awesome.

I had to hit the sack so I missed it.

Thanks for posting.

AWESOME!

I'm dragging today, but I didn't miss a second of that concert. (Ended about 1:20 or so.)

What an impressive show. Think folks will be talking about it for a long time. One of those gigs where you're bragging to have been in attendance.

Honestly, I went into this thinking he was a doosh, he very well may be. (like Springsteen)

However, I was absolutely impressed by his performance and stage presence.

I bet 90% of the guys up there, especially Kanye, are HUGE dooshes.

The performance is the performance.

-
    You see how effortlessly well he plays guitar and piano? And the guy sings unbelievably well in a live setting. You could hear a pin drop amidst the 20K in attendance during his last number.

Again, most "douches" in the pop/rock world would crap their pants at the thought of taking that stage alone. Martin relished it.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    As they want to maximize donations, I would guess they will have a pretty tight wrap around any video of the gig. Probably setting up sales of DVD/Streaming and iTunes.

I just found McCartney playing with the guys from Nirvana. This impressed me. Not because of the music (which was fine), but because Paul just seems so reinvigorated. Vocally, he blows the doors off the place. And plays slide. WTF! Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIWdotxMKC4
    I saw McCartney last year when he played Yankee Stadium and I too was blown away with his vocal ability and vitality at his age.

The guy is the same age as my dad but he looks and plays like he's my age. Pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I saw McCartney last year when he played Yankee Stadium and I too was blown away with his vocal ability and vitality at his age.

The guy is the same age as my dad but he looks and plays like he's my age. Pretty spectacular.
    Don't know how he still possesses those vocal chops. SOOTH, Paul's set last night was incredibly tight. His backing band is as good as any around.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

His backing band is as good as any around.
    It was like the theme of the night, how good the musicianship was in the backing bands..the production was great except for the few glitches..

Really, made Kanye's pathetic ramblings stand out in their sheer talentless, skilless..... putridity.

-

It was like the theme of the night, how good the musicianship was in the backing bands..the production was great except for the few glitches..

Really, made Kanye's pathetic ramblings stand out in their sheer talentless, skilless..... putridity.

-
    Great observation. Everyone was playing their butt's off. Very special night musically.

As a former bass player, I loved seeing Paul trot out his trademark Hofner. But was knocked out when his guitarist switched over to bass with that gorgeous Gold-Top version of Epiphone's Jack Cassady bass. I want that thing so bad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I wish I stayed up to see McCartney. I thought to myself, I've seen him do Hey Jude a million times, I need to go to bed.

Bah!

AMAZING show. I could not believe how well the show went. Though Im not a Springstein fan, I found his set to be good. Roger Waters, Clapton, Stones, The Who (SHOCKED how great they sounded after their SB appearence) and McCartney just straight up killed it. The guy is insanely good, especially at his age.

Alicia Keys was meh. Kanye West, IMO ruined the shows energy. He should have gone on first.

And props to Mick Jagger. No one does it as good as him.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    AMAZING show. I could not believe how well the show went. Though Im not a Springstein fan, I found his set to be good. Roger Waters, Clapton, Stones, The Who (SHOCKED how great they sounded after their SB appearence) and McCartney just straight up killed it. The guy is insanely good, especially at his age.

Alicia Keys was meh. Kanye West, IMO ruined the shows energy. He should have gone on first.

And props to Mick Jagger. No one does it as good as him.
    Still gyrating and posturing like a madman. Mick also had a great line. Something like, "Hey, if it ever rains in England, come on over and help us."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You know what's funny -- when I was little I took piano and guitar lessons. Both were sort of pushed on me by my parents and I quit after a short while. After watching the show last night with guys like Clapton expertly pick and strum out great music, it's inspired me to pick up the guitar again. Maybe something to think about here in '13.

Don't know how he still possesses those vocal chops. SOOTH, Paul's set last night was incredibly tight. His backing band is as good as any around.
    It's a little coincidental that all the old guys who have previously shown their voices are lacking suddenly are singing perfectly at the same show.

Auto-tune?

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    You know what's funny -- when I was little I took piano and guitar lessons. Both were sort of pushed on me by my parents and I quit after a short while. After watching the show last night with guys like Clapton expertly pick and strum out great music, it's inspired me to pick up the guitar again. Maybe something to think about here in '13.
    Never too late to enjoy playing music. Don't make it so serious. Just have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It's a little coincidental that all the old guys who have previously shown their voices are lacking suddenly are singing perfectly at the same show.

Auto-tune?

SAR I
    Paul? Waters? Not a f**king chance in hell.

Auto-tune would impart an unmistakable computerized/synthetic edge to the vocal. You can't miss it in a live setting.

Great observation. Everyone was playing their butt's off. Very special night musically.

As a former bass player, I loved seeing Paul trot out his trademark Hofner. But was knocked out when his guitarist switched over to bass with that gorgeous Gold-Top version of Epiphone's Jack Cassady bass. I want that thing so bad.

It's $699 at Guitar Center.

SAR I

Paul? Waters? Not a f**king chance in hell.

Auto-tune would impart a computerized edge to the vocal. You can't miss it in a live setting.
    I would hope., but in the back of my mind I've heard Paul sing atrociously live for the past five years, it makes no sense to me why he would be pitch perfect last night.

In fact, whenever I hear that he's going to be doing a live show I cringe for him because each performance has been progressively worse. I hope these guys didn't use that technology, but it almost feels like they did.

Auto Tune was first developed to subtly keep live performers in tune. The only reason it sounds so computerized and stylistic these days is because rappers are using it as a bit of whizbang technology. In theory, Paul McCartney could've been gently autotuned and that's why he sounded like his voice was fantastic and we wouldn't know the difference.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.

It's $699 at Guitar Center.

SAR I
    LOL. My wife would kill me. I just bought a new acoustic.

LOL. My wife would kill me. I just bought a new acoustic.
    Do it. You know you want to.

SAR I

I would hope., but in the back of my mind I've heard Paul sing atrociously live for the past five years, it makes no sense to me why he would be pitch perfect last night.

In fact, whenever I hear that he's going to be doing a live show I cringe for him because each performance has been progressively worse. I hope these guys didn't use that technology, but it almost feels like they did.

SAR I
    Obviously, you weren't in the room whilst Daltry was on stage. Again, The Who are my favorite group. But listening to, and watching, Daltry has become painful for me.

Although I lauded Paul for his vocal performance, I am not in any way intimating that he sounds the same as when he was in The Beatles or fronting Wings. That's just not the case, as there were more than a few vocal strains which is to be expected at Paul's age (also noted with Roger Waters).

Also, I don't believe the caliber of artists from those legendary 60s bands would resort to using vocal enhancing/pitch correcting technology live. Maybe in the studio, but they would have too much pride in front of each other to do this on stage.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Never too late to enjoy playing music. Don't make it so serious. Just have fun.
    I wouldn't even know where to begin, to he honest. I don't remember any chords or notes, and I never enjoyed reading music. It was always something that looked so effortless for other people and I couldn't wrap my head around it.