Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 12.12.12 Sandy Relief Concert

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Obviously, you weren't in the room whilst Daltry was on stage. Again, The Who are my favorite group. But listening to, and watching, Daltry has become painful for me.

Although I lauded Paul for his vocal performance, I am not in any way intimating that he sounds the same as when he was in The Beatles or fronting Wings. That's just not the case, as there were more than a few vocal strains which is to be expected at Paul's age (also noted with Roger Waters).

Also, I don't believe the caliber of artists from those legendary 60s bands would resort to using vocal enhancing/pitch correcting technology live. Maybe in the studio, but they would have too much pride in front of each other to do this on stage.
    I agree with everything you say, and I hope that that's what really happens.

But with just a little subtle touch of auto-tune you can take a bad live performance and make it sound stellar. As far as pride goes, now that all of these rock legends are deep into their 70s one can assume that if they all need this as a crutch they would all use it and not be ashamed of it.

I know it's heresy to even imply this, but it just struck me as strange as how good all of these old guys sounded when in recent past shows they sounded awful, the Olympics coming to mind.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to begin, to he honest. I don't remember any chords or notes, and I never enjoyed reading music. It was always something that looked so effortless for other people and I couldn't wrap my head around it.
    Don't psych yourself out. Just start at the beginning. Re-learn the simple chord shapes. No exaggeration, you will play about 90% of all rock and country songs knowing simple open chords like G-C-D or A-D-E.

Also, you now have access to many free video lessons on YouTube. This is a guy who has numerous lessons for all levels of playing.
    Check it out, then go to his channel. It's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ5DWCGBzMc

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what's funny -- when I was little I took piano and guitar lessons. Both were sort of pushed on me by my parents and I quit after a short while. After watching the show last night with guys like Clapton expertly pick and strum out great music, it's inspired me to pick up the guitar again. Maybe something to think about here in '13.
    I felt the same way. I had a small acoustic guitar in my living room, and just picked it up and started playing along with Roger Waters. Us & Them'd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I agree with everything you say, and I hope that that's what really happens.

But with just a little subtle touch of auto-tune you can take a bad live performance and make it sound stellar. As far as pride goes, now that all of these rock legends are deep into their 70s one can assume that if they all need this as a crutch they would all use it and not be ashamed of it.

I know it's heresy to even imply this, but it just struck me as strange as how good all of these old guys sounded when in recent past shows they sounded awful, the Olympics coming to mind.

SAR I

I bet your a blast to hang out with at a concert. Always picking out something....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Springsteen A
    Roger Waters A+++++++++++++ Floyd's music is timeless. They will be listenning to and referring th Floyd 100+ years from now as well, just awesome.
    Eric Clapton (Who I cannot stand but.....) A+++ He truly sounded great.
    Bon Jovi A++++ Dead or Alive was intense
    Alicia Keys B
    The Stones were pathetic. 2 songs and it sounded like they wanted nopart of even being there. Time to hang it up.
    The Who A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The Performance by the Who was the performace of the night I thought. First the Bell Boy tribute to Keith Moon then Love Reign made me cry like a baby. The stones are a joke next to these guys, the Who are the world's greatest RnR band.
    I went to sleep before Kanye because I knew I would not be able to watch that garbage. DVR'ed the rest will watch tonight.

ASH

The best filler performace by far was Adam Sandlers song. That **** was HILARIOUS. I was dying.
    Last edited by ASH_1962; 12-13-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: beycuz eye kant spelll gudd

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if any of you can access it, but Canadian music channel Much More Music is rebroadcasting this right now. I think there's about three hours left.... Eric Clapton just went on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Damn the REM guy looks old as hell
    Just the AIDS doing it's thing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Just the AIDS doing it's thing.
    Stop it. Like with Poli, it's only Hep C.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Needs brender and eddy for the knockout
    I need Ballad of Brenda and Eddy or I'm gonna be a sad panda
    fixed.

And, +1
    You boners do know that song is called "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" correct?

And it is Brenda... Bonwronnge!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You boners do know that song is called "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" correct?
    brender and eddie were eatin spaghetti with the king and the queen at the prom

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    brender and eddie were eatin spaghetti with the king and the queen at the prom

-
    Ahh, since you put it that way....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Springsteen A
    Roger Waters A+++++++++++++ Floyd's music is timeless. They will be listenning to and referring th Floyd 100+ years from now as well, just awesome.
    Eric Clapton (Who I cannot stand but.....) A+++ He truly sounded great.
    Bon Jovi A++++ Dead or Alive was intense
    Alicia Keys B
    The Stones were pathetic. 2 songs and it sounded like they wanted nopart of even being there. Time to hang it up.
    The Who A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    The Performance by the Who was the performace of the night I thought. First the Bell Boy tribute to Keith Moon then Love Reign made me cry like a baby. The stones are a joke next to these guys, the Who are the world's greatest RnR band.
    I went to sleep before Kanye because I knew I would not be able to watch that garbage. DVR'ed the rest will watch tonight.

ASH

The best filler performace by far was Adam Sandlers song. That **** was HILARIOUS. I was dying.
    just my guess, but the Stones never were originally on the bill. They just so happen to be in town for the Brooklyn shows, so 2 Stones songs is better then what was billed. I also think, as courteous as they were to participate, you have to think that they can't really jeopardize anything before their Sunday show.

But come on, time to hang it up? As much as I love bands like the Grateful Dead, Mick & Paul Mc. are in way better shape then say someone like Bob Weir, who looks alot older and can't even remember the lyrics to his song and depends on a teleprompter.

I can't even move like Mick, and I'm half his age.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't psych yourself out. Just start at the beginning. Re-learn the simple chord shapes. No exaggeration, you will play about 90% of all rock and country songs knowing simple open chords like G-C-D or A-D-E.

Also, you now have access to many free video lessons on YouTube. This is a guy who has numerous lessons for all levels of playing.
    Check it out, then go to his channel. It's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ5DWCGBzMc
    Great video, thanks. It's worth a shot, I guess.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post

Bob Weir
    To be fair, Bob Weir is not performing the same set list every night like the others, and even when he was younger he still flubbed the words.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great video, thanks. It's worth a shot, I guess.
    I like his, real musical world, teaching approach. Wish I had a teacher like him when I was a kid.

What he explains in this video (there is one for each major key) took me years to deduce or learn from other musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGBOcreU-_o

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vedder was so great that friends of mine that don't listen to him or PJ texted and called me and were so blown away.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know when we're going to start to see some of the money from this concert?

I lost a gate hinge, half a rose bush, and my BMW has a slight scuff from branches those workers left in the streets.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like his, real musical world, teaching approach. Wish I had a teacher like him when I was a kid.

What he explains in this video (there is one for each major key) took me years to deduce or learn from other musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGBOcreU-_o
    All due respect...pretty basic stuff. Ill watch a few more but what is it he's teaching you find so relevant?

I have always believed music theory is key. i.e...WHAT make a minor 7th different from a dom 7th and their relartion to the root.

For example G Am7 D7 or why is a D major related to a B minor etc...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    All due respect...pretty basic stuff. Ill watch a few more but what is it he's teaching you find so relevant?

I have always believed music theory is key. i.e...WHAT make a minor 7th different from a dom 7th and their relartion to the root.

For example G Am7 D7 or why is a D major related to a B minor etc...
    I think you missed my discussion with Paulie. I was giving him examples of beginner lessons one could find on YouTube.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm a Kanye fan and this thing sucks.

It's like he went out of his way to avoid all his good tracks to bore us with whatever the hell the last 10 minutes was.

SAR I

Wow.....SAR is a total poser....admits he's a KW fan haha figures
    And then you actually posted a video? laughable I have heard of the "great" Kanye West before......never saw him until I witnessed that abortion of a performance. KW gave the worst broadcast performance in the history of TV....how can you rap out of key? Apparently this hack found a way......there are guys on thr 6 train rapping better than that.......KW's act was pre recorded BS with sub par rapping....embarrasing for that music genre....and I use the term music loosely, NO TALENT
    SAR you are hereby banned from commenting on any music threads again.
    Your lack of auditory interpretation is myopic. Thanks for your cooperation.....move along