Thread: How long will RG3 last in NFL?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How long will RG3 last in NFL?

A 1-3 yrs
    B 4-5 yrs
    C 6-8 yrs
    D 10+ yrs

i say G3 will be done with NFL by 2015-16 season..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's doomed to become Vick unless he cuts down on this running QB bs. Also, learn to protect yourself, god damn.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully a long time. Most exciting young player in the NFL right now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The knee injury looked ugly and he was definitely lucky it wasn't worse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NFL, as the rules are currently defined, is a passing league. To me that means any QB who needs his legs to be successful will be a bust eventually. If you are a QB with significant running ability you can use that for a few years to offset deficiencies you may have in arm strength or reading coverages.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    A 1-3 yrs
    B 4-5 yrs
    C 6-8 yrs
    D 10+ yrs

i say G3 will be done with NFL by 2015-16 season..

Ah, this is just what I thought when I saw that nasty hit on him. It's terrible really, but running QBs have short peaks in the NFL. Randall Cunningham was probably one of the better examples of a dual-threat QB - but many guys of this type are just a single injury away from having to change the whole style of play that they know.

I hope the kid sticks around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    The NFL, as the rules are currently defined, is a passing league. To me that means any QB who needs his legs to be successful will be a bust eventually. If you are a QB with significant running ability you can use that for a few years to offset deficiencies you may have in arm strength or reading coverages.
    He clearly is not what you're describing him to be... He's a rookie who needs to learn when to not gain that extra yard and just go down...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RGIII has to learn through experience, when to pick his spots to hurt a defense with his legs. And eventually rely more on his arm, and less on his legs to defeat defenses.

Right now it's understandable...he wants to win. Rookie QB's competing against NFL defenses are at a disadvantage. Standing over the center...looking over the defense...and calling the right audibles, doesn't come overnight.

I've been very impressed by RGIII's pocket presence, and ability to throw so accurately from it. But when he can't find an open receiver...his natural instinct is to take off and make something positive happen.

This player is very special. So I hope he learns quickly and avoids debilitating injuries.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll be on the Eagles in a few years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    He's doomed to become Vick unless he cuts down on this running QB bs. Also, learn to protect yourself, god damn.
    Vick could never throw the ball like RG3. He is a lot smarter with his running then Vick. He doesn't take as many bad hits and does slide every now and then. Vick never threw for as many yards as he will end up with this year. Even if he looses his legs I think he'd still be a pretty good QB. I'll say 8-12 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    E) Much longer than Mark Sanchez (fact)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    I think his league leading QB rating and league leading yards per pass attempt are evidence enough he's not a QB that relies on his legs for success.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a very smart guy and I'm sure he'll figure it out. Him and Luck will be the next Manning/Brady combo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think RG3 is a lot like Rodgers. Extremely accurate, smart, obviously mobile. Rodgers can run for 800 per year if he wants, but knows he doesn't have to. hopefully RG3 will figure it out, also. Shanahan shares some of the guilt of putting RG3 in these situations. the coaches need to drill it into his head throwing is the way to go for QBs!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    10+ years, easy.

Even if he messes up his knee and can't run anymore, he'll still be great. He's a terrific passer. The running is just a bonus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yep.

He's more accurate than Vick coming out, but they're exactly the same. If he plays more than two complete seasons over the next 10 years, I'll be shocked.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    10+ years. He is the real deal guys. I live in the northern virginia area and watched all of the games. He is nowhere close to Michael Vick as a player. He is much smarter, communicates well with his teammates, is a team player and doesnt have a big ego. He also heals very quickly and much stronger physically than Vick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    10+ years. He is the real deal guys. I live in the northern virginia area and watched all of the games. He is nowhere close to Michael Vick as a player. He is much smarter, communicates well with his teammates, is a team player and doesnt have a big ego. He also heals very quickly and much stronger physically than Vick.
    I think we all healed quickly at that age.

He may be bigger than Vick but he is still not a big man compared to other players playing that position in the NFL. He is taking hellacious hits. Too many hits. If something does not change and soon he will not survive. Heck even big Ben has been told to scale it back because the Steelers want him to have a long career and RGIII is not even close to having the same frame size as Ben Rothlisberger.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Vick could never throw the ball like RG3. He is a lot smarter with his running then Vick. He doesn't take as many bad hits and does slide every now and then. Vick never threw for as many yards as he will end up with this year. Even if he looses his legs I think he'd still be a pretty good QB. I'll say 8-12 years.
    He's so much smarter than Vick and has already missed games because of his running.

If he doesn't smarten up and learn to live another day instead of trying for these highlight runs, he's going to end up exactly like Vick and not be able to finish a season without getting injured.

Has nothing to do with being able to throw the ball. It has to do with being able to use your head. Hopefully he'll figure this out and be able to grow and move on from rookie mistakes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Ah, this is just what I thought when I saw that nasty hit on him. It's terrible really, but running QBs have short peaks in the NFL. Randall Cunningham was probably one of the better examples of a dual-threat QB - but many guys of this type are just a single injury away from having to change the whole style of play that they know.

I hope the kid sticks around.
    And Steve Young also but he paid the price with too many concussions..