Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets RB may be setting stage for next season- NY Post

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets RB may be setting stage for next season- NY Post

Jets RB may be setting stage for next season
    By MARK HALE
    Last Updated: 3:43 AM, December 13, 2012
    , Bilal Powell’s carries increase, which bears watching going into next season.

The Jets’ second-year running back is emerging as one of the integral components of the team’s offense, and it’s worth wondering whether he’s capable of becoming the starting running back next year. Shonn Greene will be a free agent after this season, and it’s hard to see the Jets wanting to give him major money. If Greene and the team part ways, can Powell be his successor?

Maybe. The 24-year-old Powell barely got any work last year as a fourth-round rookie out of Louisville, carrying the ball a total of 13 times for 21 yards and no touchdowns. This season has been much different. Powell has been asked to run 89 times, has churned out 356 yards (a 4.0 average), has scored four touchdowns and hasn’t fumbled.

CSM/LandovBACK TO BACK: Jets running back Bilal Powell’s (above) workload has increased lately which raises the possibility he could be the team’s featured back in 2013. Shonn Greene can become a free agent once the current season ends.“He’s running real hard for us,” center Nick Mangold said. “He’s really seeing the reads well, hitting the holes pretty quick.”

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound Powell, who has good speed and runs aggressively, has seen his role increase massively in the last four weeks. In fact, he’s incrementally setting career highs in rushing attempts. Four weeks ago, he ran the ball a then-career-best 11 times for 42 yards and scored his first two NFL touchdowns against the Rams.

A few days later against the Patriots, Powell ran 12 times for 40 yards and another touchdown.

Two weeks ago, he again had 12 carries, this time for 58 yards versus the Cardinals, and Sunday he racked up 19 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown in the win over the Jaguars.

Rex Ryan was asked if Greene and Powell are now co-starters, and the coach dismissed it. But he gushed about his second-year man.

“Shonn is obviously the guy that gets the majority of the carries, but we feel great about Bilal Powell,” Ryan said. “When you run the ball the way we were [against Jacksonville], both of the guys get the carries and that’s great. But [in terms of ranking them as] 1 and 1A, we’re just trying to find ways to win games. Generally, Shonn is going to be the guy that gets the majority of the carries, but I certainly like the way Bilal is playing.”

Granted, Ryan raves about plenty of his players, so it’s worth keeping his comments in perspective. But Powell’s performance lately has been both impressive now and promising for next season.

“Bilal’s done a good job all year,” guard Brandon Moore said. “He was banged up a little bit with the shoulder and the concussion here and thereHe does a great job. He’s huge for us on third down.”

If Powell can be a long-term answer, then the Jets might have three valuable players out of last year’s draft — Mo Wilkerson (1st), Powell (4th) and Jeremy Kerley (5th). They also could have a starting running back next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    By MARK HALE

The Jets’ second-year running back is emerging as one of the integral components of the team’s offense, and it’s worth wondering whether he’s capable of becoming the starting running back next year. Shonn Greene will be a free agent after this season, and it’s hard to see the Jets wanting to give him major money. If Greene and the team part ways, can Powell be his successor?

Maybe. The 24-year-old Powell barely got any work last year as a fourth-round rookie out of Louisville, carrying the ball a total of 13 times for 21 yards and no touchdowns. This season has been much different. Powell has been asked to run 89 times, has churned out 356 yards (a 4.0 average), has scored four touchdowns and hasn’t fumbled.

CSM/LandovBACK TO BACK: Jets running back Bilal Powell’s (above) workload has increased lately which raises the possibility he could be the team’s featured back in 2013. Shonn Greene can become a free agent once the current season ends.“He’s running real hard for us,” center Nick Mangold said. “He’s really seeing the reads well, hitting the holes pretty quick.”

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound Powell, who has good speed and runs aggressively, has seen his role increase massively in the last four weeks. In fact, he’s incrementally setting career highs in rushing attempts. Four weeks ago, he ran the ball a then-career-best 11 times for 42 yards and scored his first two NFL touchdowns against the Rams.

A few days later against the Patriots, Powell ran 12 times for 40 yards and another touchdown.

Two weeks ago, he again had 12 carries, this time for 58 yards versus the Cardinals, and Sunday he racked up 19 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown in the win over the Jaguars.

Rex Ryan was asked if Greene and Powell are now co-starters, and the coach dismissed it. But he gushed about his second-year man.

“Shonn is obviously the guy that gets the majority of the carries, but we feel great about Bilal Powell,” Ryan said. “When you run the ball the way we were [against Jacksonville], both of the guys get the carries and that’s great. But [in terms of ranking them as] 1 and 1A, we’re just trying to find ways to win games. Generally, Shonn is going to be the guy that gets the majority of the carries, but I certainly like the way Bilal is playing.”

Granted, Ryan raves about plenty of his players, so it’s worth keeping his comments in perspective. But Powell’s performance lately has been both impressive now and promising for next season.

“Bilal’s done a good job all year,” guard Brandon Moore said. “He was banged up a little bit with the shoulder and the concussion here and thereHe does a great job. He’s huge for us on third down.”

If Powell can be a long-term answer, then the Jets might have three valuable players out of last year’s draft — Mo Wilkerson (1st), Powell (4th) and Jeremy Kerley (5th). They also could have a starting running back next year.
    Kenrick Ellis anyone? Ellis, who has looked very promising at times this season, will probably be the starter next year with Pouha being a cap casualty.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    By MARK HALE

Im sorry but i havent seen any of Powells speed?! I haven't seen him make a guy miss, nor has he run he over a guy or outrun someone..
    When he had a big run it was perfectly blocked with a huge hole to run thru.
    I dont think at all that he is the long time answer at RB. We need a playmaker. You can tell me what you want but ever since LT retired our running game is missing that explosive guy who can burst a 50 yarder every now and then.
    Last edited by LB54; 12-13-2012 at 08:16 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell has had a nice four game stretch here, but he's hardly lighting up the league. He's also done it in large part against some of the worst run defenses in the NFL. I was amazed watching the game on Sunday and seeing Jacksonville just refuse to put even seven, let alone eight, men in the box in the second half. Dumbfounded. However, he has shown some good cutback ability and that will lead to successful plays against any run defense. As of now I still see him as no more than a change of pace back/bottom level starter just like Shonn Greene, but you never know. They still need to sign a veteran back or draft a back in the first couple of rounds in the off-season to compete with him. God forbid they gave Joe McKnight the football, too.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Kenrick Ellis anyone? Ellis, who has looked very promising at times this season, will probably be the starter next year with Pouha being a cap casualty.
    Has Ellis been playing well? It just seems to me that he gets nicked up a lot.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Powell has had a nice four game stretch here, but he's hardly lighting up the league. He's also done it in large part against some of the worst run defenses in the NFL. I was amazed watching the game on Sunday and seeing Jacksonville just refuse to put even seven, let alone eight, men in the box in the second half. Dumbfounded. However, he has shown some good cutback ability and that will lead to successful plays against any run defense. As of now I still see him as no more than a change of pace back/bottom level starter just like Shonn Greene, but you never know. They still need to sign a veteran back or draft a back in the first couple of rounds in the off-season to compete with him. God forbid they gave Joe McKnight the football, too.
    I think the combination of McKnight and Powell would be solid...not spectacular. But instead of being one of the worst running offenses in the league we might be somewhere in the middle. I would like the Jets to upgrade their OL with a road grater type. I think it will only help this duo. I would love to take a chance on Lattimer who can be explosive but we have just too many holes to fill.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    He has to find a way to stay on the field. He has talent.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    McKnight can't stay on the field. That is his biggest problem. I'm sure they will bring a veteran 3rd down type back in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    McKnight can't stay on the field. That is his biggest problem. I'm sure they will bring a veteran 3rd down type back in.
    Im glad we kept McKnight over Woodhead

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell gives us leverage in negotiations with Greene once the season is over. Always good to have a plan B.

I think the whole "starter" notion is over-rated too - if a guy starts but gets 15 carries and the "other guy" gets 20, so what? What's the big deal about "starting"? I'd say the guy who can close out the game for you is every bit as valuable.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing a guy like Felix Jones in wouldn't be a bad move either. A cheaper more explosive RB then Greene.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Bringing a guy like Felix Jones in wouldn't be a bad move either. A cheaper more explosive RB then Greene.
    Fragile Felix? no way! Guy is too brittle...I know he is explosive but I would pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell is servicable and maybe can turn into a Thomas Jones type. But the Jets need a LEGIT David Wilson burner type of RB. Powell scares no one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell has added significant weight and strength in the offseason and he has taken a big step forward this year. RB is not a position where you want to invest big money so when Greene leaves I think the draft is a good option.

I would target someone in the second or third round as we truly need two good backs as much as we run it. If we still want McKnight as our "speedster" then I would go for Le'Veon Bell from Michigan State, he is a massive downhill runner like Greene but much shiftier. If we look for a gamebreaker with top level speed then I would look at Kenjon Barner (Oregon) or Andre Ellington (Clemson).

One thing is for sure though, Powell will play an important role next year and I think he is ready for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Im sorry but i havent seen any of Powells speed?! I haven't seen him make a guy miss, nor has he run he over a guy or outrun someone..
    When he had a big run it was perfectly blocked with a huge hole to run thru.
    I dont think at all that he is the long time answer at RB. We need a playmaker. You can tell me what you want but ever since LT retired our running game is missing that explosive guy who can burst a 50 yarder every now and then.
    That wasn't LT his longest run as a Jet was 31 yds.. Hell Greene had a run of 36 yds this year and had longer one's in past playoffs.. Powell is doing well for a back that the board know-it-alls had as a 4th rd bust last year..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Powell has added significant weight and strength in the offseason and he has taken a big step forward this year. RB is not a position where you want to invest big money so when Greene leaves I think the draft is a good option.

I would target someone in the second or third round as we truly need two good backs as much as we run it. If we still want McKnight as our "speedster" then I would go for Le'Veon Bell from Michigan State, he is a massive downhill runner like Greene but much shiftier. If we look for a gamebreaker with top level speed then I would look at Kenjon Barner (Oregon) or Andre Ellington (Clemson).

One thing is for sure though, Powell will play an important role next year and I think he is ready for it.
    I like all those names, Jets could also select Lattimore further down in the draft and wait until he gets healthy. If Lattimore ever returns to form, he would be exactly what this offense needs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need to have an all-world RB to win the NFL. I think you just need a RB who can do multiple things. Sadly, Greene can really only do one thing. Powell can do a little bit of everything, and that's why I really want him getting the majority of carries. Guys like Ahmad Bradshaw, who can do a little bit of everything, are valued members of winning football teams.

That being said, we absolutely need to find more talent to add to this offense in the offseason.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved Bilal since he was at Louisville. Many posters here wrote him off after 11 carries last year. "Hot Garbage" I recall that many said. lol.

Next step for him is to break a couple of long runs, 'cause he certainly has the speed to do so.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will run the ball 30-35 times a game next year, regardless of who the QB is -- Sanchez, McElroy, some rookie or some retread vet -- so the team will need 2 RBs. Powell is definitely one of them, but he's not a 20+ touch per game guy I don't think.

And I am not sure what kind of $ Greene will be looking for on the FA market, but I hope he realizes it won't be much he'll be getting. There are maybe five -- if I can borrow a phrase from Rex -- "bellcow" backs in the league, and Greene ain't one of them. He could end up back with the Jets, though teams like the Raiders, Chiefs, Falcons and Steelers might be looking for 4.0 yard per carry guy who has lost just 1 fumble since Week 2 of 2010 (663 carries).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Powell is the perfect 3rd down type. He's ELITE at pass blocking. Absolutely fantastic at it. He's shifty and has hands too. You also wouldn't mind him being a starter for an entire game if the A back gets hurt.

Greene however has to go... He's been better over the last 6 games or so but it's just not good enough. Simply too willing to go down.