Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: For a Moment, Looking Past the Playoffs

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like

    For a Moment, Looking Past the Playoffs

    Like everyone I am excited about the current upswing in this years Jet's unlikely, precarious journey. Whatever happens, Jets fans on both sides of the eternal debate agree that changes after January are coming for the the Jets. I wanted to take a brief moment to reflect on what the philosophy of Jets braintrust might be going forward.

    Case Study : Love him or hate him, Pete Carroll or his general manager kept swinging at the quarterback pinata until they hit Russell Wilson . Over three years they started the season with three different QB's Matt Hassleback, Tavarious Jackson then Wilson. How many more QB's did they draft or trade for ?

    You can criticize Carroll all you want for winning only with great teams but he at least understands that unless you have a quality QB, you are going nowhere.

    According to Jason, separate from approximately 5 million needed for rookies, we will have about a modest 13 million in salary cap room for fourteen roster spots.

    Along from the need to resign some key free agents like Landry, the Jets need lots of offensive help and some defensive improvements at linebacker in the off season. Do any of these improvements bring us further than an early exit in the playoffs without another swing at the QB pinata ?

    Drafting two qb's as Washington did (I am not recommending trading up to do it) seems like a smart move for the Jets that will likely be in a mini-rebuilding mode next year.

    In a QB driven league where the passer is increasingly protected by league rules, it seems like the first order of business.

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    2,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Wilson, but let's not put him in Canton just yet. He's got a lot to prove still.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Like everyone I am excited about the current upswing in this years Jet's unlikely, precarious journey. Whatever happens, Jets fans on both sides of the eternal debate agree that changes after January are coming for the the Jets. I wanted to take a brief moment to reflect on what the philosophy of Jets braintrust might be going forward.
    According to Jason, separate from approximately 5 million needed for rookies, we will have about a modest 13 million in salary cap room for fourteen roster spots.

    Along from the need to resign some key free agents like Landry, the Jets need lots of offensive help and some defensive improvements at linebacker in the off season. Do any of these improvements bring us further than an early exit in the playoffs without another swing at the QB pinata ?

    Drafting two qb's as Washington did (I am not recommending trading up to do it) seems like a smart move for the Jets that will likely be in a mini-rebuilding mode next year.

    In a QB driven league where the passer is increasingly protected by league rules, it seems like the first order of business.
    This is why last year, this year and next year are holding patterns, or busts, for the Jets. 09 and 10 were Super Bowl or busts for Woody, the Jets, Sanchez, Rex et al. They spent it all up front to try and buy a SB, didn't work, just letting it play out now. Sanchez's extension isn't even the killer in this scenario. They're just biding their time till 2014. Rex's guarantee to meet Obama in the Oval Office after a SB victory is toast.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Like everyone I am excited about the current upswing in this years Jet's unlikely, precarious journey. Whatever happens, Jets fans on both sides of the eternal debate agree that changes after January are coming for the the Jets. I wanted to take a brief moment to reflect on what the philosophy of Jets braintrust might be going forward.

    Case Study : Love him or hate him, Pete Carroll or his general manager kept swinging at the quarterback pinata until they hit Russell Wilson . Over three years they started the season with three different QB's Matt Hassleback, Tavarious Jackson then Wilson. How many more QB's did they draft or trade for ?

    You can criticize Carroll all you want for winning only with great teams but he at least understands that unless you have a quality QB, you are going nowhere.

    According to Jason, separate from approximately 5 million needed for rookies, we will have about a modest 13 million in salary cap room for fourteen roster spots.

    Along from the need to resign some key free agents like Landry, the Jets need lots of offensive help and some defensive improvements at linebacker in the off season. Do any of these improvements bring us further than an early exit in the playoffs without another swing at the QB pinata ?

    Drafting two qb's as Washington did (I am not recommending trading up to do it) seems like a smart move for the Jets that will likely be in a mini-rebuilding mode next year.

    In a QB driven league where the passer is increasingly protected by league rules, it seems like the first order of business.
    Not yet. Build the talent level around Sanchez first, and see what he can do. The Jets are paying him anyway, and no one can deny that this team has eroded around him the last 2 seasons. I'm not saying Sanchez doesn't need improvement himself, but his lack of statistics which everyone seems to find convenient is surely, at least in significant part, having to do with the lack of talent particularly in his ever-changing WR group.

    Fans liked him his first 2 seasons, when he was "a young QB." He did a decent job and his mistakes were forgiven for the same aforementioned reason. But, in years 3 and 4 (when a QB is likely coming into his own) the Jets take away the things that worked for him and expect improvement? Curious to say the least. Fans and media find overlooking this one important point very convenient when they need someone to blame or bash, relying on some bullsh!t cliche' that says "good QBs raise the level of the players around him." Well, there are actually very few QBs in the history of the league that have done that. Everyone else needs a team around them. In a sport, that I hear everyone say is the ultimate team sport, I hear those same people bashing Sanchez for all the teams ills. It's BS, untrue, and oversimplified.

    It's not time to draft or sign the "QB of the future" in NY. It's time to flood this team with talent via the draft and free agency and get an accurate assessment of what could be the Jets "QB of the future." Or maybe he's not, but at least they will know.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I like Wilson, but let's not put him in Canton just yet. He's got a lot to prove still.
    Agreed ... Could Wilson turn into another Sanchez in three years time ?
    Unlikely but however Wilson turns out, the philosophy to never cease drafting qb's every year seems wise.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I like Wilson, but let's not put him in Canton just yet. He's got a lot to prove still.
    Obviously, but he's already tolerable as a rookie.


    Seattle did go about it the right way, even though it hasn't resulted in a star QB. YOu just keep swinging away at the QB position until you get something that works or even feels right.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen View Post
    It's not time to draft or sign the "QB of the future" in NY. It's time to flood this team with talent via the draft and free agency and get an accurate assessment of what could be the Jets "QB of the future." Or maybe he's not, but at least they will know.
    You're right with Sanchez's contract there is no choice but to build around him for one more year. On the other hand, he has regressed so much, I am not sure it will help all that much.

    The Jets do not have the money to flood the team with quality free agents, it will be second and third tier players. Trading any of our cap heavy players will result in too much dead money to free up substantial cap room. - Trading, down and/or trading a player to get an extra pick or two in the draft might be the only option.

    A couple of mid round picks on developmental QB's at the very least seem prudent.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    This is why last year, this year and next year are holding patterns, or busts, for the Jets. 09 and 10 were Super Bowl or busts for Woody, the Jets, Sanchez, Rex et al. They spent it all up front to try and buy a SB, didn't work, just letting it play out now. Sanchez's extension isn't even the killer in this scenario. They're just biding their time till 2014. Rex's guarantee to meet Obama in the Oval Office after a SB victory is toast.
    Agreed, which illustrates that boom or bust salary cap gambles rarely result in Super Bowls ...

    Slow and steady, saying goodbye to certain talented football players at the end of their rookie contracts, is sometimes a necessary if painful exercise in cap responsibility. The Steelers and the Giants come to mind ...

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I like Wilson, but let's not put him in Canton just yet. He's got a lot to prove still.
    But for a 3rd rd pick- paydirt.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Obviously, but he's already tolerable as a rookie. Seattle did go about it the right way, even though it hasn't resulted in a star QB. YOu just keep swinging away at the QB position until you get something that works or even feels right.
    20 Tds and 9 picks so far not to shabby if Sanchez played like Wilson as a rookie we may have made the Bowl.. Although being under 6 ft he would get killed on this board if he was a Jet.. He went 2 picks in the 3rd before we took Demario Davis..

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, Sanchez should be given every opportunity to start next year, but he has to win it in camp.

    Mac needs to start some games now, the jets need to know if he is a valid backup if Sanchez fails next year.

    If a guy drops, like Mallet did, the Jets have to take him, but if not and Mac has not proved himself this year a vet like Moore, Campbell, Garrard should be obtained.

    The oline needs to be the #1 priority this off season, If they think Howard is the guy at RT great get two Guards early and turn the line back into the strength it was when Sanchez did have success. IMO the draft is deep in safeties this year and that should be addressed second. The LBs 3rd as they are the cheapest position in FA

    No matter who is the qb or who is the rb, they need a line to block for them.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    IMO, Sanchez should be given every opportunity to start next year, but he has to win it in camp.

    Mac needs to start some games now, the jets need to know if he is a valid backup if Sanchez fails next year.

    If a guy drops, like Mallet did, the Jets have to take him, but if not and Mac has not proved himself this year a vet like Moore, Campbell, Garrard should be obtained.

    The oline needs to be the #1 priority this off season, If they think Howard is the guy at RT great get two Guards early and turn the line back into the strength it was when Sanchez did have success. IMO the draft is deep in safeties this year and that should be addressed second. The LBs 3rd as they are the cheapest position in FA

    No matter who is the qb or who is the rb, they need a line to block for them.
    I do agree it all starts on the oline. At guard Moore has a limited shelf life but he continues to play well and is not the reason for Mark Sanchez performing poorly. I would resign Moore to a one year contract (if possible) and draft his replacement. At left guard, Slauson is likely gone and unless Ducasse suddenly takes a leap forward in pass protection, a quality free agent is needed. It will be interesting to see if the front office (whomever they will be next year) will stick with Howard at right tackle.

    Your formula on QB's seems a good one to make the Jets respectable but not brave enough to make them great. Agreed that the Jets are in a transitional year next year but I don't think spending money on a Moore/Campbell/Garrard type vet will bring them any closer to a super bowl. Unless Rivers comes available, I think the money is better spent on the many holes in the roster. There needs to be a open competition between Sanchez, McIlroy and a rookie in camp. Sanchez or McIlroy would likely start the season with a developmental rookie QB or two in the wings.

    There needs to be a dramatic shift in football philosophy with a new coordinator on offense. Keep running the ball but continue to search for (draft) a QB with pocket presence that can throw an accurate football along with receivers and tight ends that can actually catch a football. Quarterbacks with pocket awareness that can read defenses effectively and throw a long ball accurately dominate today's football.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    2,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like most have stated above wilson has done nothing yet. Team is winning on super strong defense and a running game. Sound familar?

    not saying wilson isnt the answer but honestly i think it is unlikely he is. we see a lot of rookie qbs who are mobile come into the league and have early sucess. then year 2 and 3 the league catches up and they dont develope enough to stay around.

    plus the fact that the guy is crazy short for the position. again not saying he cant do it but frankly no one ever has so......

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us