Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty good article by Manish Mehta....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Pretty good article by Manish Mehta....

Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine's defense has NY Jets playoff hopes alive, despite losing star CB Darrelle Revis to season ending injury

If Gang Green is going to complete the tough task of grabbing an AFC playoff spot, it will be the defense that will take them there.

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 10:01 PM

Updated: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 12:56 AM.
    New York Daily News

Bart Scott (l.) and David Harris show Cardinals QB Ryan Lindley that the Jets defense is still to be feared.

When Woody Johnson examines the good, bad and ugly from the 2012 season in a few weeks, he should know this: The Jets were still in the playoff conversation down the stretch, thanks to a defense that re-established itself as the team’s backbone.

Strip away all the Barnum & Bailey-style allusions from the past nine months and the reality is that Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine positioned the Jets to have some hope during the final month of the season.

Ryan’s trust in Pettine has been one of the most critical — and overlooked — elements of the Jets’ resurgence after a midseason swoon threatened to banish them to irrelevance. The Jets (6-7) must win out and get some help to make the postseason, but they still have a heartbeat thanks, in large part, to a defense that has moved from 19th to eighth in the rankings in the past two weeks.

Those who try to marginalize the statistical leap by noting the inferior competition (Cardinals and Jaguars) in recent games conveniently ignore that the Jets had the toughest schedule in the NFL through the first 12 weeks. News flash: There are soft parts of every team’s schedule. The Jets just happened to have a front-loaded degree of difficulty.

“We can’t worry about who we play or what they have on offense or their personnel or anything like that,” safety Yeremiah Bell said. “We want to come out and dominate no matter who it is. And if people want to say they’re under par, then they’re under par, but as a group and as a defense we have to come out and take care of business so we can get momentum going into the next week.”

The most critical about-face has come on third down, which has made all the difference. The Jets allowed a head-scratching 45% third-down conversion rate through the first eight games. In the five games since the bye, opponents are converting just 30.7% on third down, including for two of the last 31 attempts.

Gang Green also has ramped up its pass rush since the bye, recording 10 sacks in the last five games after recording 22 in the first eight games.

The Jets, winners of three of their last four, have fed off their defensive energy much like they did during their back-to-back AFC Championship Game runs in 2009 and 2010. The defensive success in the past three wins has been eye-opening: Ryan and Pettine’s defense forced 18 three-and-outs in 39 drives — or 46% of the time. The Jets allowed 29 points (9.7 points per game) and forced six turnovers in those victories.

Although the resurgent running game has helped keep the offense afloat, the dearth of talent and depth at the skill positions has been the primary reason for the team’s struggles.

The best chance that the Jets have to run the table is to lean on a defense that Mike DeVito said has become “reminiscent of 2009 and 2010” when the Jets finished first and third in the rankings.

“Everything works on momentum,” said DeVito, a defensive end. “If you get momentum going and you get confidence going... it’s really encouraging because the ball gets rolling and now we’re out there playing with a swagger. I feel like going forward that we can put that defense on the field like we have the past two weeks. We’ve seen spurts all year that we can be extremely dominant.”

Pettine and Ryan have proven to be schematic wizards again, elevating a defense that had perennial All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis for a grand total of six quarters this season.

Thanks to innovative weekly designs, the Jets rank fourth in the NFL in pass defense despite losing arguably the best defensive player in the league. They haven’t allowed a 100-yard game by a wide receiver this season.

The defense has carried the Jets even without a dominant pass rusher or game changer. Mo Wilkerson, a rising star in the front seven, and LaRon Landry, the most valuable player in the secondary, have been standouts. Antonio Cromartie has proven that he’s clearly a No. 1 cornerback in the league.

There are no superstars, but it doesn’t seem to matter to Pettine and Ryan. If the Jets have any chance of pulling off a miracle and sneaking into the playoffs, it’ll be up to their defense to dominate and mask all of the deficiencies around it.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2EwdaqLCH
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-13-2012 at 10:11 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gang Green also has ramped up its pass rush since the bye, recording 10 sacks in the last five games after recording 22 in the first eight games.

That line right there doesn't make sense. Through the first 8 games, the Jets were averaging 2.75 sacks per game. Now they are averaging 2 sacks per game. Unless it's a typo.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

That line right there doesn't make sense. Through the first 8 games, the Jets were averaging 2.75 sacks per game. Now they are averaging 2 sacks per game. Unless it's a typo.
    I saw that as well, but, 32 sacks (assuming that's an accurate #) through 13 games is still almost 2 1/2 sacks a game (2.46 to be exact) which is a respectable stat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Revis has read this article.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that this team will finish around 500 with one of the worst QB's in the league is amazing... Rex and everyone deserve credit for that.

The fact that they had a bottom 5 QB in the league for the 3 years prior and finished with good records is another example.

The Jets have a good coach... He hung in there too long with Sanchez, but all coaches struggle finding a QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have been horrible on 3rd down in all but the first year Ryan was here. The Jets havent played a quality opponent after the bye. Statistics dont lie, liers use statistics.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The article left out one thing.

This is the most INEPT offence the NFL has EVER seen. When they are on the field, even the most homer Jet fan has to admit. They have NO hope what so ever of getting ANYTHING done.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The fact that this team will finish around 500 with one of the worst QB's in the league is amazing... Rex and everyone deserve credit for that.

The fact that they had a bottom 5 QB in the league for the 3 years prior and finished with good records is another example.

The Jets have a good coach... He hung in there too long with Sanchez, but all coaches struggle finding a QB.
    Exactly right.....Rex needs to have Suckchez on a MUCH shorter leash next season, the first sign of Suckchez becoming the turnover machine he has been this year, ALA his first multi-turnover game, bench him and don't look back...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    The article left out one thing.

This is the most INEPT offence the NFL has EVER seen. When they are on the field, even the most homer Jet fan has to admit. They have NO hope what so ever of getting ANYTHING done.
    Actually it's the QB, plain and simple.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

The defensive success in the past three wins has been eye-opening: Ryan and Pettine’s defense forced 18 three-and-outs in 39 drives — or 46% of the time. The Jets allowed 29 points (9.7 points per game) and forced six turnovers in those victories.
    Arizona: 32nd ranked offense in the NFL
    Jacksonville: 31st ranked offense in the NFL
    St. Louis: 27th ranked offense in the NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Arizona beat the Pats (at home I might add)...

St.Louis tied the 49er's once and beat them the 2nd time around - I'm just sayin'....you know how the saying goes - "On any given Sunday......"
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-13-2012 at 10:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said.

I do think this is a good defense, I think with a mid-range (16-10th) ranked offense, this defense would be a ton better.

But that is not the case here.

Defense may win the Super Bowl itself but your QB and WRs have to get you there.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

typo.

only 12 sacks in the first 8 games.

it's no mystery why the defense struggles on 3rd down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so they did what a good defense is supposed to do and dominated bad offenses.

It would've been so awfully embarrassing to lose to the Cardinals at home

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    typo.

only 12 sacks in the first 8 games.

it's no mystery why the defense struggles on 3rd down.
    That makes alot more sense then....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Well said.

I do think this is a good defense, I think with a mid-range (16-10th) ranked offense, this defense would be a ton better.

But that is not the case here.

Defense may win the Super Bowl itself but your QB and WRs have to get you there.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
    Easy to understand, hard to actually do. QB's aren't exactly easy to get. And I mean good QBs, not the Alex Smith's of the world.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it's the QB, plain and simple.
    I would agree he is the biggest problem. Still not the only one. Sparono has no business running an NFL offence. Also there is no playmakers on the team. Keller is a shell of his former self, Kerley could be a decent slot guy if they had anyone at all on the outside. The line does not have the killer mentality of a ground and pound offence. I grindge every time they take the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree he is the biggest problem. Still not the only one. Sparono has no business running an NFL offence. Also there is no playmakers on the team. Keller is a shell of his former self, Kerley could be a decent slot guy if they had anyone at all on the outside. The line does not have the killer mentality of a ground and pound offence. I grindge every time they take the field.
    You put a legit QB on the field with this exact same offense and they would play significantly better all the way around - no doubt in my mind about that.....

That being said, Sparano has been a big disappointment as an offensive coordinator, I expected alot more from him. But again, he could be at least somewhat limited, because of the QB he has to work with....and yes, Suckchez really has been that bad these last 2 years...
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You put a legit QB on the field with this exact same offense and they would play significantly better all the way around - no doubt in my mind about that.....

That being said, Sparano has been a big disappointment as offensive coordinator, I expected alot more from him, but again, he could be at least somewhat limited because of the QB he has to work with....
    Sadly. We won't get to find that out anytime soon. Given his contract he will be back pooping the bed on this team next year. Wake me up in 2014.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the most INEPT offence the NFL has EVER seen.

Exaggerate much? First of all, it's not the most inept offense of this year, let alone the most inept offense of all time. Completely inept offenses don't put up 48, 35, 26, and 27 points in various games.

You take a slumping young QB, take AWAY the #1 WR, #1 TE...the #2 WR gets hurt, #2 TE misses stretches of the most recent game .. you're rotating scrap heap talent onto the field .. of course you're going to have an inefficient offense. But again, it's far from INEPT. As has been pointed out, the offensive line and run game have elevated their level of play. It remains to be seen if Braylon can do the same to the passing game.