Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TNF Bengals - Eagles

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Genius View Post
    The Bengals MUST lose 1 more game.

The Steelers MUST lose 2 more games.

The Jets MUST win-out..

If one of the top two things doesn't happen, then the Colts must lose-out (with Texans twice that may happen).

Now: the Bengals MUST lose tonight bc they face the Steelers next week (Pitt wont lose vs the browns) -- if the steelers beat cinci next week, then steelers most likely make playoffs.

Steelers must lose to Cowboys on Sunday

The Jets really do have a legit chance at this..
    I thought it was slightly different because of division tie breakers.

If the Bengals lose tonight and the Steelers lose next week, if they both win the remaining games and the Jets win out, the Jets get the 6th seed in a 3 way tie at 9-7.

The reason being that the Bengals and Steelers would be tied for the final playoff spot, so division tie breakers would come first. Bengals would hold the tiebreaker over Steelers and, thus, the Steelers are eliminated.

The Jets hold the tiebreaker over the Bengals and that's why the Jets get in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    Tonight's game is basically meaningless to the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Game to watch is Pitt Dallas. If Pitt wins they would only need a split against Bengals and Browns to knock Jets out.
    Actually, i think there is a scenario where if the Bengals lose tonight, Steelers lose sunday. Bengals then beat the Steelers next week that we could control our own destiny in week 17.*

*all of this is assuming we win our next two and maintain our strength of victory tiebkreak lead over the bengals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    All are 9-7 at the end and Cinn beats Pitt, and Jets win out, Jets are in as Cinn wins tiebreaker with Pitt and Jets win tiebreaker with Cinn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I thought it was slightly different because of division tie breakers.

If the Bengals lose tonight and the Steelers lose next week, if they both win the remaining games and the Jets win out, the Jets get the 6th seed in a 3 way tie at 9-7.

The reason being that the Bengals and Steelers would be tied for the final playoff spot, so division tie breakers would come first. Bengals would hold the tiebreaker over Steelers and, thus, the Steelers are eliminated.

The Jets hold the tiebreaker over the Bengals and that's why the Jets get in.
    beat me to it....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly now I think Pitt MUST lose-out bc a tiebreaker with them kicks us out.
    Jets win 3 way tie with Pitt and Cincy due to better conference record, but only if Pit loses to Cincy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    All are 9-7 at the end and Cinn beats Pitt, and Jets win out, Jets are in as Cinn wins tiebreaker with Pitt and Jets win tiebreaker with Cinn.
    Not true, depends.

Pittsburgh is currently 2-2 in the division and Cincy is 1-3. 3-way tiebreaker for wildcard where two of the teams are in the same division, division record is used to eliminate 1. Even if Cincy beat the Steelers but lost to the Ravens, they'd be 2-4 and lose that tiebreaker if the Steelers beat the Browns. If both finish 3-3 in the division, it goes to best W-L between the two in common games, of which I'm not sure who would have that edge.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Jets win 3 way tie with Pitt and Cincy due to better conference record, but only if Pit loses to Cincy.
    if jets and steelers are both 9-7, steelers win. the first part of a tie breaker for two teams with the same record vying for the wild card is head to head. Pitt beat NYJ

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    THEES IS MAKIN' ME CRAY CRAY!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't see Indy as being lock in the dance just yet. Now they will not win at Houston after the Texans got blown out by NE. Then they go to Kansas City for their last home game of the year. Sure, KC is bad but I'm sure Crennel will have them ready and after what happened Im sure they are willing to go all out for their fans. Then the Texans go to Indy for the last game and they might want to win that to secure the number one seed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, back to my point:

Tonight it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the Bengals LOSE the game.

It is as important that the Cowboys beat the Steelers this Sunday.

then Cinci must beat Pitt.

if the Jets win out then they're in just as long as those 3 games pan out the right way... Cinci loses to Philly-- Pitt loses to Dallas-- Pitt loses to Cinci.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I really don't see Indy as being lock in the dance just yet. Now they will not win at Houston after the Texans got blown out by NE. Then they go to Kansas City for their last home game of the year. Sure, KC is bad but I'm sure Crennel will have them ready and after what happened Im sure they are willing to go all out for their fans. Then the Texans go to Indy for the last game and they might want to win that to secure the number one seed.
    Have you seen the Texans pass D lately? In the last few games, they've been lit up by Henne, Stafford, and Brady. Torched. Now they get Luck who throws it 50 times a game. I don't know man, just don't be shocked to see the Colts put up big points on them and split those 2 games. As for KC? C'mon man. The Titans and Bills have a better chance to beat us in front of their home fans than KC has to beat the Colts. Anything is possible, but try to show a little objectivity on the long odds here

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Indianapolis wins 1 of 3 and Pittsburgh wins 2 of 3, the Jets are eliminated no matter what they do.

If Cincinnati wins tonight and we lose on Monday, no matter what Indianapolis or Pittsburgh do on Sunday, we're officially eliminated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If Indianapolis wins 1 of 3 and Pittsburgh wins 2 of 3, the Jets are eliminated no matter what they do.

If Cincinnati wins tonight and we lose on Monday, no matter what Indianapolis or Pittsburgh do on Sunday, we're officially eliminated.
    Call me pessimistic, but with the fanbase getting way too excited about playoffs at 6-7 with a mediocre team, I think it all ends for us by Monday night around 11:45 pm. I'm sure the Bronco fans will be disappointed too...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Call me pessimistic, but with the fanbase getting way too excited about playoffs at 6-7 with a mediocre team, I think it all ends for us by Monday night around 11:45 pm. I'm sure the Bronco fans will be disappointed too...
    Agreed.

If it doesn't end Monday, it ends on the 23rd.

People are bat **** crazy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen the Texans pass D lately? In the last few games, they've been lit up by Henne, Stafford, and Brady. Torched. Now they get Luck who throws it 50 times a game. I don't know man, just don't be shocked to see the Colts put up big points on them and split those 2 games. As for KC? C'mon man. The Titans and Bills have a better chance to beat us in front of their home fans than KC has to beat the Colts. Anything is possible, but try to show a little objectivity on the long odds here
    Of course Im looking through Jet green glasses here but in the end Indy is not that good either. Their opponents combined have scored more points than they have over the course of the year and they are just "lucking" out in a bunch of games. Luck has had some rough outings.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the good thing is that Cinci and Pitt are playing each other-- one of them HAS to lose... hopefully it's Pitt bc they need two losses and cinci only needs 1... the steelers aren't losing to the browns and the Colts aren't losing 3 straight.

Cinci must lose their game tonight... then beat the steelers next week... if Pitt beat dallas this sunday then they MUST lose to the browns in the final week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Agreed.

If it doesn't end Monday, it ends on the 23rd.

People are bat **** crazy.
    If we were 6-7 with a mediocre D and a really good promising QB, I'd probably be excited and really hoping for other teams to lose, etc. I just can't with Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we were 6-7 with a mediocre D and a really good promising QB, I'd probably be excited and really hoping for other teams to lose, etc. I just can't with Sanchez.
    Yep. It's Sanchez. Our D is shutting down Arizona, St. Louis and Jacksonville. Awesome! And when we go up against New England, throttled. Denver would do the same and their defense probably wouldn't even allow us 7. I'd rather be 7-9 with some pride than 9-7 with a 34-0 romping in January.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, back to my point:

Tonight it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that the Bengals LOSE the game.

It is as important that the Cowboys beat the Steelers this Sunday.

then Cinci must beat Pitt.

if the Jets win out then they're in just as long as those 3 games pan out the right way... Cinci loses to Philly-- Pitt loses to Dallas-- Pitt loses to Cinci.
    No its not. The only way this game means anything to the Jets is if the Steelers and Bengals wind up tying next week.

The game is essentially meaningless. If Bengals beat Ravens last week of season Jets are out regardless of the results of the three games you listed in your scenario.