Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Was a Lousy Year to Get a QB

2009 Was a Lousy Year to Get a QB

Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman in the first round - not exactly lighting it up. None of them is looking like they're getting to the SB let alone the HOF.

Anybody know what other QB's were available in that draft, without looking it up? One in the 2nd and one in the 4th and they are already history.

What was the alternative, Jason Campbell? He would have taken the Jets to the SB?

You have to keep 'swinging at the pinata' but sometimes it's just empty.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman in the first round - not exactly lighting it up. None of them is looking like they're getting to the SB let alone the HOF.

Anybody know what other QB's were available in that draft, without looking it up? One in the 2nd and one in the 4th and they are already history.

What was the alternative, Jason Campbell? He would have taken the Jets to the SB?

Sometimes, it's just the year.

The Jets had back to back #1 overall picks. They got a good (not great) WR and an inside linebacker who won player of the year for Pitt. The next year Peyton Manning came out.

Last year was a great year to suck. This year, not so much.

I would trade Sanchez for Stafford so ****ing fast it would make your head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Sometimes, it's just the year.

The Jets had back to back #1 overall picks. They got a good (not great) WR and an inside linebacker who won player of the year for Pitt. The next year Peyton Manning came out.

Last year was a great year to suck. This year, not so much.
    We suck at sucking. That's the Jets for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I would trade Sanchez for Stafford so ****ing fast it would make your head spin.

As a matter of fact. I would run, not walk to make this deal, and throw in this years # 2 to make it happen.

Rhett Bomar! Mike Teel! Stephen Mcgee! ugly crop of QBs that year. And of course Julian Edelman. Pretty ugly draft all around. 2013 draft kinda has that smell

As a matter of fact. I would run, not walk to make this deal, and throw in this years # 2 to make it happen.
    LOL im sure the Lions are dying to pull the trigger on that one

Jets Insider VIP
    The 2013 draft will be as similar year

Hall Of Fame
    Stafford did throw for 5000 yards and 40+ TDs last year. And not all of them were to Megatron.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Out of all the starting QB's today probably only a 1/3 were drafted in the top 10..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Out of all the starting QB's today probably only a 1/3 were drafted in the top 10..
    Correct. Which is why I mentioned the following rounds. Pat White in the second nobody in the third and Steven McGee in the 4th. Ever heard of them?

Non-existent deal is non-existent. Just like the number one all around pick was in 2009.

Non-existent deal is non-existent. Just like the number one all around pick was in 2009.
    Let me get this straight. Are you calling Stafford a bust? Matt Stafford has nothing at all to do with the Lions not winning this year. Pretty sure there are a lot of GM's out there that would LOVE to swap their QB for Stafford. I know I would. Put it this way if he was our QB next year, along with a # 1 back. And Norv Turner as the O.C. ( like I threw that one in) . Little foreshadowing The Jets will make a deep playoff run. Woody get on this.

Let me get this straight. Are you calling Stafford a bust? Matt Stafford has nothing at all to do with the Lions not winning this year. Pretty sure there are a lot of GM's out there that would LOVE to swap their QB for Stafford. I know I would. Put it this way if he was our QB next year, along with a # 1 back. And Norv Turner as the O.C. ( like I threw that one in) . Little foreshadowing The Jets will make a deep playoff run. Woody get on this.
    No I'm not calling out Stafford. I'm talking about the whole draft in general. So he was the one good pick available, out of the question for the Jets, who still isn't "elevating his teammates to the SB". I'm saying it was a lousy year overall. Even though he's the exception his team still isn't going anywhere. You can blame them for taking Sanchez at 5 but there weren't a ton of options. You should be able to find a QB without having a 1-15 record and in '09 that just doesn't seem like it was possible.

If the Qb's are not good in a given year you simply don't take one.

Hall Of Fame
    Last year was good year for QBs, aside from the obvious 2 at the top of the draft, you had Ossweiler, Wilson, Cousins and Foles.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Last year was good year for QBs, aside from the obvious 2 at the top of the draft, you had Ossweiler, Wilson, Cousins and Foles.
    You hate Ryan Tannehill??

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If the Qb's are not good in a given year you simply don't take one.
    That would have been the better plan, but for Woody's Must Win Now mentality and Rex signing up for it.

No I'm not calling out Stafford. I'm talking about the whole draft in general. So he was the one good pick available, out of the question for the Jets, who still isn't "elevating his teammates to the SB". I'm saying it was a lousy year overall. Even though he's the exception his team still isn't going anywhere. You can blame them for taking Sanchez at 5 but there weren't a ton of options. You should be able to find a QB without having a 1-15 record and in '09 that just doesn't seem like it was possible.
    Gattcha. I misunderstood you.