Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: 2009 Was a Lousy Year to Get a QB

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You hate Ryan Tannehill??
    Ooops, my bad forgot him as well.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,704
    If the QB's are bad then you either pick a position that helps a possible future QB or you pick someone that gets after the other teams QB

    FS, SS, ILB, RB, TE, G, C, RT are luxury pieces and shouldn't, at the very least, be taken in the first round unless they truly are once in a generation type players

    QB, DE, WR, DT, LT, CB (debatable) should always been looked at as being the top of your board for the first three rounds every draft

  3. #23
    Bad GM's treat QB like other positions.

    Good GM's understand that tanking years when transcendent talent is available in the following draft is well worth it for the long run health of your franchise. Or at least being able to trade up for the correct draft slots to attain that talent.

    Colts, Giants, and Redskins are all good examples of this.

    As such, not understanding or acknowledging that QB play has more influence on your team's future than even your coach or the entire defensive side of the ball indicates you aren't qualified to be a GM.

    And before I hear "Bill Polian 2013!!!" Understand that he allowed Peyton to be on team's with nothing around him aside from a WR and 1 TE......he had to step in crap to get Sanders.

    And don't even get started on the 1990s Bills and the repeated failures.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Ooops, my bad forgot him as well.
    Last year's draft had at least two picks that would have surpassed Cam Newton or Bradford or Stafford as the #1 in their respective years.

    Perhaps 3, depending on what you think of Tannehill.

  5. #25
    If you miss on a first round quarterback it can set your team back for a decade. So if there are not good quarterbacks in a given year, you simply wait it out. The LAST thing that you do is trade up for one.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by BluVayner View Post
    If you miss on a first round quarterback it can set your team back for a decade. So if there are not good quarterbacks in a given year, you simply wait it out. The LAST thing that you do is trade up for one.
    True to a point, but it was very obvious that both Griffin and Luck were exceptional talents, beyond other drafts.

    Tannehill was probably more in line with the previous #1's. I wouldn't trade up for Tannehill.

    I would trade up for either Luck or Griffin, even spending multiple #1's over the next draft or two for him.

    If that doesn't make sense to you then you don't understand what makes either so special.

    I would say that trading up for a guy with one year of starting in College (Sanchez) is terrible.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I would trade Sanchez for Stafford so ****ing fast it would make your head spin.
    And you'd be stuck as well..

    Stafford isn't winning a super bowl and that is the whole point to the damn thing.

    Freeman is the only one who made a jump in production this year but he sucks most of the time too.


    It was a bad year for QBs. It sucks...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And you'd be stuck as well..

    Stafford isn't winning a super bowl and that is the whole point to the damn thing.

    Freeman is the only one who made a jump in production this year but he sucks most of the time too.


    It was a bad year for QBs. It sucks...
    Foolish statement. Plain and simple. Will he win one with the Lions? Doubt it. Could he win one with the 49ers. Without a doubt. Stafford has all the size and ability in the world. If in the right place he is a top 6 or 7 QB easy.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Foolish statement. Plain and simple. Will he win one with the Lions? Doubt it. Could he win one with the 49ers. Without a doubt. Stafford has all the size and ability in the world. If in the right place he is a top 6 or 7 QB easy.
    No he's not... He throws up the ball far too much, has a penchant for getting hurt and is simply not very athletic.

    Those guys don't win.


    And even for the people who loved Griffin, I wouldn't have even bothered with him. Simply because of the injury problems... He won't have a healthy career and those guys are just wastes of time no matter how good they are. He'll never play a full season healthy. Watched him get his bell rung plenty of times at Baylor without even legitimate NFL type of contact.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And you'd be stuck as well..

    Stafford isn't winning a super bowl and that is the whole point to the damn thing.

    Freeman is the only one who made a jump in production this year but he sucks most of the time too.


    It was a bad year for QBs. It sucks...
    It's insane to decide after 4 years that a "QB isn't winning a Super Bowl". Especially one who has played fairly well, if uneven, over his 4 seasons

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    No he's not... He throws up the ball far too much, has a penchant for getting hurt and is simply not very athletic.

    Those guys don't win.


    And even for the people who loved Griffin, I wouldn't have even bothered with him. Simply because of the injury problems... He won't have a healthy career and those guys are just wastes of time no matter how good they are. He'll never play a full season healthy. Watched him get his bell rung plenty of times at Baylor without even legitimate NFL type of contact.
    Griffin is not Vick or Newton and shouldn't be pigeonholed.

    He is effective from the pocket. In fact he's lethal from there.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I would trade Sanchez for Stafford so ****ing fast it would make your head spin.
    Of course, I doubt that trade would include Megatron. Stafford ain't doing $hit throwing to Clyde Gates and Mardy Gilyard.

    Shoot I could throw to Calvin Johnson.

    I retrospect, I would have traded down and drafted Freeman.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    True to a point, but it was very obvious that both Griffin and Luck were exceptional talents, beyond other drafts.

    Tannehill was probably more in line with the previous #1's. I wouldn't trade up for Tannehill.

    I would trade up for either Luck or Griffin, even spending multiple #1's over the next draft or two for him.

    If that doesn't make sense to you then you don't understand what makes either so special.

    I would say that trading up for a guy with one year of starting in College (Sanchez) is terrible.
    Luck and RG3 are this year's version of Cam. Let's see what happens next year...

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by brex View Post
    Of course, I doubt that trade would include Megatron. Stafford ain't doing $hit throwing to Clyde Gates and Mardy Gilyard.

    Shoot I could throw to Calvin Johnson.

    I retrospect, I would have traded down and drafted Freeman.
    C.J does help him no doubt. I know talking hypotheticle is pretty much useless. Still if given the choice going into next year between the three I would take Stafford over both Sanchez and Freeman, in a heartbeat.

  15. #35
    Didn't Freeman come out in that draft also? He's having a solid year this year

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by brex View Post
    Of course, I doubt that trade would include Megatron. Stafford ain't doing $hit throwing to Clyde Gates and Mardy Gilyard.

    Shoot I could throw to Calvin Johnson.

    I retrospect, I would have traded down and drafted Freeman.
    Freeman was drafted in the Jets original slot that year

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Didn't Freeman come out in that draft also? He's having a solid year this year
    Not according to some of the posters here. Apparently 25 tds 8 ints sucks but Matty Stafford has a wing in Canton waiting for him.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    I would trade Sanchez for Stafford so ****ing fast it would make your head spin.
    Yeah you're really comparing major league to minor league there. Sanchez will hold a clipboard in 2014, wish it was next year, in 2015 out of the league and an In-Out Burger Franchise Owner.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If the Qb's are not good in a given year you simply don't take one.
    +1,000.

    Not fair to every other man on the roster, along with making the fan base miserable until the bust is off the team, and QB is such a political position. Many times the front office hangs on much longer than they should because they're married to the pick, admit failure, there goes their livelihood.

    NY Jets...Exhibit A...someone recently said our QB is built like a Place Kicker haha. Keeps getting better being a fan of this team.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Griffin is not Vick or Newton and shouldn't be pigeonholed.

    He is effective from the pocket. In fact he's lethal from there.
    None of those QBs are anything alike IMO. Newton is more of a bigger McNair. Can manage games but will try to do it all alone at times. Vick is more of a crappy Cunningham. Exiting to watch but not winning you anything with his brain. RG3 is most comparable to a 28-29 year old Steve Young. Great ability but also smart enough to make all the plays a pocket QB can.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us